1.5L issues

First Name
jclifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
And that would be my advice to any and all buying a Sport period. Hindsite now, I have always jsut taken really good care and nothing major has ever happened. Onc3 the repairts start getting more frequent etc....I look at trading, complete engine replacment at 74k miles, not expecting that.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
And that would be my advice to any and all buying a Sport period. Hindsite now, I have always jsut taken really good care and nothing major has ever happened. Onc3 the repairts start getting more frequent etc....I look at trading, complete engine replacment at 74k miles, not expecting that.
Auto manufacturers struggle to meet CAFE regulations on MPGs and then there's the pollution rules. So, they produce a turbo charged small displacement engine that works hard. . The engine power is adequate but I'm not a fan of the 1.5L at all. If the '24 had a 2.0L option in the OBX, I'd probably buy one because I do like the BS.
I took a chance and bought a BS with the 1.5L because I only do 4K miles per. If I did the average mileage, no way on the 1.5L.

First Name
jclifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I just experienced a turbo failure when the prop seized up and oil pressure built up until it blew oil through the system and out the exhaust and in the shoert 2-3 miles limping home to have it towed to the dealership, complete engine failure, i have 74000 miles on it. Never got an extended warranty, and no issues before this, now it looks as if it is dead in the water, as a matter of speaking (unless a miracle turned a river to run through the dealerships lot and leave my sport under water). This news is not easy to wrap my head around on such a new car, now my 88 defender, comes with the territory, not so cool in a shiny Ford.
Just an update on my failed turbo. It is amazing how many people in the service industry (auto) have this attitude that our expectations of quality should end because the warranty has expired. Lady, I understand the warranty is up, this is not supposed to happen to any new vehicle at the 70k mile mark.
The loxcal Ford service team is working on a quote to replace everything , including the engine. He was seriously throwing 12 k around. Everytime I talk to FMC they will give me a case number, the next time I try to reference it it is closed.
My best bet, although I hope this does not happen, is as 2022 broncos get closer to 70k miles, turbos start failing and I will be poised for the full repair. I rebuild old defenders, and there was so much about the Bronco Sport that reminded me of the defender, side of the road with the hood up and a storm of black smoke behind is not a similarity I was hoping for.
Sponsored