Frost on inside of Windshield

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
I've taken my Bronco to the service department to get checked because I'm experiencing my windshield frosting up on the inside. When they checked out my truck today, they said that my driver's side floor board is soaked (though to my knowledge when I dropped it off yesterday, it wasn't). I'm never in my truck and maybe drive it a few miles once a week. I did, however, just get it washed on Saturday to include the undercarriage (it had snowed here), to clean it up for it's appointment. They said they also took the drivers door apart and noticed where it had water go through it as well. In the past, I've noticed a few drips of water on the inside of my windshield randomly, but honestly never gave it deep thought. Is anyone else experiencing water inside of their Bronco? The service department is going to turn my heater on the floor board to get it to dry out and see if this remedies the situation, but it still doesn't say how it got there to begin with...

****Update****
I received a phone call from the service department and they finally took my truck through the car wash! They found a leak by my brake pedal where water was coming inside. Once back in the shop, they found a bunch of leaves were clogging up the Cowl drain and making it go inside instead. They cleaned it up, ran it through two more washes, and didn't see another leak. Hopefully this is all that was wrong, and my truck can get back to normal now!! Glad it wasn't anything too difficult!! Now as long as I don't start freezing up again, then all should be good! Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
I've had a similar issue with a different and older vehicle, just during the summer. Took me a while to figure out why I was getting condensation on the windshield and connect the dots. Not until I had noticed wet carpet. Turns out it was clogged up sunroof drains.

I also had windshield replaced on the same older vehicle and could hear road noise at different speeds afterwards. Guy came back, ran a test and quickly narrowed it down to where more caulk had to be applied. It was at the bottom of the windshield but had it been at the top or side, I can see how that could let some water in.

So, I'd have them check those 2 areas: sunroof drains and windshield seal. HTH.

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
I've had a similar issue with a different and older vehicle, just during the summer. Took me a while to figure out why I was getting condensation on the windshield and connect the dots. Not until I had noticed wet carpet. Turns out it was clogged up sunroof drains.

I also had windshield replaced on the same older vehicle and could hear road noise at different speeds afterwards. Guy came back, ran a test and quickly narrowed it down to where more caulk had to be applied. It was at the bottom of the windshield but had it been at the top or side, I can see how that could let some water in.

So, I'd have them check those 2 areas: sunroof drains and windshield seal. HTH.
thank you!! Yes… definitely making a list and every thought helps!!When I originally called them they said they hadn’t heard of this ever happening so I want to give them as many ideas as possible!!

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
I've taken my Bronco to the service department to get checked because I'm experiencing my windshield frosting up on the inside. When they checked out my truck today, they said that my driver's side floor board is soaked (though to my knowledge when I dropped it off yesterday, it wasn't). I'm never in my truck and maybe drive it a few miles once a week. I did, however, just get it washed on Saturday to include the undercarriage (it had snowed here), to clean it up for it's appointment. They said they also took the drivers door apart and noticed where it had water go through it as well. In the past, I've noticed a few drips of water on the inside of my windshield randomly, but honestly never gave it deep thought. Is anyone else experiencing water inside of their Bronco? The service department is going to turn my heater on the floor board to get it to dry out and see if this remedies the situation, but it still doesn't say how it got there to begin with...

****Update****
I received a phone call from the service department and they finally took my truck through the car wash! They found a leak by my brake pedal where water was coming inside. Once back in the shop, they found a bunch of leaves were clogging up the Cowl drain and making it go inside instead. They cleaned it up, ran it through two more washes, and didn't see another leak. Hopefully this is all that was wrong, and my truck can get back to normal now!! Glad it wasn't anything too difficult!! Now as long as I don't start freezing up again, then all should be good! Thanks for your help!!

***New Update*** (February 22, 2022)
So what they originally thought was some leaves in around my cowl drain causing the issue, turned out not to be the problem. Though they still can't figure out where all the water is coming in, they are now resealing my entire vehicle and replacing my molded carpet. The amount of water that has continued to saturate my driver's side floorboard is unbelievable! The mold is so bad in my carpet now that you can smell it as soon as you open the door (so imagine what it’s like being inside with the doors closed). Just turning over 6K miles, hopefully the work they are putting into this will fix the issue for good. This is a lot to go through for a vehicle that's hardly driven. If they find an exact culprit while everything is torn out of my truck, I'll be sure to post it!! Thanks again to everyone that contributed their thoughts; I really appreciated your time!!

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
***Update (February 25, 2022)***
I just received a call letting me know that the dealership found where my truck was leaking. They said the firewall had been tack welded but never finished. They have sealed this now and are still waiting on a few backordered items to replace my carpet. They said this is a very common issue, so please have your dealership look here if they can't find or see a leak. I should be getting it back sometime in the next week.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Very common issue? On BMW, Mercedes, Range Rovers, Toyotas, Nissans etc… or just the cars built out of the plant in Hermosillo MX. Strange they would say it’s common, isn’t there any quality control techs or oversight at the plant? Are you able to upload a photo of where the incursion for water is happening on the firewall?

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
Very common issue? On BMW, Mercedes, Range Rovers, Toyotas, Nissans etc… or just the cars built out of the plant in Hermosillo MX. Strange they would say it’s common, isn’t there any quality control techs or oversight at the plant? Are you able to upload a photo of where the incursion for water is happening on the firewall?
I have nothing… I’m only saying what the guy told me after I asked twice if they found the problem and asked what it was. He seemed awkward about the problem and with telling me what it actually was. My thought was if it was so common then why did they try to blame the sopping wet carpet a month ago on some leaves near the cowl drain… why wouldn’t you check the firewall to begin with if it’s a common issue. I honestly think they just didn’t believe me and really thought I had left my window down during rain causing the water the first time. Also maybe why they ran my truck for hours (with my gas) with the floor heat on to try to dry it instead of using a dehumidifier and maybe a shop vac. Since it happened again, now they believed me and realized they better find a problem. I’m taking their word for it that this is the issue but do feel like pictured documentation on their end would be helpful.

YFD_322

Outer Banks
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You know what “sealing” means when it comes to dealers. Gobs of caulk from Home Depot. Factory seal or nothing. Is there anyway for lemon law? Tell them you cannot go near mold also no matter what they say.

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
They are pulling my carpet out and replacing it including the padding. It smells so bad they honestly don’t have a choice on that part. It does bother me that it’s the firewall and it was half-assed when it was made. It makes me concerned for my safety should something happen as well. And it also bothers me that they seemed nervous when I asked what the problem was. It makes me feel like they’re hiding something honestly. I’ve never had this issue before so not overly sure how to handle it. That’s a lot of the reason I got on here so I’d have some direction and/or ideas on things I should be doing. Lemon law doesn’t apply yet because it has to be 3x for the same issue and this is only twice. I’m certainly not new to picking the lemon on the lot though. Every new vehicle I’ve had has been a lemon but the service people have always eventually fixed the issues (except for Ford) and I’ve survived which I guess is all I can ask for. Our service departments for Ford just aren’t good in our area unfortunately.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
They are pulling my carpet out and replacing it including the padding. It smells so bad they honestly don’t have a choice on that part. It does bother me that it’s the firewall and it was half-assed when it was made. It makes me concerned for my safety should something happen as well. And it also bothers me that they seemed nervous when I asked what the problem was. It makes me feel like they’re hiding something honestly. I’ve never had this issue before so not overly sure how to handle it. That’s a lot of the reason I got on here so I’d have some direction and/or ideas on things I should be doing. Lemon law doesn’t apply yet because it has to be 3x for the same issue and this is only twice. I’m certainly not new to picking the lemon on the lot though. Every new vehicle I’ve had has been a lemon but the service people have always eventually fixed the issues (except for Ford) and I’ve survived which I guess is all I can ask for. Our service departments for Ford just aren’t good in our area unfortunately.
Go to the dealer and ask to see where the issues are and take pictures for future reference . Ask for a detailed repair order .

YFD_322

Outer Banks
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You have to get Ford involved here. You also need documentation. If they are saying something wasn’t complete from the factory from the firewall then you have a huge case on your hands. Also your safety is a concern. How do you know what in the world they forgot. You need a Ford rep involved and not the dealer. They will do anything not to actually do any work. Who knows what they know or what they are hiding. Get documentation that they are saying this is a firewall issue from factory, don’t tell them your plans just get the doc then get rep involved. Isn’t there a rep here on this forum? I’ve seen them in the mustang forums and they usually chime in and get your case expedited. To me that vehicle is not cutting anymore if I owned it! This is way past lemon law imo

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Get documentation that they are saying this is a firewall issue from factory, don’t tell them your plans just get the doc then get rep involved.
If the firewall seal is bad enough to let water in it could allow gases in as well, including carbon monoxide (CO) if the engine is running. I would ask to have the cabin tested for CO. In the mean time don't sit in it for long periods with the engine idling.

YFD_322

Outer Banks
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
If the firewall seal is bad enough to let water in it could allow gases in as well, including carbon monoxide (CO) if the engine is running. I would ask to have the cabin tested for CO. In the mean time don't sit in it for long periods with the engine idling.
You can test it yourself also put your CO alarm on your pass seat and run it for a couple minutes

OP
OP

jcjones

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
You can test it yourself also put your CO alarm on your pass seat and run it for a couple minutes
Agreed! I don’t have a tester but will call Monday morning and add that to their list. I’ve also been randomly having the emergency break come on and not go out. Literally fighting with it to go off so I can drive. Have done a shutdown, wait, and retry without success. If I hurry up and put it in drive, it will stay out but I have to be faster than the glitch!! And again… I park on a very flat area. There’s several little things that have happened- all electronic. While it’s there, they might as well check it all… maybe it’ll save me a trip later.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
At this point I think I would want a vehicle replacement.
Excessive moisture, mold, possible carbon monoxide, wet electronics who knows what else may pop up.
I think with all of the above you may be able to exercise the lemon law.
I would speak with an attorney.
Sponsored