Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Hey all,

just got my thule crossbars and feet today. looking to setup our Smittybuilt 2 person rooftop tent.

so my question is, where are you mounting the tent, closer to the center, to the rear etc. I'm thinking to mount it closer to the rear but just seeing what others are doing. Going to mess around with it tonight, regardless .... anyone???
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey all,

just got my thule crossbars and feet today. looking to setup our Smittybuilt 2 person rooftop tent.

so my question is, where are you mounting the tent, closer to the center, to the rear etc. I'm thinking to mount it closer to the rear but just seeing what others are doing. Going to mess around with it tonight, regardless .... anyone???
I put mine centered and toward the back. But I got the 60in bars so when I get my "narrow basket" and shower I can put the tent to one side and still have room for everything else. This picture is on a pickup but you get the idea. I would center yours unless you are adding things to the top. Also have the ladder drop on the passenger side or driver side. If you have it come off the trunk you can only open the glass hatch from the back.

Ford Bronco Sport Mounting The Rooftop Tent Q's Screenshot_20210824-145809_Chrome

Ford Bronco Sport Mounting The Rooftop Tent Q's 20210618_163700

Ford Bronco Sport Mounting The Rooftop Tent Q's 20210617_171254

OP
OP
AndyMac204

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put mine centered and toward the back. But I got the 60in bars so when I get my "narrow basket" and shower I can put the tent to one side and still have room for everything else. This picture is on a pickup but you get the idea. I would center yours unless you are adding things to the top. Also have the ladder drop on the passenger side or driver side. If you have it come off the trunk you can only open the glass hatch from the back.

Ford Bronco Sport Mounting The Rooftop Tent Q's Screenshot_20210824-145809_Chrome
sweet setup!

and thanks for the info, and yes there is 2 ways to mount it, off the rear and off the side. it was suggested in the manual, that it be setup off to the side for smaller suvs.
i appreciate the feedback and photo!

OP
OP
AndyMac204

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just built em!

Ford Bronco Sport Mounting The Rooftop Tent Q's 0E0C087E-01C6-4089-B89F-89690A9A8DB2

OP
OP
AndyMac204

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Yakima jet streams connect with that rubber strap; makes them very sturdy. No movement at all ?
thats good to hear, makes me confident haha. hopefully tomorrow after work, the tent will be up there.
3500 km roadtrip comin up!

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
thats good to hear, makes me confident haha. hopefully tomorrow after work, the tent will be up there.
3500 km roadtrip comin up!
One issue I have when I mount the RTT; my wife is 4'11" ??? she uses a step stool, fully extends her arms to get it up. My tent weighs 105lbs and dimensions are 48"x42" so it's a little awkward.

OP
OP
AndyMac204

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One issue I have when I mount the RTT; my wife is 4'11" ??? she uses a step stool, fully extends her arms to get it up. My tent weighs 105lbs and dimensions are 48"x42" so it's a little awkward.
oh dude lol … at least you two make it work!
my gf and i are both just over 6 feet tall, height is no issue, strength is another haha!

Clarebear

Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...future owner of Bronco Sport

...are those the original side rails or did you upgrade? what are the crossbars? should this be done because the factory side rails are decorative (read: shit) or...???? We are looking at Baroud or other such tent apparatus... thanks in advance

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
...are those the original side rails or did you upgrade? what are the crossbars? should this be done because the factory side rails are decorative (read: shit) or...???? We are looking at Baroud or other such tent apparatus... thanks in advance
Original side rails; w/o the moon roof it's rated for 800lbs parked and 150lbs while moving. I got the Yakima Jetstreams to go with my rtt for easy install.

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
So exactly why would someone want to do this? Seems a great way to either scratch up the BS , break a roof rail or who knows what else. (not to mention, who wants to climb down a ladder in the middle of the night to take a pee!).

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So exactly why would someone want to do this? Seems a great way to either scratch up the BS , break a roof rail or who knows what else. (not to mention, who wants to climb down a ladder in the middle of the night to take a pee!).
To each their own ?‍♂?
I love my rtt and looking up at the stars, sets up in 10 min, and I have no problem climbing up and down a ladder. My roof is good as well, no issues. My rtt slide right on the crossbar ends and then slides to where I want then I lock it. Goes on and off the roof in 10 min with help from someone to lift up and down.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
To each their own ?‍♂?
I love my rtt and looking up at the stars, sets up in 10 min, and I have no problem climbing up and down a ladder. My roof is good as well, no issues. My rtt slide right on the crossbar ends and then slides to where I want then I lock it. Goes on and off the roof in 10 min with help from someone to lift up and down.
What rtt do you have? I'm considering the the iKamper Mini, prefer the hardshell. Quicker setup than a ground tent. I do like the Yakima clamp system though, pretty slick.

Roof and stock rails typically can hold a standard rtt. It's the crossbars that should be quality and weight rated.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
What rtt do you have? I'm considering the the iKamper Mini, prefer the hardshell. Quicker setup than a ground tent. I do like the Yakima clamp system though, pretty slick.

Roof and stock rails typically can hold a standard rtt. It's the crossbars that should be quality and weight rated.
Yakima skyrise HD2 (4 season tent) weighs 105lbs.
I looked at the ikamper mini; but between price and the size of it. Didn't make sense to me, since it wasn't 4 seasons and the Yakima has a skylight to do stargazing. I did like the hardshell feature of pop-up tents; but they don't seem too durable. No rain fly for when it's windy and rainy to protect the sides.

Last edited:

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
To each their own ?‍♂?

Rock on my friend.
Sponsored