ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Chip supply going from Bad to Worse.....

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that the chip shortage will end any time soon, and now, Ford supplier and Japanese chipmaker Rohm expects the crisis to last at least through next year, according to Bloomberg.
Full Article
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
This story is starting to make less and less sense. They said they cut production due to a drop in demand and went on to produce different chips for different products. Probably PulseOx stuff and so on. That makes sense.

OK.

Then the demand for auto chips went back up and they.... what, didn't increase production? They say they did, but can't match the demand? Why is there a backlog of demand? They stopped fabing the auto chips because of a lack of demand. If that's true, they shouldn't have fallen so far behind. Are they not turning the retooled lines back into auto chip fab? Someone isn't telling the whole story on the mystery chip shortage. I am really starting to think companies just like inflated prices and induced demand.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
This story is starting to make less and less sense. They said they cut production due to a drop in demand and went on to produce different chips for different products. Probably PulseOx stuff and so on. That makes sense.

OK.

Then the demand for auto chips went back up and they.... what, didn't increase production? They say they did, but can't match the demand? Why is there a backlog of demand? They stopped fabing the auto chips because of a lack of demand. If that's true, they shouldn't have fallen so far behind. Are they not turning the retooled lines back into auto chip fab? Someone isn't telling the whole story on the mystery chip shortage. I am really starting to think companies just like inflated prices and induced demand.
I would post the reason, but I would get banned.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I wonder if by 'shortage' Ford really means 'shortage at prices we want to pay' -- there's a difference.

Ultimately, I think it's weak the USA can't produce enough of these chips to at least supply domestic firms like Ford.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I wonder if by 'shortage' Ford really means 'shortage at prices we want to pay' -- there's a difference.

Ultimately, I think it's weak the USA can't produce enough of these chips to at least supply domestic firms like Ford.
Tough to compete with cheap labor and less regulations.
You get what you ask for.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The article mentions Rohm supplies chips to Ford, Toyota, and Honda. Does that mean other car manufacturers won't be affected?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
So if you got a 3 year lease, you may want to order you next car soon

OP
OP
ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
The article mentions Rohm supplies chips to Ford, Toyota, and Honda. Does that mean other car manufacturers won't be affected?
Some had the sense to keep supplies of critical components on hand. Unlike the flawed "just in time" mentality used by Ford and others.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Some had the sense to keep supplies of critical components on hand. Unlike the flawed "just in time" mentality used by Ford and others.
I was wondering about other car manufacturers because I’ve read on other forums that people order their vehicles, and they are built/shipped within a reasonable amount of time.

OP
OP
ScareCrow

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
TSMC Says a Shortage of Commodity Chips Is Disrupting Trillion-Dollar Industries

If you don't have a $10 chip, you can't ship a $150 million lithography scanner.

The global automotive manufacturing industry received $2.86 trillion in revenue in 2021, according to Statista. Every car uses hundreds of chips these days and that number is set to grow to over 1,500 in the coming years as vehicles become autonomous. But that means that the growing auto industry will depend on chip supply and the semiconductor industry even more than it does today, which is why they have to take chip supply more seriously than ever.

Car makers are not the only manufacturers to suffer from chip undersupply. Even ASML, which is the world's largest maker of lithography scanners — which are used to make chips — has suffered from chip shortages.

Full Article
Sponsored