Yokohama vs Pirelli vs Falken

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Searched by tire size, 225/65/17. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=23234&width=225/&ratio=65&diameter=17&rearWidth=225/&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

As I mentioned before all tires don't show up in their survey results, due to a lack/shortage of info on some tires. But some of those same missing tires have been tested, so test results and survey results should be checked.

Toyo A/TIII has been tested and did, not so great,
Where did the toyos not test well? I read multiple reviews of them that were quite good before I bought them. Here’s one. Seems like they’re at least good enough to be in the running.
https://www.snowest.com/2020/05/review-toyo-open-country-at3
Sponsored

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Thanks for pointing that out. I was filtering Tirerack results down to snow rated only and A/T3W version wasn't showing up. I assumed it was either sold out or not offered in that size (it's available according to Falken's site). Checking out your search I see now that they must've mislabeled that tire as not having snow rating.

Also, interestingly enough, Falken's site shows 225 version to be heavier than 235 one by 2.6lb. Not sure how that makes sense. I wonder if it'd be better to get 235 version instead, cause me thinks the less weight the better gas milage, right?
The 235s is a OE version of the AT3w, so it had to meet certain criteria for the vehicle it was originally going on. Without knowing the full details, I would say there was a weight criteria to meet, hence why it weights less than the 225s.

We get this question regarding the C and E load versions of the LT285/70R17. The C load of this size was originally for the newer Jeeps, so it weighs more than the E load. However, the tire was built to meet Jeep's criteria.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Where did the toyos not test well? I read multiple reviews of them that were quite good before I bought them. Here’s one. Seems like they’re at least good enough to be in the running.
https://www.snowest.com/2020/05/review-toyo-open-country-at3

A TR test

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=275

Keep in mind that the above was a LT tire test, Light Truck. The below, test is where the Falken did better than the General ATX in their non LT tire test.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=282

Could the General be a better LT tire and the Falken worse??? I don't know but I'd assume their performance stayed relative between the LT and non LT.

Last edited:

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I have the Pirelli AT+ in 245. So far so good. They give the BS a slightly more truck like feel compared to the Scorpion ATR, but feel like a softer ride. I suspect it’s because of the thicker tread. I’m probably taking a 1-2mpg hit with city driving. There might be a little bit more road noise but I don’t notice it when the radio is on.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
The 235s is a OE version of the AT3w, so it had to meet certain criteria for the vehicle it was originally going on. Without knowing the full details, I would say there was a weight criteria to meet, hence why it weights less than the 225s.
Thanks for confirming 225s vs 235s weight specs info.

I had always assumed that larger diameter tire with wider contact surface (more resistance) and generally heavier negatively affects the fuel economy. With Falken 235s being lighter than 225s it makes me scratch my head wondering if that's still true in this case or is it about even.

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Thanks for confirming 225s vs 235s weight specs info.

I had always assumed that larger diameter tire with wider contact surface (more resistance) and generally heavier negatively affects the fuel economy. With Falken 235s being lighter than 225s it makes me scratch my head wondering if that's still true in this case or is it about even.
that's typically the case. However, since the 235s (part# 59000690) is OE, I'm pretty sure it was made lighter than a 225 in order to meet MPG/braking/acceleration criteria for Ford.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Went with 225/65R17 Falken A/T Trail in the end (not the AT3W ones). Several minor reasons had swayed me to Falken. I really didn't feel strongly about one brand vs the other tbhwy.

Ivan Nigro Yague

Badlands
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have the Pirelli AT+ in 245. So far so good. They give the BS a slightly more truck like feel compared to the Scorpion ATR, but feel like a softer ride. I suspect it’s because of the thicker tread. I’m probably taking a 1-2mpg hit with city driving. There might be a little bit more road noise but I don’t notice it when the radio is on.
Do you have pictures to show us from your BS with the 245 AT Plus?
Sponsored