LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
When trying to secure the Timberline towers to the Jetstream bars per the OEM instructions... After tightening with the Torque Screwdriver they give you... My towers did not grip, and could be easily slid back-and-forth by hand. I ended up back at Rack Attack Chicago where I bought them. The Tech said he had never seen this problem before. We tried mine against the spare and the demo unit they had in the shop, and those were fine. Be advised: Three of the four towers in the box were defective... I suspect that the person working on the Assembly line that day put the C-clip that keeps the screw from falling out, in the wrong groove. This kept the T-slot nut from tightening all the way. Wouldn't surprise me if there are other Towers out there with this same defect... JH at Rack Attack Chicago was awesome; He swapped out the towers and it's now all good.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Timberline - Factory Defect 20220924_114943
Sponsored

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When trying to secure the Timberline towers to the Jetstream bars per the OEM instructions... After tightening with the Torque Screwdriver they give you... My towers did not grip, and could be easily slid back-and-forth by hand. I ended up back at Rack Attack Chicago where I bought them. The Tech said he had never seen this problem before. We tried mine against the spare and the demo unit they had in the shop, and those were fine. Be advised: Three of the four towers in the box were defective... I suspect that the person working on the Assembly line that day put the C-clip that keeps the screw from falling out, in the wrong groove. This kept the T-slot nut from tightening all the way. Wouldn't surprise me if there are other Towers out there with this same defect... JH at Rack Attack Chicago was awesome; He swapped out the towers and it's now all good.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Timberline - Factory Defect 20220924_114943
good thing it’s easy to notice. Good job testing during build. Oh man…. My software engineer is coming out!!!!!

must…. Use…. Nature…. Machine…. Must…. Drive…. Now….

OP
OP
LazyDirtFarmer

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
good thing it’s easy to notice. Good job testing during build. Oh man…. My software engineer is coming out!!!!!

must…. Use…. Nature…. Machine…. Must…. Drive…. Now….
In case you haven't guessed... I'm a Quality Engineer :inspect:

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When I say Software engineer…. QA is my specialization. Hahaha.

I figgured because your defect report was well detailed with steps to reproduce. The only thing missing was the store saying “works on our truck”. Haha.

Augsburg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sprinter 4x4, '23 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had the same apparent conflict shown in your first photo, but if you wiggle the long bolt around and unthread it sufficiently, it fully clears the hex head you need to access. You can then easily tighten down the cross bar to the mounting foot. Yakima could provide better instructions to make this clear.
Sponsored