Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey there folks,

Looking to get myself an Outer Banks with the upgraded sound system, which means I'll be getting the wireless charging pad as well. From what I understand, the charging pad doesn't work with carplay, right? You'd need a separate wire going to the USB port to make it work?

If that's the case, does leaving your phone on that charging pad while it's plugged into USB cause issues? Seems like the charging pad would be the perfect place to put your phone even if you don't want to use it for charging, but I wonder if there's any issue with charging your phone two ways at once. Thanks!
Sponsored

Mike_L

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey there folks,

Looking to get myself an Outer Banks with the upgraded sound system, which means I'll be getting the wireless charging pad as well. From what I understand, the charging pad doesn't work with carplay, right? You'd need a separate wire going to the USB port to make it work?

If that's the case, does leaving your phone on that charging pad while it's plugged into USB cause issues? Seems like the charging pad would be the perfect place to put your phone even if you don't want to use it for charging, but I wonder if there's any issue with charging your phone two ways at once. Thanks!
You are correct. You need to plug your phone in to use carplay and all the apps on your phone. The charging pad it a convenient place to keep your phone regardless, so I do it quite frequently with no issues.

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey there folks,

There are several aftermarket dongles that can be plugged into an onboard USB port to provide wireless carplay. I only have experience with the cplay2air dongle which works relatively well but is not as fast or reliable as the wired connection.

cplay2air

carlinkit

ottocast

I'm sure there are others ...

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Never had a problem, had iPhone plugged in and laying on wireless charger with no problems.
Sponsored