Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco?

Headsong

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
Just using the discussion forum.
Trying to have discussion about a vehicle. A piece of machinery.
Too many on this forum taking it personally like we're talking about their mom...
Geez emotional let it gooooo.
Some of us process verbally with comments that are disguised questions....
Sponsored

DanielFE

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
Well, just to offer an opinion from a new Bronco Sport FE owner.

I too am on the ever lengthening order/reservation/wish(myth?)-list for the Bronco (full-size).
With-out the obvious elephant in the room for 2020, the original timeline for the Bronco was perfect for me and coincided with the return of my 3 year lease vehicle. I never even gave a second glance to the Bronco Sport when it was revealed.

But, then 2020 happened... and kept happening...

I wanted an adventure vehicle that I could take to places like Big Bend, CO etc that i generally drive to with my friends in their capable off-roaders, but it also needs to work for my usual driving in a major metropolitan area (DFW). Over the past 6 months or so I have spent an inordinate amount of time in seclusion researching possible options. At one point i even texted my friend that spent,what i think, is an inordinate amount of $ on a TRD Tacoma and asked him if he would make the same decision again. I explained in my text that I was doing everything possible not to buy a Subaru. I grew up in Maine, some of my best friends currently drive Subarus along with their spouses. They are super reliable and super capable, but not super exciting.
Just my opinion.
Like McBrideless pointed out, the Bronco Sport is undoubtedly not perfect at anything but seems to be a great middle ground for just about everything. And its just a little different.

Since you have the Subaru already, you seem to be in a perfect position to not only wait on the Bronco but also wait for the year 2 or 3 refinements. The Sport probably wont do anything better than your Subaru. A lateral move.

Daniel

Robisten8

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition, 2020 Ranger Screw
Didn’t want to wait for 12-18-24 months for Ford to get there act together on the full size Bronco.
This right here is the reason we pulled the trigger on the Sport. I'm sure there will be cancellations on the full size and they'll be dealer inventory, but there is a crap ton of reserved Broncos being ordered for customers. When the full size show up at dealers and nobody has them reserved, prepare to pay 20K in markups for the first year model. It happened to the Raptor, it will definitely happen with the full size Bronco. Dealers are licking their chops for Broncos to arrive and orders to be cancelled. That means they can basically sell them to the highest bidder.

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Well, just to offer an opinion from a new Bronco Sport FE owner.

I too am on the ever lengthening order/reservation/wish(myth?)-list for the Bronco (full-size).
With-out the obvious elephant in the room for 2020, the original timeline for the Bronco was perfect for me and coincided with the return of my 3 year lease vehicle. I never even gave a second glance to the Bronco Sport when it was revealed.

But, then 2020 happened... and kept happening...

I wanted an adventure vehicle that I could take to places like Big Bend, CO etc that i generally drive to with my friends in their capable off-roaders, but it also needs to work for my usual driving in a major metropolitan area (DFW). Over the past 6 months or so I have spent an inordinate amount of time in seclusion researching possible options. At one point i even texted my friend that spent,what i think, is an inordinate amount of $ on a TRD Tacoma and asked him if he would make the same decision again. I explained in my text that I was doing everything possible not to buy a Subaru. I grew up in Maine, some of my best friends currently drive Subarus along with their spouses. They are super reliable and super capable, but not super exciting.
Just my opinion.
Like McBrideless pointed out, the Bronco Sport is undoubtedly not perfect at anything but seems to be a great middle ground for just about everything. And its just a little different.

Since you have the Subaru already, you seem to be in a perfect position to not only wait on the Bronco but also wait for the year 2 or 3 refinements. The Sport probably wont do anything better than your Subaru. A lateral move.

Daniel
Agreed 100%. I don’t think most people have any clue just how badass an Outback is with proper tires. I’m not a hardcore off-roader for the sake of off-roading, but I’ve only encountered one trail I actually wanted to drive that I backed off of, though I have no doubt I could have made it, I just didn’t need to try. I wasn’t thinking of the BS at all until I saw a great review. And in person I love them.

Headsong

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
Dagnabbit! I was ready to settle for a Sport BL/BL and there's one on the way to a nearby dealer....and then my adult daughter asks, when I show her the picture....so the doors come off? No. The roof? No. But that's why you wanted it!!!

So now back into the whirlwind..........just as I was ready to hand over money. Argh....Ford is causing havoc in my head.

NotAnonymous

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Dagnabbit! I was ready to settle for a Sport BL/BL and there's one on the way to a nearby dealer....and then my adult daughter asks, when I show her the picture....so the doors come off? No. The roof? No. But that's why you wanted it!!!

So now back into the whirlwind..........just as I was ready to hand over money. Argh....Ford is causing havoc in my head.
I'll be juggling that until March when I have to s*** or get off the pot with my big Bronco reservation!

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback

She's smart. Listen to her. I'm sure the BL is awesome, but ugh, it would really suck to compromise and then see the Bronco you wanted driving around in a few years.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands

Don't leave me, Headsong. :crackup: When I silently made the decision to forgo my Bronco reservation for a Bronco Sport, I saw your name and thought to myself "I remember him from Bronco6G. Cool...I'm not alone!"

But seriously...listen to your heart AND your daughter. For me, I can no longer justify paying $15-$17K more for a loaded Bronco Badlands when the Sport BL+BL gives me the perfect mix of what I need and most of what I want. I'm fully prepared to hate on the Bronco when I see it on the street. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Headsong

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
Don't leave me, Headsong. :crackup: When I silently made the decision to forgo my Bronco reservation for a Bronco Sport, I saw your name and thought to myself "I remember him from Bronco6G. Cool...I'm not alone!"

But seriously...listen to your heart AND your daughter. For me, I can no longer justify paying $15-$17K more for a loaded Bronco Badlands when the Sport BL+BL gives me the perfect mix of what I need and most of what I want. I'm fully prepared to hate on the Bronco when I see it on the street. I'm sure I'll get over it.
Not yet! Looks like March is the decision point. And that's kinda where I went, too....38k or 53k??? But if I roll back to my BD build, I'm 48k....AND I CAN RUN AROUND TOPLESS!!! (I'm an old guy, don't get overly excited...) which was the whole point. But because I am growing older, I can't wait too long or it won't matter!

Headsong

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
you can get a pretty good amount of wind in the cabin if you roll down the windows, open the moonroof and the back glass. No you don’t get as much open air but it’s hella lot faster sealing it back up
And that's exactly what I figured, too! For 10-15k less...

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Not yet! Looks like March is the decision point. And that's kinda where I went, too....38k or 53k??? But if I roll back to my BD build, I'm 48k....AND I CAN RUN AROUND TOPLESS!!! (I'm an old guy, don't get overly excited...) which was the whole point. But because I am growing older, I can't wait too long or it won't matter!
It's been like 50 years since they made the great Bronco! You can hold out for what you really want if it takes another year.

NotAnonymous

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

As another who has a foot in each forum, the monetary piece (including what I think may be the likely difference in financing the Bronco vs Bronco Sport) may push me to the Sport Badlands/Badlands over the full-size Bronco. Thankfully I can wait out that decision (or another alternative) until mid March.

Headsong

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
It's been like 50 years since they made the great Bronco! You can hold out for what you really want if it takes another year.
It's the insanity that's making me insane, and you may quote me. Several times I've been: TAKE MY MONEY AND PLACE MY ORDER only to then change my mind because they wouldn't/couldn't.....I'm never able to just let my mind rest. And now....2 1/2 more months? Man.....Gotta suck it up.
Sponsored