Who's hoping for a Manual Transmission?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I certainly would. One of the reasons I moved away from Ford was they dropped the manual (I've owned a manual Ranger, Explorer, F-150, and Escape). I replaced the Escape with two manual vehicles, a 2016 CX-5 and a 2018 Colorado. I would like to have one vehicle to consolidate to. At least the Compass is still available in a manual.
I wouldn't say impossible but I'd believe it's highly unlikely. The Sport is a different market. Most people don't drive manuals and the tech in today's automatics are faster, smarter, and more precise at shift points than any driver ever will be. Are manuals fun for those who like to burn through a clutch? Sure...that's why they put it on the full Bronco...same with bigger engines. I'd more likely see a 2.3 raptor style over a stick in the sport. It's a tiny unmarketable niche.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I bought my Subaru Crosstrek primarily because it had a manual transmission. I just sold it and I was never happier to see a manual transmission go in my life. It was the worst manual I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of them.

I really love a great 6-speed manual. But they're just not putting any effort into manual transmissions anymore.
Exactly,
In a sporty small fast car, a well synchronized manual would be fun.
In an Off road power wagon it would be simple, less chance of a major expensive repair, a dune buggy, sure.
But in this little sport ute it would make no sense at all. If you are driving at a performance level where a manual would be cool your destroying your Bronco sport anyway.
It's just not a performance vehicle on or off road, never will be.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
we can hope all we want. But it ain’t gonna happen. new report shows just over 1% of new vehicles sold in 2019 had a manual. Vs 1.4% were EVs.

but a big engine would be nice. 1.5T is weak sauce. 2.0 is ok. Not sporty tho. A 2.3 would be perfect!
Should at least make the 2.0L available as an option in all BS models. But, we don't know what kind of supply chain and government mandate they are operating under.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Should at least make the 2.0L available as an option in all BS models. But, we don't know what kind of supply chain and government mandate they are operating under.
from a marketing perspective I fully disagree. The Badlands is the 2.0. The 1.5 is a perfect engine for the other trim levels. The power is a good fit. Want the bigger motor pay the premium. That's how it works. If you could hand pick every single option on every single trim...what's the point of the trim features? I get everyone wants to squeeze a dime...but the manufacturer has it's profit constraints and build to consider.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
from a marketing perspective I fully disagree. The Badlands is the 2.0. The 1.5 is a perfect engine for the other trim levels. The power is a good fit. Want the bigger motor pay the premium. That's how it works. If you could hand pick every single option on every single trim...what's the point of the trim features? I get everyone wants to squeeze a dime...but the manufacturer has it's profit constraints and build to consider.
Ford offers engine options in most all it's trucks and the Bronco. From a marketing perspective the customer should be able to decide what he wants. I think many people don't need the bells and whistles of the Badlands package, but would pay extra for the 2.0. in a lower trim level. Personally if I could only get the 1.5L, there wouldn't be a BS parked in my garage.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ford offers engine options in most all it's trucks and the Bronco. From a marketing perspective the customer should be able to decide what he wants. I think many people don't need the bells and whistles of the Badlands package, but would pay extra for the 2.0. in a lower trim level. Personally if I could only get the 1.5L, there wouldn't be a BS parked in my garage.
But...this is the sport. It's marketed as an economic option. I honestly never drove the 2.0, the 1.5 was more than enough, my dealer encouraged me to get the 2.0 badlands and the additional features it came with. He explained the dollars and sense in resale. Everyone has a perspective, you paid extra for the 2.0. Ford is happy. I did not want a moonroof or the extras, I did not get the badlands package. What they are doing is in line with many economy target vehicles. Can't have it all. Some probably want a 5.0 coyote. Wish on one hand...
Sponsored