Visited Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The Lil Blue Bronco took us down to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in SW Oklahoma yesterday. It was initially founded as the nation's first bison refuge and it's mission later expanded. It's a great place to view bison, elk, deer and turkey. The Wichita Mountains are among the oldest in the country and only their granite bones remain of the once towering mountains. Unfortunately they were having some controlled elk hunts and much of the refuge was closed. Still had an enjoyable day taking along a neighbor who recently lost his wife and a good friend in an auto accident. He was also seriously injured. Think the day outdoors helped get his mind off their accident. He loves our Bronco, but deer hunts so will likely replace his totaled Lexus with a Ranger Tremor.

We were down there at sunrise and got a little exicitement as we accessed the Bailey Turnpike. It was pitch dark and at the end of the entrance circle something appeared to be blocking the roadway. Took me a second to realize it was the underside of an overturned semi. I swerved to the right shoulder to miss it and found myself bearing down on a stopped semi. Swerved back into the right lane on puddle of diesel fuel. To my surprise, the KO2's never slipped a bit. I didn't need another cup of wake-up coffee after that. We got a few wildlife pics and took the narrow, windy road up 2600 feet to the top of Mt. Scott. Third gear was the ticket to maintaining the 25 mph speed limit up and down. Enjoyed an artillary show from nearby Ft. Sill while we were up on top. Had a good lunch at the historic Old Plantation in nearby Medicine Park. No wind and 76 degrees in Dec. make for a good day outdoors.

I love the BS, but it is not my journey. It is a reliable, utilitariian vehicle that takes us to exciting wild places in comfort. It's taken us along the Rio Grande Gorge to photo Bighorn rams, a month-long excursion to SW Colorado and served as a blind to photo several bucks during the recent rut. Looking forward to many more adventures with it. Planning a month on Perdido Key, FL during Spring neotropical migration. Some pics from yesterday.

Ford Bronco Sport Visited Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Wichitas 095

Ford Bronco Sport Visited Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Wichitas 023

Ford Bronco Sport Visited Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge 50841959326_45facb11cf_o

Ford Bronco Sport Visited Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge 49882984607_5a5a16893c_o
Sponsored

Seebs

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badland/2013 Mustang Convertible
Thanks for this really interesting post; I'll have to add the WMWR to my bucket list. Sounds like you narrowly avoided a terrible accident, so I'm glad you escaped unscathed. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my Badlands during the first week of January.

Blynne

Badlands
First Name
Bridget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Mustang GT, 21 Escape, 22 BS Badlands
Fantastic photos! Thanks to all of you that are traveling in your BS, I am making a list of places to take mine once we get it.