jsf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX
After 20 hours of ownership, I'm very pleased. But there is one thing that seems worse than my 2017 Escape, unless I'm missing something. I use Android Auto, and have been using the AAWireless device so that I don't have to plug it in when I get in the car. In my old Escape, the USB port in the center console was a network port, and now it seems to be only a charge port. The only network ports I see are in the tray behind the gearknob, which means that (a) one port is always occupied; and (b) the cable is always sticking out (the AAWireless device fits in the space behind the tray. Is there some other hidden network port? Oddly, the manual doesn't even tell you where the ports are, instead telling you where they "may be."
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is there some other hidden network port? Oddly, the manual doesn't even tell you where the ports are, instead telling you where they "may be."
Unfortunately, no. BTW, there's a note in the manual in the section about USB ports that reads:

NOTE: Only the USB ports located in the media bin have data transfer capabilities.

Reactions: jsf
OP
OP
jsf

jsf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX
Thanks. But that really seems like something that could have been avoided for roughly 0$, especially since it worked so well on the Escape. I've done a pretty good job of hiding the connection, but there's nothing you can do about a terminal sticking out.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
After 20 hours of ownership, I'm very pleased. But there is one thing that seems worse than my 2017 Escape, unless I'm missing something. I use Android Auto, and have been using the AAWireless device so that I don't have to plug it in when I get in the car. In my old Escape, the USB port in the center console was a network port, and now it seems to be only a charge port. The only network ports I see are in the tray behind the gearknob, which means that (a) one port is always occupied; and (b) the cable is always sticking out (the AAWireless device fits in the space behind the tray. Is there some other hidden network port? Oddly, the manual doesn't even tell you where the ports are, instead telling you where they "may be."
Some models have ports and some do not in the center console is why it "may". Center console plugs are charge only and was done so to make the vehicle cheaper. It may cost an extra 2-5 dollars to make them networked in (totally different cable), but when you manufacture thousands of cars the price can add up quickly.

OP
OP
jsf

jsf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX
Center console plugs are charge only and was done so to make the vehicle cheaper. It may cost an extra 2-5 dollars to make them networked in (totally different cable), but when you manufacture thousands of cars the price can add up quickly.
I hear you, but that's true of just about everything in the car. The question is whether they can spend an extra $2 and charge an extra $10. I would have gladly paid an extra $50 to have networked ports in the console. There are other features I've paid a lot for (cruise control for example) that I will never use. That's OK...I don't expect a car to be built to my exact desires. But when it's cheap to do, it doesn't really matter how the costs add up if you can get folks to pay for them.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I hear you, but that's true of just about everything in the car. The question is whether they can spend an extra $2 and charge an extra $10. I would have gladly paid an extra $50 to have networked ports in the console. There are other features I've paid a lot for (cruise control for example) that I will never use. That's OK...I don't expect a car to be built to my exact desires. But when it's cheap to do, it doesn't really matter how the costs add up if you can get folks to pay for them.
I get it. I would also like it, but Ford has to keep vehicles competitive. Believe me, it's a complicated formula and odd sets of variables.
Sponsored

Reactions: jsf