Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Just a wild idea I have been tossing around, but if someone wants to add turn signals- like a signal on the mirror, where might you tap into that harness? The headlights seem to do some sort of advanced internal switching which turns off the DRL and turns on the blinker. So is there an easy way to tap that line, or is it all logic gated internally? Would it be better making a run from off the rears?
Sponsored

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Last edited:

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just a wild idea I have been tossing around, but if someone wants to add turn signals- like a signal on the mirror, where might you tap into that harness? The headlights seem to do some sort of advanced internal switching which turns off the DRL and turns on the blinker. So is there an easy way to tap that line, or is it all logic gated internally? Would it be better making a run from off the rears?
Interesting Idea.
Here is the wiring for the turn signals, front and rear.
Ford Bronco Sport Turn signals TurnS1
Ford Bronco Sport Turn signals TurnS2

Also can be found at the towing connector. Yellow is Left, Green is Right.

Edit: Looks like this is also found at the door modules. Calls out the mirrors actually.
Ford Bronco Sport Turn signals TurnS3

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Interesting Idea.

Thanks for these! Tentatively it looks like we'd want to sample signal-power from the BCM side FETs driving the "Turn LP" (Turn Lamp) in each of the headlight assemblies for front-right (CLS25 Yellow-with-Violet-Stripe) and front-left assemblies (CLS21 Blue-with-Green-Stripe). I say "sample" because the circuitry around the FETs might be instrumented to gauge load through the FET, so the possibility of driving LED strips directly might need to be balanced against driving low-power mechanical relays or SSRs instead.

Looks like this is also found at the door modules. Calls out the mirrors actually.
Alternatively, if the BCM is programmed to drive the driver's (DDM) and passenger's (PDM) door modules and the leads are populated in the downstream wiring harnesses, it might be possible to leverage the mirror-signal circuits directly.

(a few re-edits of my post made to clean-up layout, etc…)

OP
OP
Glamdring70

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I say "sample" because the circuitry around the FETs might be instrumented to gauge load through the FET, so the possibility of driving LED strips directly might need to be balanced against driving low-power mechanical relays or SSRs instead.
This is sort of what I was afraid of in the OP. Most all of the Badlands lighting is LED modules and they can be finicky about voltage and loads. But the taillamps are traditional incandescent bulbs. That's why I was wondering if the rear is a better tap point. Must have something to do with trailering connector compatibility.

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I found something interesting while looking around the parts catalog. Here is a Bronco Sport mirror... listed for a LOT of options I have not seen. Including Turn Signals, Puddle Lamps, and Auto fold.
I cant seem to track down the part numbers for the lamp, but it definitely exists.

Anyone see this before?

Ford Bronco Sport Turn signals MirrorLam

linkovich

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Thanks for these! Tentatively it looks like we'd want to sample signal-power from the BCM side FETs driving the "Turn LP" (Turn Lamp) in each of the headlight assemblies for front-right (CLS25 Yellow-with-Violet-Stripe) and front-left assemblies (CLS21 Blue-with-Green-Stripe). I say "sample" because the circuitry around the FETs might be instrumented to gauge load through the FET, so the possibility of driving LED strips directly might need to be balanced against driving low-power mechanical relays or SSRs instead.

Alternatively, if the BCM is programmed to drive the driver's (DDM) and passenger's (PDM) door modules and the leads are populated in the downstream wiring harnesses, it might be possible to leverage the mirror-signal circuits directly.

(a few re-edits of my post made to clean-up layout, etc…)
I'm looking at a Badlands or Outer Banks, and I want some kind of side signal on it. I've had some experience with Forscan and modifying the driver and passenger modules, so this is very interesting.

Does anyone know if Ford has any plans to add signals to these mirrors (and to the Maverick)? Lately, Ford is on a kick to REMOVE side mirror turn signals, so I'm not surprised that it seems like the BS and Maverick were designed without them from the start.

OP
OP
Glamdring70

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I got these today. Have not installed them yet waiting on tips about wiring them in.
Wow, how did you pull that off!? I ordered the same thing about 2 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped! After I checked out, it said arriving March 23-27! But they were $48 not $75. I may try a new order and cancel the other one...

Anyhow, I am still planning to wire them the same way; tap at the rear lamp and run it up and over. It's a lot of wire to run but my gut tells me the basic circuit of the taillamps is going to be less headache. Another option is to just tap them to ignition power and have them on constantly.

E: Well, I got in contact with their CS. Took about 15 minutes of assuring them that the system was telling me a delivery date two months sooner than my order said, but I now have a pair arriving next week. ? If I figure anything out I will report back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glamdring70

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
So, I got my shipment today. I haven't dropped them in yet, still deciding if I want them to blink or be always on or some other combination. Came back to the thread for the schematic posted earlier up.

What struck me as funny, is that they are SUCH a Chinese knock-off, that the backside actually says FoMoCo and has the original part number molded on them that these are stolen from!! The wires are a little thinner gauge than I would like. Looks like maybe 24. Auto lights should be 18 or 20 IMO. They come with a nice foam seal where they pop in, but the wire on the back of the light isn't sealed. Needs caulk or hot glue to seal the leads, but then maybe the LED needs a vent hole for some reason!?

Edit: Put my more thorough write up on my build thread:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/turn-signals.4186/post-71432

Last edited:

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Interesting Idea.

Also can be found at the towing connector. Yellow is Left, Green is Right.

Edit: Looks like this is also found at the door modules. Calls out the mirrors actually.
is there any wire going into the front headlights that stays on with the DRLs? Or is that wire only attached to the lower side markers?
Sponsored