Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The Truth About Cars has published a review of the Bronco Sport. It tested a Broco Sport in Badlands trim--minus the premium package--because the author wanted to test the off-road capability. Don't read this expecting an off-road review; the author himself admits he doesn't "venture much into the great outdoors." He took the car to Badlands Off Road Park in Attica, IN (I get the impression TTAC uses this area for vehicle testing) so he could try out the different GOAT modes, and that's about it.

The review is generally positive, but also confusing. For example, the author says the RAV4 and CR/V are more "well rounded" (an adjective that seems to mean "better" in this review) than the Bronco Sport while acknowledging neither can keep up with the Bronco Sport off road. He doesn't really explain what he means other than to say the Ford's interior is "chintzy," and refers to the SYNC 3 system as "much maligned." I'm not sure who he is referring to here; SYNC 3 has received wide acclaim in the automotive media for its simplicity and ease of use. Nor does the author take the time to explain what he means by "chintzy" when it comes to the Bronco Sport's interior. I've ridden in both my neighbor's RAV4 and my father-in-law's CR/V; these are inexpensive daily drivers whose interiors are made with materials meant to take a beating--just like the Bronco Sport. Maybe my sense of aesthetics is stunted, but I don't see any better interior materials, design, or workmanship with the Toyota or Honda.

The one part I believe the author nailed:

Who Should Buy It

The outdoorsy person who needs/wants a small, five-seat crossover than has true off-road chops. The city-dweller who likes the boxy shape also might want the Bronco Sport, but if he/she never leaves the pavement, thereā€™s probably no need for the Badlands trim, unless engine power matters a lot.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Reading reviews done by a ā€˜BOTā€™ or maybe a human that has never even touched a BS once again. For the soul purpose to get clicks for advertising and data mining purposes.
TTAC, just another useless chunk of internet babble.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Well rounded means bland, uninspiring, and worse, unexciting. Well rounded is average but not exceptionally good at anything.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for posting this. Iā€™d read the review, & yes, it was generally positive, but seemed to be one of those written to make sure it balanced out praise with criticism rather than being a glowing review. Though I agree, Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s so ā€˜chintzyā€™ about the Sportā€™s interior or whatā€™s so ā€˜malignedā€™ about Sync 3. Perhaps itā€™s no corsair in interior appointments, but like most Fords, the interior & infotainment options are a cut above what the competition offers at the price point. ZC nailed it on ā€˜well roundedā€™ as a phrase, it might also apply to the Escape. Iā€™m glad Ford put together the Sport as a compact SUV to be passionate about & truly enjoy.

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I test drove a RAV4 twice before I test drove a BB and an OB. I did not find the RAV4 to have a better interior. Like, not even remotely. As far as I'm concerned, most of the vehicles in this price class have pretty dang similar interior features and you really need to get above 50K before things start changing that much.

Motor Trend also absolutely shredded the RAV4 in the comparison of several smaller SUVs, both on-road and off-road. So I guess I don't get where the "more well rounded" part comes from.
Sponsored