Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport

ALgino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Posted this on Reddit, figured I'd post here as well and add some additional info

Hey all, so I bought the car last summer and don't even have 10k miles on it. Was running great until about 10 days ago.

I was doing highway speeds and all of the sudden the transmission slips and I'm in neutral just coasting while the car just revs. I coast off to the shoulder and can't get it back in drive, it just shows a SHIFT SYS FAULT service required message. I get a tow to the nearest dealership and they tell me a day later its just a software update and it's all good. This can be really dangerous so I'm skeptical, but they assure me it's all good. Now not even 100 miles later it happens AGAIN... on the highway in a much sketchier situation with barely any shoulder. Luckily this time it kicked back in drive after turning it off for a few minutes and I could drive home and the check engine light is on.

Had it towed to dealer today, but even if they tell me it's fixed I'm paranoid bc that's what they said the first time! This is a huge safety hazard as it can happen randomly at any time. Anybody else deal with an issue like this? I know Lemon law requires 3 services but does that still apply if it's a safety hazard like this? I honestly don't even want to drive it anymore..

Additionally. my friend owns a dealership in the area and knows guys at the Ford I bought it from. 53 other cars this month alone with the same transmission issue. I've attached the 3 Fordpass status alerts I received, that just disappeared for whatever reason.

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert1

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert2

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert3
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'd try disengaging and reengaging the park release. Maybe yours is somehow partially mechanically uncoupled. The procedure is detailed on page 167 of my book. But it sounds like it's going to be a bigger issue. The transmission is sealed, can't even check the fluid.

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
A sensor, a module, or a shift solenoid must be on the fitz. They need to do a better diagnostics check. Probably lazy. There is a tool that they can attach to the vehicle that will capture data, this may be the situation where they have to leave it on your Bronc, and have you drive around more until it happens one more time... I don't believe there was a software update for an issue like that. Otherwise it would have been discussed on the forum.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Posted this on Reddit, figured I'd post here as well and add some additional info

Hey all, so I bought the car last summer and don't even have 10k miles on it. Was running great until about 10 days ago.

I was doing highway speeds and all of the sudden the transmission slips and I'm in neutral just coasting while the car just revs. I coast off to the shoulder and can't get it back in drive, it just shows a SHIFT SYS FAULT service required message. I get a tow to the nearest dealership and they tell me a day later its just a software update and it's all good. This can be really dangerous so I'm skeptical, but they assure me it's all good. Now not even 100 miles later it happens AGAIN... on the highway in a much sketchier situation with barely any shoulder. Luckily this time it kicked back in drive after turning it off for a few minutes and I could drive home and the check engine light is on.

Had it towed to dealer today, but even if they tell me it's fixed I'm paranoid bc that's what they said the first time! This is a huge safety hazard as it can happen randomly at any time. Anybody else deal with an issue like this? I know Lemon law requires 3 services but does that still apply if it's a safety hazard like this? I honestly don't even want to drive it anymore..

Additionally. my friend owns a dealership in the area and knows guys at the Ford I bought it from. 53 other cars this month alone with the same transmission issue. I've attached the 3 Fordpass status alerts I received, that just disappeared for whatever reason.
Hi there. This transmission concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco Sport. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

hemyer

First Name
Hannah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert1

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert2

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission Slipping on 2021 Bronco Sport alert3
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I just had the same thing happen to me on my 2023 Badlands.

OP
OP

ALgino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I just had the same thing happen to me on my 2023 Badlands.
They had to replace the whole trans. Car was in the shop for 2 months. Its been good since but yea they couldn't ever fully figure it out.
Sponsored