Towing popup tent with Bronco Sport Big Bend?

norcalgma

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have a 2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend that came with towing package. I thought I could install my trailer brake controller that I took out of my old vehicle, but owner's manual says must be Ford product. I called two local dealers to see how much the brake controller would cost and both told me it is NOT compatible with the Big Bend. My popup tent trailer is 8' long and around 1800 pounds. Would I be safe to tow it without the brake controller? Can I have a brake controller installed that is not through Ford? Specifically bought this vehicle to pull the popup! Thanks! (I'm new to Forum, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong).
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
at 1800 lbs, i believe you are in your towing capacity. 2000 lbs i think, correct me if i'm wrong. as for the brake controller, i'm sure it can be done but me personally i wouldn't touch the wiring, that's just me.
and your first post was done perfect haha! welcome to the forum.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Unless youre gonna be in lots of big hills or mountains i wouldnt personally worry about it .. but you can always hook the trailer up, find a nice back road and see how it feels with hard braking etc - im pretty sure most states dont even require brakes until 3000lbs

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 OB+OB, 360+, Tow Pkg. (2021)
I have a 2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend that came with towing package. I thought I could install my trailer brake controller that I took out of my old vehicle, but owner's manual says must be Ford product. I called two local dealers to see how much the brake controller would cost and both told me it is NOT compatible with the Big Bend. My popup tent trailer is 8' long and around 1800 pounds. Would I be safe to tow it without the brake controller? Can I have a brake controller installed that is not through Ford? Specifically bought this vehicle to pull the popup! Thanks! (I'm new to Forum, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong).
If it is a factory class 2 tow package, it should have the trailer sway control module. Not sure if that is any piece of mind for you. And welcome!

OP
OP

norcalgma

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Unless youre gonna be in lots of big hills or mountains i wouldnt personally worry about it .. but you can always hook the trailer up, find a nice back road and see how it feels with hard braking etc - im pretty sure most states dont even require brakes until 3000lbs

OP
OP

norcalgma

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Campgrounds are a few hours away, but going from 1000' elevation to 6000'+ elevation. The part I'm worried about is coming back down. The main part of the ascent/descent is about a half hour drive. I've always used a trailer brake controller with other vehicles. Thanks for your reply.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Campgrounds are a few hours away, but going from 1000' elevation to 6000'+ elevation. The part I'm worried about is coming back down. The main part of the ascent/descent is about a half hour drive. I've always used a trailer brake controller with other vehicles. Thanks for your reply.
Thats a big hill hahhaa i would still be personally ok - but thats qn individuql thing .. just using proper braking technique... not sure if the bronco can go into a tow haul mode or manually downshift ... but the other side is ... i dont imagine a trailer brake controller is super hard to install... so if it is worth piece of mind im sure it would be nice to have.
Sponsored