Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello,

Just got my BS OB. I have no experience with ford sync but usually do well understanding new software. I do not have built in navigation but by googling it looks like you can run waze or maybe Google maps from you phone onto the screen. I have tried having both apps open on my android connected via Bluetooth and searched for apps on my phone using sync 3 and it says none found. Let me know if there is some step I am missing.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hello,

Just got my BS OB. I have no experience with ford sync but usually do well understanding new software. I do not have built in navigation but by googling it looks like you can run waze or maybe Google maps from you phone onto the screen. I have tried having both apps open on my android connected via Bluetooth and searched for apps on my phone using sync 3 and it says none found. Let me know if there is some step I am missing.

Thanks.
Congrats!
AndroidAuto needs to be connected via wire or wireless adapter. Ports are under in the bin.

Michigunman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello,

Thanks.
You need to connect via USB cable in the dash then use Android Auto. Then you can use Google Maps and Waze as well as other Apps on your phone.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
Hello,

Thanks.
For what it's worth try connecting your phone via USB cable. After sync recognizes phone see if Waze comes up. I have BS BL without nav and iphone. As I recall the phone has to be connected by USB, not blue tooth for waze - you can try search forum too see if I am remembering this correctly.

OP
OP

CKGILLEY6

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You need to connect via USB cable in the dash then use Android Auto. Then you can use Google Maps and Waze as well as other Apps on your phone.
After I connect it via the cable, will I be able to use it via Bluetooth later or do I always need to use the cable to use the phone apps?

Justin

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend + BB
After I connect it via the cable, will I be able to use it via Bluetooth later or do I always need to use the cable to use the phone apps?
Unfortunately, you need to plug it in every time. Sync 4 offers wireless Android Auto, but the Bronco Sport only has Sync 3.

It aggravates me a little, but only because my phone is too large in a case to sit well in storage while plugged in, and it kind of defeats the purpose of the wireless charger when you think about it.

I sometimes choose to use bluetooth and wirelessly charge just to justify why I got the damn option.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If you want to use Android Auto you will have to plug the phone into the USB port. Android Auto will completely change the user interface; the software runs on your phone and displays on the screen in your car.

If you don't want to run Android Auto you can still connect your phone via Bluetooth, but you won't have access to Google maps, or any other apps that run on your phone.

A few vendors sell adapters you can plug into the USB port in your car to allow wireless use of Android Auto, but from what I've read most experience a lot of bugs. Even cars that are supposed to support wireless Android Auto have a lot of problems--especially following software updates.

My wife and I have been using Android Auto on Sync3 for several years now. It's had its share of issues over the years, but the wired interface is fairly mature now and works almost flawlessly. I thought having the phone connected to a cable would bother me, but the interface is good enough that you never need to touch your phone, which is of course, the entire point--you shouldn't be looking at your phone when you're driving.

The bonus is when you get out of your car your phone is charged.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
This is probably obvious, but just to be safe, you have to download the android auto app onto your phone for all of this to work too.

Justin

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend + BB
This is probably obvious, but just to be safe, you have to download the android auto app onto your phone for all of this to work too.
As of Android 10, Android Auto is packaged with the OS, so there's no need to download it anymore. Just as an FYI!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You don't have to download Android Auto with Android 10 or later, but you may have to enable it. If you can't find Android Auto in your apps open Google Play and search for it. Google Play will offer to enable Android Auto if it's disabled.

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Cable works well and Waze is great, but when used, it changes the interface to Android Auto.
This affects the voice commands/source, e.g., when I said "Call John xyz" it searched Google and called a law firm in Texas.
Same for music, instead of searching my USB thumb drive or phone storage, it goes to Google.
You can manually choose music sources, but not safely when driving.
Solution: use the cable when you need Waze. B/T is my default.
Sponsored