Lalo135

Badlands
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have been driving my BS badlands for about three weeks. First time I’ve owned a vehicle like this. Is the suspension suppose to feel this sensitive. While driving I can feel a lot of the subtle irregularities from the streets. Is this a common thing in off road vehicles?
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Tires and wheels are a major factor.
Heavier rolling mass makes the suspension work harder.
Larger tires weigh more.
In the world of racing It's widely known that for every pound of rolling mass and/or Un-sprung mass you remove you will have the same handling/acceleration and suspension benefit as removing TWO pounds of static/sprung weight.
This has little effect when off road at lower speeds.

Tire pressure makes a big difference in my Base model with my 17" Continentals.
My Tires are 'All Season's' with low unbroken treads of only 10/32" tread depth and that makes for a more rigid tire tread that transmits more road Imperfections into the suspension.
On my 2004 Escape My Yokohama's have deep blocky treads, 13 or 14/32" and I feel almost no road surface Imperfections.
Tread Blocks can move in any direction If only a little while the solid ring of treads found on most all seasons are very stable allowing for minimal lateral movement only. Makes for better mpg's and high speed tracking.

I also believe my suspension became a little more supple as I got to 1,000 miles, I feel less of what you speak of as the miles add up.
Or I am just getting used to It and noticing it less, not sure.

Check tire pressure with a good digital gage, no direct sunlight on any given tire when cold.
per the manual.
A ten degree variation in Temp will mean a full pound difference in tire pressure.
My tires need 33 psi just like what It says on the door and feel wrong with 2 less or 2psi more.
When cold and set to 33, I get 36 psi If checked after driving on a 50 degree day.

OP, U said, "While driving I can feel a lot of the subtle irregularities from the streets. Is this a common thing in off road vehicles? "

Your driving what I like to call (Incorrectly) a 'Truggy'
It is not a car, It has more ground clearance, more suspension travel, more tire and a higher center of gravity. It Is closer to a short wheel base Pick up truck in handling feel.
The suspension has softer springs and stiffer damping to allow you to use more of the extra travel to be better off road.
This would be the 'buggy part of Truggy right !
It Is a compromise, I think you will get used to it. It's the way It should be !

I don't compare my Baby Bronc to a car or an Urban SUV like the Escape Nor the Current Off Road champion like the Jeep or any of the Oriental vehicles.
I compare mine to the Land Rover Defender that comes in at $46,100 for the base model to the 90 at $83,000, that gets 18 city and 21 hwy mpg's.
In your Face Land Rover :p

Ford Bronco Sport Suspension sensitivity - feeling subtle irregularities from the street 2021-land-rover-defender-mmp-1-1600880107

Ford Bronco Sport Suspension sensitivity - feeling subtle irregularities from the street Bronco Sprt

Last edited:
OP
OP

Lalo135

Badlands
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi Osco I appreciate your thorough response. You really made it all connect better for me now. It will definitely take some getting used to but it is good to know that that is how it is suppose to feel and work and that it all has a purpose. Good to know also what things like tire pressure or tire type can change that too.
Sponsored