jakeguitar01

Big Bend
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hi guys, I am almost about to purchase a Bronco Sport Big Bend in Area 51 from the dealer, and I would like to know if I should pull the trigger in the purchase. I am currently driving a 2013 Escape with some bad CV axles/ball joints and I know it's going to be at least a $1000 repair from a reputable shop. I am planning on trading the car in and getting rid of my problem on an old car and jumping into something new. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi guys, I am almost about to purchase a Bronco Sport Big Bend in Area 51 from the dealer, and I would like to know if I should pull the trigger in the purchase. I am currently driving a 2013 Escape with some bad CV axles/ball joints and I know it's going to be at least a $1000 repair from a reputable shop. I am planning on trading the car in and getting rid of my problem on an old car and jumping into something new. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
if you can afford the jump, jump. It's not an escape. Big Bend is more than capable. The Area 51 is a nice color, and at this point, it's possible you may not have many re-do's any time soon, as sports are being pushed into October. Worst case, you have a new Ford under warranty, and trade values have never been higher. It might be worth selling on your own to a different dealer, or seeing what the advantage of trade ins would be etc...I am biased, pull the trigger. One month and 2K miles it's been a blast.

OP
OP
jakeguitar01

jakeguitar01

Big Bend
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
if you can afford the jump, jump. It's not an escape. Big Bend is more than capable. The Area 51 is a nice color, and at this point, it's possible you may not have many re-do's any time soon, as sports are being pushed into October. Worst case, you have a new Ford under warranty, and trade values have never been higher. It might be worth selling on your own to a different dealer, or seeing what the advantage of trade ins would be etc...I am biased, pull the trigger. One month and 2K miles it's been a blast.
Thanks for the quick reply! It seems like a really nice, fun car to drive. It's the first small SUV that's really caught my attention as fun and different.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for the quick reply! It seems like a really nice, fun car to drive. It's the first small SUV that's really caught my attention as fun and different.
I was in a similar situation back in March, but my car was even older (2004). So far so good with the Big Bend, other than a noise that might be transmission-related (see the 'Is this noise normal?' thread).

The Sport is fun to drive, looks cool, and my MPG is 29.5 combined after 3k miles. The 1.5L engine is sufficient for my needs -- that was my biggest concern going into the deal and now I only 'notice' it when going uphill because you have to manage the throttle a bit more compared to beefier engines.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If your Escape is in good shape other than the CV axles and ball joints?, $1000 dollars now is obviously much less costly than a new car. Any idea what the dealer will give you for the Escape or do you just want out and it doesn't really matter? While the Bronco Sport is nice, only you can answer if you're ready for something new. Depending on where you live,, other than the current trade in assist incentive, the factory deals for the Bronco Sport are currently not that good last time I checked.

Last edited:

OP
OP
jakeguitar01

jakeguitar01

Big Bend
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
If your Escape is in good shape other than the CV axles and ball joints?, $1000 dollars now is obviously much less costly than a new car. Any idea what the dealer will give you for the Escape or do you just want out and it doesn't really matter? While the Bronco Sport is nice, only you can answer if you're ready for something new. Depending on where you live,, other than the current trade in assist incentive, the factory deals for the Bronco Sport are currently not that good last time I checked.
I'm getting 6500 for the escape plus 500 trade in assist. I feel that 7k for a 8 year old Ford with 100k miles ain't too bad. I don't know anything else that is wrong with the car.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
. So far so good with the Big Bend, other than a noise that might be transmission-related (see the 'Is this noise normal?') thread
That's the one and only issue we had with ours. There seems to be a low speed noise around 10mph/1500 rpm affecting some owners. For us it was transmission related and ended up with a new transmission. For some it was related to vibration in the park release cable. It seems many have build dates around mid March to early April with this issue. Look at the date on the bottom of the window sticker as that approximates the date it was built. Maybe something to consider. Don't want to make you paranoid. These things can happen with any make or model. As the saying goes "that's why you have warranty with a new vehicle" There's 1000s of BS owners who are not having any issues at all.

Beyond that it's a solid vehicle. Getting great gas mileage with the 1.5. 28.8 mpg. It doesn't have the get up and go compared the 2.0EB in our 2013 Escape (which we still have @ 190K and still going strong). The 1.5 is plenty powerful. Sport mode wakes it up a bit if you feel the need.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sounds like a decent deal, hope the dealer doesn't add on any surprises.

OP
OP
jakeguitar01

jakeguitar01

Big Bend
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Sounds like a decent deal, hope the dealer doesn't add on any surprises.
No dealer fees or price hikes on the new car at my dealer. They don't seem to want to budge from the MSRP, which I expected during the chip shortage. Apparently, their invoice price for the car is only $700 less than the MSRP. Not sure if that sounds correct.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No dealer fees or price hikes on the new car at my dealer. They don't seem to want to budge from the MSRP, which I expected during the chip shortage. Apparently, their invoice price for the car is only $700 less than the MSRP. Not sure if that sounds correct.
Take it for a drive. It. Will sell itself or you'll realize it's not all that...either way the truth is there.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
You have virtually the identical situation I had in April. I traded a 2013 C-max (a hybrid Escape variant) with 90,000 miles for a little over $6,500 and got a BB the morning it rolled off the truck. Coincidentally that was April 30, the day they first announced a shut-down due to the chip shortage. Observing the waiting grief people have had on this board, I would say that a Big Bend in hand is worth two on the order books.