First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonpetri.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a ‘21 First Edition. A couple weeks ago it was really cold and it wouldn’t start. Wouldn’t jump. Replaced the battery (what a pain). Afterwords 45(!) alerts about various systems being uncommunicative. Door locks, entertainment, anti-lock breaks, 4 WD, climate, etc., etc. Everything seemed to work but the service warnings were persistent and had to be dismissed one by one after every start and the wrench indicator is illuminated. I saw somewhere that this happens if the battery is dead or removed and the warnings need to be cleared. Took it in for service (while under warranty <36k) and had the appointment scheduled for a week later which was then rescheduled for yesterday. They had it all day and when I went to get it they said they needed to keep it overnight (got a transit van loaner). First thing this morning they called and said the shift module needed replaced. I skeptically asked if it didn’t seem coincidental that the warnings started after the battery change and all were false alarms except the one for the shift module. They didn’t really have a good answer. They want $500 (maybe $1,000, I don’t remember and have to order parts from Memphis, etc.). It’s not a warranty repair anymore because I’m at 36,000+ now. I declined the repair work for now. What do you folks think?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I think you're not the first owner to report an issue with the shift module. Others have reported similar symptoms, with warning lights from seemingly unrelated systems. The shift knob is one of those components that's tightly integrated with a lot of other systems, so I can see how it might generate a lot of warnings if it fails.

OP
OP
Jason Petri

Jason Petri

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonpetri.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I think you're not the first owner to report an issue with the shift module. Others have reported similar symptoms, with warning lights from seemingly unrelated systems. The shift knob is one of those components that's tightly integrated with a lot of other systems, so I can see how it might generate a lot of warnings if it fails.
Thanks. I posted before I looked through all the forums. I see what you’re saying. Thanks!

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a ‘21 First Edition. A couple weeks ago it was really cold and it wouldn’t start. Wouldn’t jump. Replaced the battery (what a pain). Afterwords 45(!) alerts about various systems being uncommunicative. Door locks, entertainment, anti-lock breaks, 4 WD, climate, etc., etc. Everything seemed to work but the service warnings were persistent and had to be dismissed one by one after every start and the wrench indicator is illuminated. I saw somewhere that this happens if the battery is dead or removed and the warnings need to be cleared. Took it in for service (while under warranty <36k) and had the appointment scheduled for a week later which was then rescheduled for yesterday. They had it all day and when I went to get it they said they needed to keep it overnight (got a transit van loaner). First thing this morning they called and said the shift module needed replaced. I skeptically asked if it didn’t seem coincidental that the warnings started after the battery change and all were false alarms except the one for the shift module. They didn’t really have a good answer. They want $500 (maybe $1,000, I don’t remember and have to order parts from Memphis, etc.). It’s not a warranty repair anymore because I’m at 36,000+ now. I declined the repair work for now. What do you folks think?
you have to tell the battery management system that you replaced the battery. Its not like older vehicles that you can just replace it. Dont replace the gear shift module just use forscan to clear all codes. its a 20.00 dongle and software is free

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored