Rented A GMC Terrain For Two Weeks...POS

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Went to Kona Hawaii for 2 weeks and rented a SUV from Budget. You get what they gave you, and they gave me a GMC Terrain.

It's allegedly a turbo, but severely lacks power compared to my Bronco. It did, however, get good gas mileage.

The trim inside looked and felt tacky and something that drove Mrs. Flash nuts was having to pull the door knob twice to open the door after we stopped and shut the car off. Either that, or press the unlock button, take your choice. It might be fixable from the setup screen, but I didn't play with it.

The backup camera was good, but no beeping when you were getting close to someone/something. You had to rely strictly on a visual.

The brakes were extremely touchy, just the slightest touch would almost lock up all 4 wheels.

No spare tire, but perhaps Budget took it out...who knows. That did, however, leave a nice hidden storage spot for things we didn't want stolen while we were out of the car. That can be problematic in parts of Hawaii.

The gear shift was buttons that looked almost exactly like my Bronco's window up/down buttons. Had one for reverse, neutral and drive. Separate button (flat) for park and no parking brake controls. I guess it put on the parking brake by itself when you went into park, but I noticed that when I did that, it would roll an inch or two and then stop, kind of like when there's no parking brake.

Basically, it made me really appreciate the Bronco Sport and glad to get home and drive it again.
Sponsored

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Went to Kona Hawaii for 2 weeks and rented a SUV from Budget. You get what they gave you, and they gave me a GMC Terrain.

<snip>

The gear shift was buttons that looked almost exactly like my Bronco's window up/down buttons. Had one for reverse, neutral and drive. Separate button (flat) for park and no parking brake controls. I guess it put on the parking brake by itself when you went into park, but I noticed that when I did that, it would roll an inch or two and then stop, kind of like when there's no parking brake.

Basically, it made me really appreciate the Bronco Sport and glad to get home and drive it again.
I was considering the Terrain when shopping and that gear shift setup really put me off. I much prefer the knob in the BS now that I am used to it. I quite like the exterior of the Terrain but also found the interior disappointing - especially at the GMC price point. I'm very glad I took a chance on finding a Bronco Sport!

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The trim inside looked and felt tacky and something that drove Mrs. Flash nuts was having to pull the door knob twice to open the door after we stopped and shut the car off. Either that, or press the unlock button, take your choice. It might be fixable from the setup screen, but I didn't play with it.
Is this different from the Bronco Sport? I can open the driver door and get out, but if I drop off a passenger and the vehicle is running, they have to pull twice to open the door. 1st pull unlocks, second unlatches.

OP
OP
Flash

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is this different from the Bronco Sport? I can open the driver door and get out, but if I drop off a passenger and the vehicle is running, they have to pull twice to open the door. 1st pull unlocks, second unlatches.
Don't have to pull the door twice on my Bronco to open it even when it's running. I do this at least once a week when picking up my mail.

And I didn't have the engine running on the GMC when you had to pull twice.

That's how it's different.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dmtndan Off-Topic Board 8