jackiegFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I just bought the first Ford that I've had in 21 years, a 2022 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks. I love the way it looks. I love the comfort of the seats, how warm the heated seats get, that they come on with the remote start if left on when you leave the vehicle. Love that it is averaging 30 mpg. There are many things I love about it, but 3 weeks after purchasing, the dreaded wrench lit up and when checking the Ford Pass app I found it was a "powertrain malfunction". At this point, I'm wondering, is it ok to drive, do I need to park it? I text the dealer that I just bought it from (3 hours away- it was the closest dealer that had one for sale) and she said it should be ok to drive home. I call the Ford dealership in Onalaska, WI who is near me and the service man there says, no I cannot look up by the vin number to see if it is serious and we can't get you in for an appointment for at least 45 days. Luckily the Ford dealer in Richland Center, WI was kind enough to look up the vin on the computer and informed me it has to do with the gear shifter and I have an appointment there today to have it looked at. After reading so many others with issues like this on their vehicles on Facebook Bronco Sport groups, and a wide variety of problems, I am worried. Help me out Bronco Sport owners- if you have had a good experience I'd love to hear about it as it is scary to think I just purchased an unreliable vehicle.
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'd really love to tell you that I know for sure this is a reliable vehicle that will last us forever. But the reality of the situation is, most of us have only had our Sports for a year or less. To boot, we bought a new model, meaning we are the "beta testers" that will find many of these issues for the first time. Yes, it's built on the Escape platform, but cars are fickle things and even using a tried and true platform doesn't mean we won't experience some glitches along the way.
I bought mine because I do have faith it will last and more importantly, I have faith Ford will make right any problems that arise. My experiences with my dealership service department have been nothing but positive. They've addressed my one check engine light, which turned out to be a result of the fuel module recall, and they've addressed every recall since then. You have a warranty and all should be well, even if you do experience an issue or two. It's a new vehicle - Enjoy the experience!

OP
OP

jackiegFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'd really love to tell you that I know for sure this is a reliable vehicle that will last us forever. But the reality of the situation is, most of us have only had our Sports for a year or less. To boot, we bought a new model, meaning we are the "beta testers" that will find many of these issues for the first time. Yes, it's built on the Escape platform, but cars are fickle things and even using a tried and true platform doesn't mean we won't experience some glitches along the way.
I bought mine because I do have faith it will last and more importantly, I have faith Ford will make right any problems that arise. My experiences with my dealership service department have been nothing but positive. They've addressed my one check engine light, which turned out to be a result of the fuel module recall, and they've addressed every recall since then. You have a warranty and all should be well, even if you do experience an issue or two. It's a new vehicle - Enjoy the experience!
Thank you!

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Remember also, people almost never post how problem free their vehicle has been. We tend to post problems. My 2021 OB only has that intermittent brake squeal. She has otherwise been problem free and has done everything asked of her. I'm looking forward to towing our camper this summer.

OP
OP

jackiegFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Remember also, people almost never post how problem free their vehicle has been. We tend to post problems. My 2021 OB only has that intermittent brake squeal. She has otherwise been problem free and has done everything asked of her. I'm looking forward to towing our camper this summer.
Super! Thank you!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Honestly I think the wrench icon is the 2nd coming of the check engine light. I’ve had it happen twice on the Explorer now, both times far from home, but thankfully not far from civilization. Of course the first time I pulled over at the first off ramp, parked, & broke out the owners manual, which was less than helpful. But both times it happened, after shutting the car off, the wrench light went out & didn’t come back on.

The first time it happened I had it right over to my dealer who found it was some code for a sensor so they cleaned & redid the connection. The second time she told me not even to bother leaving the car if the light didn’t stay on as it may not have even stored a code.

So I opt to use & enjoy, I don’t expect a major failure, but I do have service visits now documented should something really break down on it. I can’t say I didn’t ignore the sign. So by all means go get it checked out, & any fixes made as needed. That’s what the warranty is for. Then go enjoy driving!
Ford Bronco Sport Reliability?  Worried :( 1649781598020

jake4042

Big Bend
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This is the second post where the poster has stated that their dealer can't take a look at the vehicle for a month or more. THAT worries me.
Yep. No loaners. No rental coverage. My appointment at the 2nd dealership is 14 days after it broke. So if they look at it on the 22nd of April (this is just diagnosis), they have 16 more days until they hit Lemon Law in Washington State.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Ford has built well over 100,000 Bronco Sports. And while you will see lots of posting on issues the number of issues posted versus number of units sold is is low. There are large numbers of Bronco Sports out there quietly living a problem free life. How reliable will Bronco Sports be long term no one knows. And yes there are lemons out there too.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I just bought the first Ford that I've had in 21 years, a 2022 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks. I love the way it looks. I love the comfort of the seats, how warm the heated seats get, that they come on with the remote start if left on when you leave the vehicle. Love that it is averaging 30 mpg. There are many things I love about it, but 3 weeks after purchasing, the dreaded wrench lit up and when checking the Ford Pass app I found it was a "powertrain malfunction". At this point, I'm wondering, is it ok to drive, do I need to park it? I text the dealer that I just bought it from (3 hours away- it was the closest dealer that had one for sale) and she said it should be ok to drive home. I call the Ford dealership in Onalaska, WI who is near me and the service man there says, no I cannot look up by the vin number to see if it is serious and we can't get you in for an appointment for at least 45 days. Luckily the Ford dealer in Richland Center, WI was kind enough to look up the vin on the computer and informed me it has to do with the gear shifter and I have an appointment there today to have it looked at. After reading so many others with issues like this on their vehicles on Facebook Bronco Sport groups, and a wide variety of problems, I am worried. Help me out Bronco Sport owners- if you have had a good experience I'd love to hear about it as it is scary to think I just purchased an unreliable vehicle.
Any vehicle can have that type of issue. As a new model it may be more prone than others...good luck finding something specifically more reliable. I am sure there are...and maybe you got a lemon...or maybe just one faulty part. I had a challenger with a bad alternator. Dodge knew it, couldn't replace them fast enough. Car died on me and it was towed in for repairs. Alternator was replaced and never had another issue. That was the second year they were produced so similar growing pains. Turned out to be a great car. Well until they released the GT with all-wheel drive options for Michigan winters

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ford has built well over 100,000 Bronco Sports. And while you will see lots of posting on issues the number of issues posted versus number of units sold is is low. There are large numbers of Bronco Sports out there quietly living a problem free life. How reliable will Bronco Sports be long term no one knows. And yes there are lemons out there too.
Excellent point. Seeing ten people with a problem seems like oh no...but that's a microcosm of the total built and driven with no issues...social media is incredibly misleading and myopic.

OP
OP

jackiegFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I have found a few Ford friends have said if you're having a problem getting a Ford appointment, take it to a Lincoln dealer they may even give you a really nice loaner on top.
Thank you for the advice!
Excellent point. Seeing ten people with a problem seems like oh no...but that's a microcosm of the total built and driven with no issues...social media is incredibly misleading and myopic.
Thank you- I'm hoping it is something simple and it will be a good vehicle for many years to come.

Grift3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I am one of the unlucky people. 2 manufacture defects (windshield and powertrain fail) under 800 miles. Its been in the shop for longer than I have gotten to drive it. Does this mean the BS is a bad car? Not at all. Lots of them on the road, and even if you see a lot of people complain on here, its still a small number overall. People with issues always squawk loudest *raises own hand*, so don't take it too much to heart. If you have issues, like other people said, we are the beta testers. The frustrations come from the availability of parts and such. Hopefully you wont have any issues, and if you do, just get them dealt with. At the end of the day, I have looked over the other SUV options, and honestly there isn't a single other one I want, despite the issues mine has.
TL:DR: Happy people out driving their Broncos. Mad people on here posting issues cause theirs broke. Dont worry too much about it.

OP
OP

jackiegFord

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I am one of the unlucky people. 2 manufacture defects (windshield and powertrain fail) under 800 miles. Its been in the shop for longer than I have gotten to drive it. Does this mean the BS is a bad car? Not at all. Lots of them on the road, and even if you see a lot of people complain on here, its still a small number overall. People with issues always squawk loudest *raises own hand*, so don't take it too much to heart. If you have issues, like other people said, we are the beta testers. The frustrations come from the availability of parts and such. Hopefully you wont have any issues, and if you do, just get them dealt with. At the end of the day, I have looked over the other SUV options, and honestly there isn't a single other one I want, despite the issues mine has.
TL:DR: Happy people out driving their Broncos. Mad people on here posting issues cause theirs broke. Dont worry too much about it.
Thanks for the post- I love it so much that I hope that any little bugs can be worked out and it will in the long term be reliable. When you are a woman driving alone a lot, you want to feel like your vehicle will get you there and not breakdown.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The reason people hear about so many having problems is that people come to boards like this to complain about problems, both real and perceived and don't come here to tell about how they have no problems whatsoever.

Which is where I'm at. 13 months trouble free and I'm happy.
Sponsored