Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi, I had an issue with my rear wiper not returning to the “park” position. The dealer “fixed” it but now it only clears about 2/3 of the rear window. I’ve owned several Explorers and Escapes and know that the wiper should clear a half-circle on the back window. Dealer says there isn’t an adjustment to fix it. Does anyone else have a rear wiper that’s stopping short?
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here is my friend’s Big Bend.

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here is my friend’s Big Bend.

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a couple of pics from another group.

Ford Bronco Sport Rear Wiper not clearing full back window EC94947B-DA5B-4506-8A2C-993D4CA182A9

Ford Bronco Sport Rear Wiper not clearing full back window 81B26B3A-0864-46FC-A245-94F92EAE2F1E

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting.
I
Very interesting.
I think Ford has an issue with these wiper motors. There are varying degrees of travel and the wiper should clear a complete semi-circle on the back window. I’ve had several Explorers and Escapes and can see that many of the Bronco Sport wipers are stopping short of clearing the back window as they should.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Here is a couple of pics from another group.
Ford Bronco Sport Rear Wiper not clearing full back window 81B26B3A-0864-46FC-A245-94F92EAE2F1E
While there may be issues with some Sports not attaining a 180 degree arc, another issue looks to be the aspect ratio of the glass itself. By that I mean that the width vs. height will always be problematic with a single centrally-pivoting wiper in the back. To get good wiper coverage, a dual wiper system or an articulating single wiper that provides greater horizontal coverage is needed. Neither of which will likely happen at at this price point.

Having been a long-term 1st-gen Escape owner and a big fan of the lift glass, the first thing I noticed on the Sport was the vertical dimension of the glass is much less than on the Escape, and the resultant wiper coverage suffers.

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
De
While there may be issues with some Sports not attaining a 180 degree arc, another issue looks to be the aspect ratio of the glass itself. By that I mean that the width vs. height will always be problematic with a single centrally-pivoting wiper in the back. To get good wiper coverage, a dual wiper system or an articulating single wiper that provides greater horizontal coverage is needed. Neither of which will likely happen at at this price point.

Having been a long-term 1st-gen Escape owner and a big fan of the lift glass, the first thing I noticed on the Sport was the vertical dimension of the glass is much less than on the Escape, and the resultant wiper coverage suffers.
sl had ordered complete rear wiper motor assembly

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer has ordered complete rear wiper motor assembly. I hope it solves the issue.
Apr23: New wiper motor was slightly better but still only cleared 2/3 of the back window. Dealer will alert Ford Service Engineering as some are working as they should and others aren’t.

OP
OP
Jill

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the aspect ratio is an issue. They need 2 wipers on this thing.
Agree but the one we have should be doing it’s job and clearing 180 degrees like every other Ford SUV I’ve owned. Very frustrating.

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
Haven’t tested ours since the blade came bent from the dealer and needs to be replaced. That said applying rainx (or pick your other brand equivalent) to the rear window helps a ton with keeping the rear window clear and reducing the need to use the wiper.
Sponsored