Rear drive unit lemon

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
So when this first popped up I just accepted it as growing pains, but now it’s back and I’m almost ready to make Ford buy it back. It started out with a couple warning messages about a powertrain malfunction a few months ago. I brought it into the shop, got a loaner and two weeks later they gave it back and said they replaced the rear drive unit.

A couple weeks ago all the same warnings popped up again (powertrain malfunction, 4WD fault, 4WD disabled) and the goat modes were all disabled. I brought it into the shop again. It’s been another two weeks and they are still waiting on information from the Ford engineers.

Has anyone else had issues with the 4WD not working? I’ve only had the car for just over 4 months and It has spent nearly a full month in the shop total.

I’m also not happy that the dealer is no longer providing loaners, so I’ve been without a car for 2 weeks, but that’s another topic.
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Sounds like they replaced the wrong part. If it were me - note that I write software and I'm not a mechanical engineer - I'd be looking at something like the connectors in a bundle of cables that connect to the rear drive unit rather than the unit itself.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I’m also not happy that the dealer is no longer providing loaners, so I’ve been without a car for 2 weeks, but that’s another topic.
Totally unacceptable that you get a defective vehicle and no loaner while they try a second time to fix it. Completely piss poor customer service.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
So when this first popped up I just accepted it as growing pains, but now it’s back and I’m almost ready to make Ford buy it back.
That might get the dealer's attention, especially since they don't provide loaner vehicles which itself is ridiculous. Might be worth getting up to speed on your state's lemon laws if you haven't already.

OP
OP
McBrideless

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
That might get the dealer's attention, especially since they don't provide loaner vehicles which itself is ridiculous. Might be worth getting up to speed on your state's lemon laws if you haven't already.
I’ve definitely been researching Lemon laws. They are almost at the “30 days out of service” requirement. If it’s not back with a good explanation within a week, I think I’m gonna have to go that route. I love the car, but being in the shop for 25% or the time of ownership for a brand new car and having only my motorcycle for an alternative is unacceptable.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
This might sound harsh, but get it running then dump it. You may be able to get what you paid for it. I was in a similar spot years ago. Even after several fixes, I never trusted the vehicle again. Swore I would never deal with a lemon again, even if it turns out to be my beloved Sport.
We checked with a lawyer. At the time, in Virginia, he said pursuing a lemon law claim meant fighting the car manufacturer's engineers. Not likely I would win.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So when this first popped up I just accepted it as growing pains, but now it’s back and I’m almost ready to make Ford buy it back. It started out with a couple warning messages about a powertrain malfunction a few months ago. I brought it into the shop, got a loaner and two weeks later they gave it back and said they replaced the rear drive unit.

A couple weeks ago all the same warnings popped up again (powertrain malfunction, 4WD fault, 4WD disabled) and the goat modes were all disabled. I brought it into the shop again. It’s been another two weeks and they are still waiting on information from the Ford engineers.

Has anyone else had issues with the 4WD not working? I’ve only had the car for just over 4 months and It has spent nearly a full month in the shop total.

Tell them you’ll accept a rebate on a big bronco!

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I considered that, but I’m not eager to get another Ford at the moment.
Lightning won’t strike the same place twice. But hey always your choice. I’d be bummed out myself man. Doesn’t sound like it’s over yet though. They could still do right by you.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Tell them you’ll accept a rebate on a big bronco!
Big Bronco a year or more wait and anything on the lot is massive mark up. Not to mention large numbers of big Bronco's built in June are sitting in storage lots being held while Ford builds/ships complete units in July. Sounds familiar? So very few will be getting big Bronco for a decent price any time soon. So if you need a vehicle now scratch big Bronco that off the list.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Big Bronco a year or more wait and anything on the lot is massive mark up. Not to mention large numbers of big Bronco's built in June are sitting in storage lots being held while Ford builds/ships complete units in July. Sounds familiar? So very few will be getting big Bronco for a decent price any time soon. So if you need a vehicle now scratch big Bronco that off the list.
Look at negative Nancy!

OP
OP
McBrideless

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Lightning won’t strike the same place twice. But hey always your choice. I’d be bummed out myself man. Doesn’t sound like it’s over yet though. They could still do right by you.
It’s more the customer service that is frustrating. They should be providing me a vehicle to use right now. Seeing the auto withdrawal for this months car payment for a car I don’t have was a pretty sour pill to swallow.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Look at negative Nancy!
More like reality Nancy. Spend some time reading up over on bronco6g.com to see the shit show rollout threads over there.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
More like reality Nancy. Spend some time reading up over on bronco6g.com to see the shit show rollout threads over there.
I’ll have to do that. I have been seeing them hit lots so I assumed all was good.
And you know i was joking bud :)
It really is a shame. So was the BSport rollout better?

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
haven't had any drivetrain issues here. hope this gets resolved quick and easy for you. good luck.
Sponsored