Production Delays Seem Endless

Vin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I test drove a BB the other day and now would like to see the OB. But not one dealer in my area has even one on the lot and they are pretty vague about when they will get additional shipments. How long are these delays taking?
Sponsored

bk1287

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jetta
I test drove a BB the other day and now would like to see the OB. But not one dealer in my area has even one on the lot and they are pretty vague about when they will get additional shipments. How long are these delays taking?
A lot of that is contributed to lack of dealer stock to begin with. I test drove an OB. I called the dealer and they told me that if I wanted to test drive it, I had to hope the person who was test driving at the moment didn't buy it. They didn't so I ran over and test drove it. Drove past the lot the next day and it was gone.

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I doubt this is going to change much in the foreseeable future especially for more in-demand vehicles like OB and BL. The world is changing.

Ford Moving toward Build-to-Order, Away from Packed Dealer Lots

I was only able to see a base model and a few weeks later my Ford guy tracked down a BB at another dealer that I was able to go see quick before it sold. But I was never able to see an OB or BL in person. I guess I never really had much of an expectation that I would ever be able to see the exact vehicle I wanted in person. So I got my general impressions of the vehicle from the trim levels I saw and then ordered what I actually wanted (BL).

You may get lucky and find an OB at a dealership if you are diligently checking, but you will have to jump on it as bk1287 did, as these things aren't gonna sit on the lot for more than a day or two. If you are wondering when we will see abundant supply of all the models sitting on dealer lots for people to inspect and test, my guess is sometime right around never.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My guess is a while. They are prioritizing customer orders over dealer stock which means most coming in already have an owner so you cant get in those. Then most dealer stock have waiting lists of people, so they buy the dealer stock before it arrives at the lot. We almost did that at first when we were thinking of an OB and there was one on the way to the dealer, but it did not have a tow. We saw an OB leaving the lot when we arrived and it was a dealer stock that arrived on the truck that morning.

Until people are not eating up the supply through customer orders (which is what FOrd long goal is to move to customer orders) and dealer stock is not grabbed before it arrives, you may only get to see one where it arrives as a customer order and they decide they dont want it. Good luck.

Bak in 2021 they had mannequins, but dont anymore.

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
We started looking back in March and found a scarcity back then. Drove 100 miles north to test drive a BL, fell in love with it, but saw that it was damaged in transit. The dealer had no idea how long it would take to fix it, so we asked them to call us when it was repaired and we would come back to buy it. A couple days later they said someone bought it as-is.

Then found one on order at a dealer 100 miles south, they called the day before it arrived, they agreed to hold it for us, we got there at opening the day it arrived, and bought it. Two couples arrived to look at it while we were doing the paperwork. They’ve been scarce for a while, so if you find one that is anything close to what you want, buy it.

BenOutside85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Subaru Outback
I was lucky enough to be able to test drive a BB and a BL, (separate occasions) here in the Seattle area. But yeah, pretty sure both were gone rather quickly after. I was told with the BL especially, it’s very rare to find a dealer with one that stays long enough to test drive.