schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I get a warning that Pre-Collision assist won't work because the Radar Sensor is obstructed on frosty mornings.

I'm not clear on where the sensor is. The owners manual shows a camera in the windshield and an OPTIONAL radar sensor in the front end. Being that my car is a base I was presuming to not have such an option...

Has anyone else had this happen yet? How does one go about resolving the issue? Wipe off the front grille and windshield before I roll out for the morning?

I've also seen on other forums where cruise control may not work with the sensor obstructed. I'm not going to be using cruise in the rain or the snow, and thankfully my commute doesn't involve highway driving, but some of my planned mountainous excursions might be affected by such a stupid constraint...
Sponsored

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I'm sorry if my point was unclear;

I wish the car didn't HAVE pre-collision assist. I bought a Base model to avoid as much 'tech' as possible. I've disabled lane-keeping and diligently turn off Auto Start Stop, but I'm stuck with this, at least at the lowest sensitivity.

When I said I didn't want my access to cruise control hampered the point I was trying to make was that if I wake up in the cold and l need to hit the highway I don't particularly like the idea of not having access to cruise control until the error clears itself out.

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Also, I noticed the entry in the manual, and I referenced it in the OP... my question should've been 'does the base model have the radar sensor?'

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Also, I noticed the entry in the manual, and I referenced it in the OP... my question should've been 'does the base model have the radar sensor?'
Standard on base:
FORD CO-PILOT360TM TECHNOLOGY
● Ford Co-Pilot360TM includes:
— Auto High Beam Headlamps
— BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
— Lane-Keeping System (includes Lane-Keeping Assist, Lane-Keeping
Alert and Driver Alert)
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB),
Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Dynamic Brake
Support
— Rear View Camera
How pre-collision braking with pedestrian detection works:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/10/23/new-ford-pre-collision-assist-with-pedestrian-detection.html

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Standard on base:
FORD CO-PILOT360TM TECHNOLOGY
● Ford Co-Pilot360TM includes:
— Auto High Beam Headlamps
— BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
— Lane-Keeping System (includes Lane-Keeping Assist, Lane-Keeping
Alert and Driver Alert)
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB),
Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Dynamic Brake
Support
— Rear View Camera
How pre-collision braking with pedestrian detection works:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/10/23/new-ford-pre-collision-assist-with-pedestrian-detection.html

I see that, but the question is whether or not the radar sensor, listed in the owner's manual as "optional" exists on the Base model. I don't like out-of-context quotes from unverifiable sources, but I found this on the Ranger 5g forum:

Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 20210204_001847

edit: just found this in the Owners Manual, suggesting that the Radar Sensor is only included with ACC, and ACC is only an option on Big Bend and above.

Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? Screenshot_20210204-003017_FordPass

Last edited:

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
the manual says that you can turn it pre-collision off. You should not be “stuck” with this and I hope you are wrong because I am the same I do not want any of that tech turned on.
Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 5FB301F2-CCA2-4ABE-82AA-0DB174EAF16E

Are you referring to basic cruise control or adaptive or intelligent cruise control. Adaptive cruise control works with the same concept as the pre collision assist where the radar and camera needs to be unobstructed. Note the fact that adaptive cruise control slows the car down and adapts your speed due to the car in front of you. If neither you using your foot or the system not able to use the sensors, the vehicle will not be able to stop from collisions. One of you need to drive the car. I suggest if you must use cruise control, you use basic cruise control and adjust speed when necessary and turn those systems off that require unobstructed sensors especially if you want to “avoid as much tech as possible.”
Right above the previous owners manual info:
Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? Screenshot_20210204-002629_FordPass

Sounds like you can turn the sensitivity down and the setting is remembered, but you have to go in and disable active braking every time you start the car, and it's not as simple as the conveniently placed Start Stop button.

I should've screenshot the similar post I found (which inspired my creation of this post,) but the only post I can find at this point referencing the regular cruise being linked to the assist is:

Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 20210204_001907

Edit: here's another. Obviously second hand info but curiousity provoking:
Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? Screenshot_20210204-004529_Chrome

Last edited:
OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
if that’s true, hopefully the lowest setting is unintrusive. Can you show the process of manually disabling AdvanceTrac. Once disabled, surely you‘ll be able to use normal cruise control when sensor is obstructed. Not that I’m interested in using cruise control but understand you and others are.
Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 31D66761-D099-4C54-A136-20B610320B79
I'll see what I can figure out about AdvanceTrac; don't see anything about how to disable it in the manual, so I'll have to get my hands dirty and click some screens, haha.

All in all I love this little car, but man oh man do I long for the days when the most annoying thing about newfangled safety features was getting used to the brake pedal pumping back at you with ABS.

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I completely agree with you on that. Wish I could get my hands dirty. All I have is the owners manual to learn about it. Cant find it either. I ordered a paper copy. Tired of scrolling back and forth
It sounds like AdvanceTrac is just a fancy term for Ford's combination Traction control and rollover avoidance control, and that it comes on just like everything else, every time you start the car.

To disable 'AdvanceTrac' is to disable the entirety of the TCS, and I'm not sure I want to do that by default.

As for how to, though, I'll fiddle with it tonight once I'm home and post some photos.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I turned mine off in vehicle/settings on the infotainment screen. No drama no problem, it was simple.
Turned it back on at the softest setting after we warmed up a bit and the snow stopped.
Base model here......

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I turned mine off in vehicle/settings on the infotainment screen. No drama no problem, it was simple.
Turned it back on at the softest setting after we warmed up a bit and the snow stopped.
Base model here......
Check it again... It should turn back on every time you start the car, just like the Auto Start/Stop.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check it again... It should turn back on every time you start the car, just like the Auto Start/Stop.
True, after I turned it off that one time and back on when I got to town I realized It's simpler to Ignore it all together now that I know It was Ice/snow that caused it. Not much winter here so It's a non Issue for me.

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
True, after I turned it off that one time and back on when I got to town I realized It's simpler to Ignore it all together now that I know It was Ice/snow that caused it. Not much winter here so It's a non Issue for me.
Yep. It's not a big deal, just annoying.
My big question was whether or not the Radar Sensor was included on our Bases without ACC, which I was able to glean is not... So now I've just gotta remember to clean the windshield mounted camera when it frosts. No biggie.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Base. From what I've read in your accounts I'm gonna do just fine getting to trailheads on 225/65 Wildpeak AT trails.

I'm still gonna add underbody protection once it's available, but other than that I'm happy ?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10-4 on the underbody stuff, when It's out I will check it out as I am on chunky gravel daily.

OP
OP
schizorage

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
if that’s true, hopefully the lowest setting is unintrusive. Can you show the process of manually disabling AdvanceTrac. Once disabled, surely you‘ll be able to use normal cruise control when sensor is obstructed. Not that I’m interested in using cruise control but understand you and others are.
Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 31D66761-D099-4C54-A136-20B610320B79
Looks like Traction Control is just an off/on in Driver Assistance, it's just automatically activated on start-up.

I'm a defensive driver, and at I haven't had the pre-collision assist kick in yet at any setting.

I'm just glad to have the understanding that it's just the frosty windshield camera and not some radar sensor obscured by the front fascia (although I get the feeling that the camera would be the culprit in most cases even with the ACC radar, it's nice to have one less sensor to worry about.)

Ford Bronco Sport Pre-Collision Assist in cold weather? 20210206_171712
Sponsored