Possible FordPass recall scam

Rinzler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
wanted to share warning on a possible scam. I took my vehicle in for regular service last month and wanted to address this recall: https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/recall-notice-fuel-delivery-module-line-may-leak.3589/

parts needed to be ordered. was expecting a call back from the dealer but a month went by with no word. called and left a message. instead of a return call, shortly after, I got an unsolicited text (redacted info in parens):
"Hi, [Me]! This is Lenie and I'm partnered with [Dealer]. Ford informed us that your 2021 Ford Bronco Sport has an open safety recall. When are you available to have this safety issue corrected? Reply to me here to schedule your service."

The area code is Missouri (I'm East Coast) and I thought this was odd, so I called my dealership. they had no idea what this was and said a similar customer concern was made recently. without much info exchanged they asked me "you use the FordPass app?" (I do). that echoes the other customer.

I called the FordPass team (# provided in app) who confirmed no communication went out via text from them as well (only the mailed recall notices). it's concerning, if truly a security issue, that someone has access to:
-My name
-My phone #
-My vehicle info
-My dealership
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It's enough of a concern that Ford is pushing this warning out to Fordpass App users:
Ford Bronco Sport Possible FordPass recall scam Screenshot_20220816-091301
I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THIS! I saw I had a message in the app after the call.
got the same thing. so, yeah. consider your info compromised and nefarious folk have all your sensitive info on file from Ford

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THIS! I saw I had a message in the app after the call.
got the same thing. so, yeah. consider your info compromised and nefarious folk have all your sensitive info on file from Ford
Your vehicle info and phone number (and address) are pretty much public information - getting mail or spam calls for warranties related to your car or offers to buy it aren't anything new. Just don't share your login credentials to the app or website and you're good.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
consider your info compromised and nefarious folk have all your sensitive info on file from Ford
It's pushed to all users. Getting it doesn't indicate that your information is compromised. Unless there is more to come about some sort of hack that is beyond user control.
Sponsored