Oil Leak Repair 2022 Ford Bronco Sport 270 miles.

mcjreed

Big Bend
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Let me start off by saying I am not here to bash Ford. I am looking for information in order to get a positive outcome to an unusual problem. At least I hope it is an unusual problem. I am looking for constructive advice on what I can do to solve my problem. Please be patient and read through my lengthy situation. Thank you.

I purchased a 2022 Ford Bronco Sport on March 26th in Phoenix Arizona. It had around 26 miles on it. My buying experience was awesome. No extra fees added to the vehicle which made my first new Ford vehicle purchase amazing.
I loved the look, the way it drove, and all the features. Could not be happier.

April 1st, 191 miles. I was driving home from work when I noticed a service vehicle soon warning on the dash with a wrench diagram. Got home and decided I would go to the Ford Service Department in the morning.

April 2nd, 220 miles. Arrived early to get a diagnosis on my service vehicle soon warning. The problem was a selector assembly FOLX6Z-7P155-X needed to be replaced. This item is on back stock, it might be 2 to 6 weeks before it can be fixed. Was told okay to drive the way it was.

April 3rd, 250 miles. Decided to wash the Bronco Sport. I have a driveway with no oil leak spots on it. I noticed three oil spots on my driveway. I looked under my Bronco Sport and noticed oil Leaking. Are you kidding me?

April 4th, 260 miles I texted and called my Salesman about the oil leak and selector assembly. He said he would talk to the Sales Manager about the oil leak and selector assembly. I decided to call and make an appointment for my Bronco Sport with the service advisor who helped me with the selector assembly problem on April 2nd. I explained to the service advisor about the oil leak. He said they are really busy and would not be able to get it in for two weeks or more. I asked him if it was a good idea to drive a New Vehicle with only 260 miles on it with an oil leak. He said there was not much he could do for me, they were really busy. WOW!!! I decided to call the Sales Manager I purchased the Bronco Sport from and asked him if it was a good idea to drive a New Vehicle with a oil leak. He said no and had me bring my Bronco Sport in to him. He gave me a loaner Ford Escape to drive until things get figured out. Bronco Sport now has 271 miles on it.

April 7th, 271 miles. I texted Salesman to get name of Service Advisor I needed to speak with about my Bronco Sport Oil Leak.

April 8th 271 miles. I called Service Manager to get an idea on a time frame. He said they are still really busy and might have some answers later today.

April 11th, 271 miles. Decided to drive down and meet with the Service Manger about what is going on with the Bronco Sport Oil Leak. I had not heard back from him. I guess this is a new engine design and there is a block of aluminum between the top block and the bottom oil pan. The gasket needs to be replaced between the top block and middle block and He said it is a difficult repair. He mentioned that because I have low miles that Ford might give me a new engine. When he said this, I kind of laughed at the idea that my 270 mile Bronco Sport was going to be dismantled and the way he said it was it would be a good thing. He asked me in a very disrespectful way why was I laughing. I really wanted to tell him dismantling my new Bronco Sport was ridiculous, however he is in control of my brand new Bronco Sport so I kept quiet. He said he would keep me posted.

April 18th 272 miles Email Service Manger and Sales Manager to check on progress . (Had not heard back). Spent some time talking with my wife about our disappointing, first new Ford purchase. At 58 years old, I don’t need the added stress of dealing with this. We have decided to try and have Ford give us our money back.

April 19th 272 miles, Called Ford Motor Company in Detroit and filed a case to get a full refund of all my money. Spoke with a Ford representative and told my story of Bronco Sport to date. Told her that I would like Ford to buy my Bronco Sport back. She asked me if I had spoken with the General Manager at the dealership. I told her I had not. Next of things to do. She said she would get back to me Thursday or Friday.
(Same day) Emailed Dealership President and General Manager about my new Bronco Sport with an oil leak. Emailed the following information: “I am writing this email because the Ford representative asked if I had spoken with the GM. I am asking you for help with this. I would like my money back so I can purchase a vehicle for my family. I purchased a Ford Bronco Sport. I don’t feel this vehicle is safe to drive to all the travel destinations we want to go. Please call me.” Received a nice email from Dealership GM. Basically saying he will get his best guy on it. Another Service Manager called and told me he and his service team were going to get to the bottom of the oil leak repair.

April 20th 274 miles Service Manager called and said the engine is out of the Bronco Sport and they are taking it apart. He said Ford Motor Company wants to know if it is a problem with the engine block or a problem with the gasket seal. So if it’s the engine block, I would get a new engine. If it’s a gasket seal, repair seal. 271 miles 21 Days in shop. Still no clear answer on what Ford is going to do to the Bronco Sport. He said he would get back to me Friday. We will see.

April 22th 274 miles Emailed Ford Motor Company to confirm email address and case number. Representative responded and verified email address and case number. I was just looking at your vehicle repair status. I see there is a solenoid seal that is causing the leak. The new seal is to arrive on Monday 4/25. I will check with the dealership and get an update.
I’m not sure where she got that from. That’s not what my Service Advisor said.

April 26th 281 miles. While looking at my Ford Bronco Sport App. I noticed the mileage on Bronco Sport is going up and less fuel in tank. How is this happening to my Bronco Sport if the engine is out of it. I texted Sales Manager and Service Manager that question.
April 15th: 272 miles 212 miles to empty, April 20th: 274 miles 184 miles to empty, April 26th: 281 miles 143 miles to empty.

April 26th 281 miles Service Manager called and said they found a part that was leaking oil and that oil was pooling in an area and then running through a manufactured weep hole down to the bottom of the engine. Making it look like oil was coming from that gasket between the two engine blocks. He said something about running dye in the oil to find the leak.
I explained my confusion that he said Wednesday April 20th that the engine was out and was being inspected for a manufacture defect. Now, it was never out and it is a completely different oil leak problem. He said that is why the mileage is up and the fuel is less.
April 26th 281 miles. Service Manager called to make sure I understood what is going on with my Bronco Sport. I said I understand what might be going on with my Bronco Sport. I don’t understand all the different stories I have been told. I explained that I have a lack of trust right now with what I am being told. Once again we will keep you updated.

April 30th 281 miles. Ford Emailed still same, no response to buyback, no repair update. At lest they are updating me now.

May 3rd 281 miles. Called service manager to find out what was going on with my Bronco Sport. He said he would get with service advisor and have him call me with a update. Service advisor called and said they are still waiting on parts to repair engine. I told him I am about to make my first payment on a Bronco Sport with 270 miles on it, I have owned for 35 days, barely driven, and been in their shop for 30 days. I also asked him if they have a lot of vehicles with only 281 miles getting repaired in the shop. If that was why I can not get a update or call back when I call.

May 4th 281 miles. Asking this forum on any suggestion on how to resolve this problem. Hopefully before my next Bronco Sport payment. Thanks
Sponsored

Kritas

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Research Lemon Law in your state. It seems you have good case.
This. And you may want to engage a lawyer. The reports of Ford dealerships who can't repair almost-new vehicles in a reasonable time frame is the most concerning thing I've read on these forums.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
This. And you may want to engage a lawyer. The reports of Ford dealerships who can't repair almost-new vehicles in a reasonable time frame is the most concerning thing I've read on these forums.
Ford dealers inability to fix vehicles is a common problem. There are good dealer service out there have to search and maybe drive far away. But most are really bad incapable of fixing anything and Ford isn't going to do anything to help.

I would look into lemon law and apply pressure otherwise they just gonna keep fooling around.

OP
OP
mcjreed

mcjreed

Big Bend
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Great advice. I actually thought Ford would solve my problem. What was I thinking. Looking into lemon laws in Arizona. Any one ever use the lemon law before? It’s been 35 days in shop with no clear repair end date.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The only problem with the lemon law is the language... Reasonable time frame for repairs, they can claim the time frame is longer because of COVID protocols and part delays beyond their control. You'll definitely want a lawyer if Ford is not stepping to the plate.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The online or 800 # is a joke. Ford corporate doesn’t seem to give a rat’s ass what their INDEPENDENT dealers do.
Where is the ford guy that is a member here.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The only problem with the lemon law is the language... Reasonable time frame for repairs, they can claim the time frame is longer because of COVID protocols and part delays beyond their control. You'll definitely want a lawyer if Ford is not stepping to the plate.
Most States define "reasonable" in their respective law. For example, IL lemon law lists two requirements that must be met:
  • Have a non-conformity that both substantially impairs its use, safety, or market value; and
  • The non-conformity is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair; or
  • Be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

In this case we have a vehicle whose owner was told he cannot drive due to a mechanical issue, so it meets the first requirment. It has been in the shop (reportedly) for 35 days. Once it's been in the shop for 30 business days it would be covered under the IL lemon law. That means IL has decided 30 business days is a "reasonable" amount of time to effect a repair on a new vehicle.

OP
OP
mcjreed

mcjreed

Big Bend
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I looked into the lemon laws in AZ. They are similar to IL. The 30 days apply to the AZ law. I spoke with a lawyer and they said in Arizona the lemon law fees are covered by the Manufacturer. I’m not sure if they are covered elsewhere. I will not have to pay anything even if it’s denied. He agreed to take my case.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I looked into the lemon laws in AZ. They are similar to IL. The 30 days apply to the AZ law. I spoke with a lawyer and they said in Arizona the lemon law fees are covered by the Manufacturer. I’m not sure if they are covered elsewhere. I will not have to pay anything even if it’s denied. He agreed to take my case.
I hate that it's come to this. I'm sure you're not a fan of the outcome either.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Unfortunately sicking a lawyer on them is needed cause otherwise they are just gonna keep foot dragging.

OP
OP
mcjreed

mcjreed

Big Bend
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I appreciate all your advice with my problem. I will keep you posted on my progress. It is to bad I had to get a lawyer involved. I would rather be driving my Bronco Sport to work, excited to be owning a new vehicle. Now all I am worried about is when I get it back, will there be new problems now that it has been taken apart. This should not be how I feel with a new Ford vehicle with 270 miles on it. Hopefully someone could use my experience to help them solve their problem in the future. I thought that a big company like The Ford Motor Company would do the right thing. Maybe they still will come through. If anyone has had a similar experience please feel free and tell me how you solved your problem. Thanks again for your advice.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I thought that a big company like The Ford Motor Company would do the right thing. Maybe they still will come through.
I don't know all the ins and outs of these situations, but I would assume there are contractual obligations between the manufacturer and the dealership. There is no question that Ford is responsible for honoring the warranty it sells with its vehicles, but its representatives are the dealership network. Ford's hands may be tied with what it can and cannot do as regards controlling a dealership.

If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear what you know.
Sponsored