Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'd like to see this law.
This would cause a horrible traffic flow issues.
§ 20-154. Signals on starting, stopping or turning.

I live in Wake County, the second most populated County in NC. We rarely have horrible traffic flow issues. We also have polite drivers, including myself, that respond nicely to traffic signals.
Feel free to read the statue. If I'm incorrect, so be it. I prefer not to debate the subject.
Sponsored

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I live in Wake County, the second most populated County in NC. We rarely have horrible traffic flow issues. We also have polite drivers, including myself, that respond nicely to traffic signals.
Feel free to read the statue. If I'm incorrect, so be it. I prefer not to debate the subject.
No debate. I have family in NC and travel there a lot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws. I always treat others on the road how I want to be treated.

For anyone else interested the law is just stating that you need to signal with either a lamp or a hand signal.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It's actually a law in North Carolina that, if someone signals a lane change, you slow down and let them in.
I couldn't find anything in the North Carolina Diver Handbook (most of these are online these days) about an obligation to make room for a driver signaling a lane change. It specifically says drivers who intend to change lanes must make sure the lane is clear before doing so.

Curiously, there is mention of signaling your intention to pass another motorist (using your horn), in which case the driver you are passing is legally obligated to "help you," but it doesn't specifically say HOW they must help you. It says if the driver you are passing must slow down to let you back into the lane then you executed an improper pass. I believe the intent is that when you signal a pass the driver you are passing must "help" by not accelerating.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

With respect, I read the section. Here's the relevant text:

The driver of any vehicle upon a highway or public vehicular area before starting, stopping or turning from a direct line shall first see that such movement can be made in safety, and if any pedestrian may be affected by such movement shall give a clearly audible signal by sounding the horn, and whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give a signal as required in this section, plainly visible to the driver of such other vehicle, of the intention to make such movement. The driver of a vehicle shall not back the same unless such movement can be made with safety and without interfering with other traffic.
I do not have full context of this section, but I believe this applies to sharing the road with bicycles and pedestrians, and that driver who are turning are responsible to ensure they do not interfere with other traffic. I see nothing here that requires the driver of a car to make room when another driver signals a lane change. I believe such a law would make for a great deal of legal confusion. Legal responsibility should always lie with the maneuvering vehicle, otherwise how would you determine fault in a traffic accident? A driver changing lanes and causing an accident could simply say that (s)he signaled, alleviating them of all responsibility.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
This reminds me of the first time I drove in Boston. I turned on my blinker to merge and my brother said, “don't use your blinker in Boston; it shows a sign of weakness”
It's a whole new ballgame when you drive in Boston!! Not for the faint of heart.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
With respect, I read the section. Here's the relevant text:

I do not have full context of this section, but I believe this applies to sharing the road with bicycles and pedestrians, and that driver who are turning are responsible to ensure they do not interfere with other traffic. I see nothing here that requires the driver of a car to make room when another driver signals a lane change. I believe such a law would make for a great deal of legal confusion. Legal responsibility should always lie with the maneuvering vehicle, otherwise how would you determine fault in a traffic accident? A driver changing lanes and causing an accident could simply say that (s)he signaled, alleviating them of all responsibility.
Well, I make only one mistakes year. I guess this was it.😔
Sponsored