First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
How did water get into the solenoid?
That's what I'd want to know.
That’s what I would like to know. If it’s an external solenoid that was defective, ok, I can see that. Problem is this would be the second electrical apparatus to fail in the first 2 months of ownership. Not confidence inspiring and my wife is letting me know it.

I have 23 years of experience with larger rear wheel drive transmissions and more than a table spoon of water in one of them is over the allowed limit. I would guess the allowed amount would be less in yours. If I were you I would really want to understand if this shift solenoid is internal or not. Water over the allowed amount can cause issue with the backing on the fiber plates leading to early failure.

Good Luck
Preaching to the choir here, I’m in complete agreement. I grew up on a farm wrenching on equipment, dad was an owner/operator of a semi and I’ve spent many a weekend in a grease pit under a truck. I’ve been a maintenance tech, mechanic, industrial electrician/troubleshooter, and now a Facilities Manager my entire adult life. Not saying I’m an expert but I know a thing or two about machines. That’s part of the reason I wanted to drive it to the dealer, I wanted to understand what it’s real symptoms were so I could communicate that to the service department. I fully intend to find out what part it is they replaced when we go pick it up tomorrow. If it is indeed something internal we are going to have a discussion.

My only experience with the newer generation of Ford’s transmissions where solenoids control everything is limited to the 6R140 in my truck. Guess I need to educate myself about the BS tranny.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
Update…

The Bronco is back at home. The wife reports it is running great, maybe better than before? @JerryC nailed it, speed sensor, or more specifically Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor part# JM5Z-7M101-B, available for about $15 dollars online from places like Tasca or Lakeview. My wife misspoke about the part they told her they were going to replace so all the speculation about a shift solenoid was for naught.

Service department was closed by the time we got there so didn’t get to speak with anyone. A little quick research shows this part is external and accessible by pulling fender liner. This isn’t a serviceable part, not sure how they cleaned the water out of it unless it was cracked? Or they were talking about the plug. Either way, looks like I need to go all over the vehicle looking for loose plug connections and damaged sensors to make sure we don’t have another problem like this next month.

The wife’s faith in her BS slowly coming back this evening, She was happy to get behind the wheel again, which is a big change from 2 days ago! She was ready to trade it in! With guarded optimism, let’s hope all goes well from here on out and maybe in a few months none of the issues we have had are remembered!

Its her Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Ford Escape and Mercury Mountaineer
That’s what I would like to know. If it’s an external solenoid that was defective, ok, I can see that. Problem is this would be the second electrical apparatus to fail in the first 2 months of ownership. Not confidence inspiring and my wife is letting me know it.

Preaching to the choir here, I’m in complete agreement. I grew up on a farm wrenching on equipment, dad was an owner/operator of a semi and I’ve spent many a weekend in a grease pit under a truck. I’ve been a maintenance tech, mechanic, industrial electrician/troubleshooter, and now a Facilities Manager my entire adult life. Not saying I’m an expert but I know a thing or two about machines. That’s part of the reason I wanted to drive it to the dealer, I wanted to understand what it’s real symptoms were so I could communicate that to the service department. I fully intend to find out what part it is they replaced when we go pick it up tomorrow. If it is indeed something internal we are going to have a discussion.

My only experience with the newer generation of Ford’s transmissions where solenoids control everything is limited to the 6R140 in my truck. Guess I need to educate myself about the BS tranny.
I KNOW the 6R140 very very well. Hope your super duty is doing well for you.

3leggedhorse

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Not sure if this applies but I remember seeing a post about someone's BS having a firewall that wasnt sealed, just tack welded resulting in leaking rain water and mold issues. I am not sure where exactly your issues are but you had two electrical/sensor issues under 1k miles...Is it water coming in from someowhere where it shouldnt?

OP
OP

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
So back to the dealer we go. The transmission has been fine but the check engine light came on again for the exhaust emissions sensor. This is the second time for the exhaust. Dropped it off yesterday and my wife picked it up today while I was at work.

They said water is getting into the wiring and shorting it out. Told her they dried it as best they could and added dielectric grease (where I don’t know) and it should be ok for awhile. She left the dealer and ran a few errands and the check engine light came back on. So back we go again to drop it off tomorrow.

This thing is advertised as having a fording depth of 23” of water, how the hell is rain or a car wash causing it to short out? Frustrating.

OP
OP

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
Also want to add, the dealer has been VERY supportive in all of our problems, we have no complaints with them. I know what it’s like trying to track intermittent electrical problems, it’s no damn fun. It’s just a shame a vehicle my wife and I both like so much is becoming such a disappointment.

Kellykel

Big Bend
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
My wife was leaving in our BSBL to go pick our kid up from school today and she said when she shifted into drive she got a loud hard “thunk” into gear. Pulled out of the driveway and it didn’t want to go then all the sudden took off like normal then slowed down again. She decided she couldn’t drive it so stopped and put it in reverse, but it wouldn’t go into reverse. She went forward and found a place to turn around and got it back to the house.

When I got home from work I took it for a ride. It shifted into reverse like normal for me, pulled out into the road and it seemed fine, then it fell on its face, barely moving, then took off like a rocket until it needed to shift to the next gear, then fell in its face again. First stop sign I came too, it didn’t want to move from a stop, giving steady light throttle it SLAMMED into gear and started moving again. It does this at every stop. If you can get it up to 40ish mph it seems ok for the most part.

Here are the notifications that show up on the FordPass app….

Ford Bronco Sport Looks Like the Honeymoon is Over 238F2D32-99D7-404A-A735-F3A47AEF5547

It’s going back to the dealer this afternoon. This will be the second issue we have had. The day after we picked it up in January the engine light came on. Turned out to be a bad oxygen sensor that was replaced last week. I thought that was going to be the one “big” issue we were going to have with our new BS but apparently I was wrong. The excitement of a new vehicle is officially gone for both my wife and I.

Will update when I find out more.
Sounds like transmission which I am having problems with also. The transmission mount was broken so it had to be replaced. After that am still having slight delays with the shifting. Good luck. This should be the next of many problems you will have. Sorry.

OP
OP

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
Since this popped back up today figured I would give a 2 year update.

We still have our Bronco Sport, now with about 16k miles. Since the initial flurry of issues shortly after purchase, this thing has been rock solid. No more issues to speak of after the dealer replaced/sealed up the wiring that was causing the problem. No issues at all. Runs great with plenty of power, exterior still looks great, and the interior is holding up nicely. It’s a beast in the snow and fun to drive.

We don’t put a ton of miles on like some others might but it runs daily if for no other reason than to take the kid to school. We have taken it on a few 3 hour trips and never once worried about reliability. The wife still loves it, although she does wish it had just a little more space in the hatch. She came from an Explorer and an F-150 before that so understandable. I like and use the cargo management shelf all the time when I get groceries and feel like there is plenty of room. She doesn’t like to use the CM shelf and complains she needs more room 🤷‍♂️.

We ordered just about every feature we could on our Badlands except the driver assist stuff. We even got the dreaded sunroof and the tow hitch that added months to the lead time. I’m happy to report we have never had an issue with the sunroof, no leaks, still works great although we hardly ever open it. We pull the shade back sometimes but that’s it.

The B&O stereo is fine but I still wish it had some more bump to it. That 6”x9” for a sub bothers me.

So that’s it, we are overall happy with the vehicle and plan on keeping it around for a long time to come. If anyone has some specific questions they would like to ask I will be happy to try and answer them.

Kellykel I hope your situation ends up working out like ours has.
Sponsored