Hot pepper red

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hi, I am considering installing a lift kit on my badlands, and I am concerned about the increased cv joint angle may cause the cv joints to prematurely wear out. My understanding is that around 15 degrees is a safe angle to prevent premature failure. I would like to know if anyone one has measured the cv joint angle after they installed a lift kit?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hot pepper red

Hot pepper red

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I was curious what the stock cv joint angle is on my front and rear cv drive shafts, and I used my digital angle finder to see what they are. The front is at 6.1⁰ and the rear is at 1.3⁰. I then jacked up my front end to see what angle it would be at with a 1.25" lift kit, and it is at 9.5⁰.
I contacted HRG offroad, and Ben was kind enough to measure his bronco sport badlands with a 2.5" lift kit installed, and the picture he sent me is right at 15⁰. So, it appears that a 2.5" or less lift kit will not cause any premature wear on the cv joints. As always there are numerous other factors that cause cv joint, suspension, and steering component wear. I am impressed with the customer service at HRG off road, and I'll be buying my lift kit from them.

Ford Bronco Sport Lift kit cv joint angle 20220913_181248

Ford Bronco Sport Lift kit cv joint angle 20220913_180727

Ford Bronco Sport Lift kit cv joint angle 20220913_180115

Last edited:

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I have the hrg lift installed on mine. The 1.5” on my badlands. My CVs are good. I checked after it was lifted. Static and at full droop and was ok. I wouldn’t go over 2” at max even with drop spacers. That’s another thread lol. But the CVs are good. Just check them occasionally like with any lifted. The ribs on my CV boots don’t rub on themselves either. You’re more than ok.

bucking915

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Keep in mind that with a spacer kit, not only will the CV angles be higher when the vehicle is sitting still, but it will also affect the angles when the suspension compresses or unloads and droops. Lift springs generally do not have this issue as the angles when the suspension unloads and droops will not go beyond stock. Only downside is the ride quality with springs can and will change depending on who manufactures the spring. Personally, I am waiting for the Eibach Lift springs.

Will the spacer kits prematurely wear the CV joints? Maybe, maybe not. I will say that with my F150, I did a spacer level kit and had no issues until I did some mild offroading. It then started to go through IWEs like crazy. Thankfully the bronco sport doesn't use IWEs.

BRBronco

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2022
I contacted HRG offroad, and Ben was kind enough to measure his bronco sport badlands with a 2.5" lift kit installed, and the picture he sent me is right at 15⁰. So, it appears that a 2.5" or less lift kit will not cause any premature wear on the cv joints. As always there are numerous other factors that cause cv joint, suspension, and steering component wear. I am impressed with the customer service at HRG off road, and I'll be buying my lift kit from them.
Does HRG produce 2.5" lift kits? I couldn't find on their web site. Only 1.5".

OP
OP
Hot pepper red

Hot pepper red

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I assume that they are in the testing phase. I was told by them that they have the larger lift on their bronco sport, and they gave me cv joint angle measurements based off of the larger lift.

BRBronco

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2022
Thanks for the answer. Let's wait then.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i still have mine sitting in the box at home. i didnt put in on this summer due to camping every weekend and big road trips. but tbh i'm not too concerned with any premature wear on suspension or axles, i trust HRG.
Sponsored