How well has your 1.5L bronco sport performed off road?

SkyHigh98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
Just curious as I plan on buying a used one in a few years, how well has yours done off road? Do you have any pictures of yours off roading?
Sponsored

Kraken

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Just curious as I plan on buying a used one in a few years, how well has yours done off road? Do you have any pictures of yours off roading?
I haven't done anything too serious off-road yet. I've only driven Mustangs before, so I'm completely new to going off pavement.

I have been exploring some trails and forest roads locally. This picture below was taken on one of the more smoother parts of a trail I did a couple weeks ago, the rest of it was quite steep with ruts and covered in softball-football sized rocks to go over. I wasn't really wanting to stop and pose for pictures at those parts ?.

My Base model handled it effortlessly, never even needed to switch out of Normal mode.

Ford Bronco Sport How well has your 1.5L bronco sport performed off road? IMG_20210820_180353470_HDR

Ford Bronco Sport How well has your 1.5L bronco sport performed off road? IMG_20210820_181607274_HDR

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Bronco Sport isn't so much an offroad vehicle, it's a vehicle that has offroad capability.
Depending on which model you get, that capability varies. Who knows if you will actually buy one or even be interested in a few years.
A lot of things can happen or change in that time frame.
What's keeping you from jumping in now?

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I bet one of the reasons for not jumping in now has to do with paying Jeep Wrangler prices for a bronco sport. With the markups you guys suffer in the USA, you can get a rubicon here. So why get a BS?

Anyway, the 1.5 spec does fine off road depending on how you define off road. If off road = not paved (gravel roads) to you, then it is every bit as good as a VW Golf. Once you start upping the anti a bit and exploring down road right of ways, it also does fine. At least it does here in southern Ontario. I have driven mine over road right of ways which turn into narrow dirt tracks where clearance becomes an issue. Even those tracks are still roads that a set up front drive rally car could do at high speed. The drive train gave no grief but I was also not taxing it. Personally, I am not planning on getting too carried away until I redo the suspension and get some proper skid plates. Doing that right is way cheaper than a big recovery and repair.

What none of these machines are is a rock crawler or deep mud machine or river crossing machine (if that river is actually deep). I have forded low rivers and it is quite fun.

I would be curious if the low placed electronics in the vehicle could be relocated higher up? Installing a snorkel is easy - drill, paint, and replumb the air intake.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The Bronco Sport isn't so much an offroad vehicle, it's a vehicle that has offroad capability.
Depending on which model you get, that capability varies. Who knows if you will actually buy one or even be interested in a few years.
A lot of things can happen or change in that time frame.
What's keeping you from jumping in now?
Technically every car has off-road capabilities as off-road does include marked dirt and gravel roads. The limits depend on the vehicle, the equipment, and the driver. If you don't know what you're doing when you get to a serious section it doesn't matter how good the truck, tires, and equipment are if the driver doesn't know how to operate in those conditions.
1.5 L has very serious limitations to deep stuff, and if you don't have experience, a winch, or another vehicle with you, you may want to go where you know the terrain well. However, I have impressed some serious off-roaders with the abilities of this tiny engine that manages to do quite a bit more than I had originally thought. As for an easy rock crawl, you would definitely want to add protection first. I don't think I'd attempt a major rock crawl in this model especially without serious alterations to the BS.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technically every car has off-road capabilities as off-road does include marked dirt and gravel roads. The limits depend on the vehicle, the equipment, and the driver. If you don't know what you're doing when you get to a serious section it doesn't matter how good the truck, tires, and equipment are if the driver doesn't know how to operate in those conditions.
1.5 L has very serious limitations to deep stuff, and if you don't have experience, a winch, or another vehicle with you, you may want to go where you know the terrain well. However, I have impressed some serious off-roaders with the abilities of this tiny engine that manages to do quite a bit more than I had originally thought. As for an easy rock crawl, you would definitely want to add protection first. I don't think I'd attempt a major rock crawl in this model especially without serious alterations to the BS.
Gravel roads are not off road. They are gravel. Splitting hairs maybe, but they are definitely roads.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Gravel roads are not off road. They are gravel. Splitting hairs maybe, but they are definitely roads.
Definition of off-road
adverb
away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.

This means any unpaved road or path

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definition of off-road
adverb
away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.

This means any unpaved road or path
Better definition of off road: anything not, you know, an actual road.
Sorry, but if I can rail down a gravel road in a stock Golf 7 at 130kmph, it isn’t off road.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
our base did great off road! it likes to climb. 1 hill was giving the bs a hard time, put it in sand, found the sweetspot on the throttle, and it made it.
i still think theres some stellar off road technology on these platforms.
however, id totally do skid plates and a small lift for next time. there are some vulnerable parts hanging low.

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have the Outer Banks base model with 225 60 R18 Michelin street tires. I lowered the air pressure to 30psi so I can drive it like that. Went into very loose soft dirt and it performed flawlessly.
Sponsored