DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
I picked up the Harbor Freight cross bars for $80. I have no misconception of what they can and can't handle in terms of dynamic loading, but for my very limited use for them until I get a dedicated platform, they beat a $600 pair of Yakima's handly.

The Harbor Freight cross bars have a t-slot along the top for mounting accessories, but I couldn't find any specs on the slot dimensions. After some measuring, I believe they match Rhino Rack's t-slot, in case you already have any of their accessories.

I hopped onto McMaster-Carr and purchased some stainless t-slot nuts, stainless threaded rods, aluminum spacers, and plastic handles with steel threaded inserts. With these, I can mount my X-Bull track boards and free up much needed space inside the vehicle. I can also leave the boards clamped together and slide the assembly, t-nuts and all, out the side of the crossbars for storage and to roll around with less wind noise. I also plan to get some quick fists and use the same t-nuts to mount a shovel up top.

Here are the parts I ordered and their sizes/lengths. Note: I sized the threaded rods and spacers to use the recessed, inner mounting holes of the track boards, but ended up using the front and rear holes due to moonroof/crossbar spacing constraints. Still happy that I sized them properly so I can use them on the inner holes once I have a platform. Also note, I picked up the stainless 1" outer diameter - 3/8" inner diameter washers from the local Ace Hardware.

T-Nuts
Threaded Rods
Aluminum Spacers
Threaded Handles

Ford Bronco Sport Harbor Freight and McMaster-Carr FTW PXL_20220311_224044324

Ford Bronco Sport Harbor Freight and McMaster-Carr FTW PXL_20220311_212420391.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Harbor Freight and McMaster-Carr FTW PXL_20220311_212920198.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Harbor Freight and McMaster-Carr FTW PXL_20220311_222655047.NIGHT~2

Ford Bronco Sport Harbor Freight and McMaster-Carr FTW PXL_20220311_223738521~2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
McMaster-Carr, the Amazon of the business world. Looks great! I did something similar 35 years ago on a Taurus wagon. Was able to mount our 4 place bike rack directly to the side rails.