Ford possibly missing a whole accessory class?

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm just wondering if Ford even considers those of us with certain needs for accessories too. I'd love to be able to by a wheelchair system like they make for the interior bike holders. Or an oxygen tank holding system that I could attach using my rear seat belts. Does anyone even give these types of accessories any consideration cause I have plenty of them. There may be more people interested in these type of accessories than Ford realizes!
Oh, and sell them with all the other accessories, not some specialty class where you can't find them.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'm just wondering if Ford even considers those of us with certain needs for accessories too. I'd love to be able to by a wheelchair system like they make for the interior bike holders. Or an oxygen tank holding system that I could attach using my rear seat belts. Does anyone even give these types of accessories any consideration cause I have plenty of them. There may be more people interested in these type of accessories than Ford realizes!
Oh, and sell them with all the other accessories, not some specialty class where you can't find them.
I think you have a pretty valid point. I'd be curious how large the market is for wheelchair accessories and oxygen tank attachments. Understand what I am saying, I truly have no idea how big the need is, personally, I don't see this as a huge market for Ford directly as a cost-effective investment. I do believe there are aftermarket companies that specialize and focus on medical needs accessories. A partnership with those companies making products specifically for Ford would be more likely. A friend of mine does basically that sort of work, while not for medical applications, he works for a Ford offshoot that specializes in aftermarket gadgets. They have contact with design engineers to meet specs and ensure quality application, but it's outside sourcing, not Ford retail/accessories.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
The demand is not high enough for auto companies to provide specialty accessories for every possible requirement. There are olther companies that do after market modfications.

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The demand is not high enough for auto companies to provide specialty accessories for every possible requirement. There are olther companies that do after market modfications.
If this is true is it possible the demand isn't there because the availability isn't there?

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think you have a pretty valid point. I'd be curious how large the market is for wheelchair accessories and oxygen tank attachments. Understand what I am saying, I truly have no idea how big the need is, personally, I don't see this as a huge market for Ford directly as a cost-effective investment. I do believe there are aftermarket companies that specialize and focus on medical needs accessories. A partnership with those companies making products specifically for Ford would be more likely. A friend of mine does basically that sort of work, while not for medical applications, he works for a Ford offshoot that specializes in aftermarket gadgets. They have contact with design engineers to meet specs and ensure quality application, but it's outside sourcing, not Ford retail/accessories.
I honestly don't know the "market" on this either. However, has any auto manufacturer advertised as being "Handicap Friendly"? Ford could easily do a study to see what are the top ten items to accessorize and now they have just opened a new attraction to their vehicle's. The Bronco Sport is a perfect place to start. Just think of all our "Wounded Warriors", surely some of them are interested as am I. Love to even get your friend to look into this if only for some brackets to purchase to hold this type of equipment down.

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I have purchased two new converted mini-vans, the latest a VMI Honda Odyssey Ramp Van. I am very familiar with this market. I my opinion, the Sport is far too small to get a powered wheelchair in, although some conversion manufacturers have done conversions on small vehicles. I guess it depends on the level of disability and whether a powered wheelchair must enter the vehicle via a ramp. In that case, it takes space, lots of it.

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have purchased two new converted mini-vans, the latest a VMI Honda Odyssey Ramp Van. I am very familiar with this market. I my opinion, the Sport is far too small to get a powered wheelchair in, although some conversion manufacturers have done conversions on small vehicles. I guess it depends on the level of disability and whether a powered wheelchair must enter the vehicle via a ramp. In that case, it takes space, lots of it.
Sorry if I'm confusing people. I'm not really talking about full conversions or anything like that. I was talking more about walkers, push wheelchairs, medical equipment, or smaller stuff like portable oxygen tanks. Having accessories like hold down brackets or snap over straps, just some simple accessories that could be used a number of ways to secure these in a vehicle.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Sorry if I'm confusing people. I'm not really talking about full conversions or anything like that. I was talking more about walkers, push wheelchairs, medical equipment, or smaller stuff like portable oxygen tanks. Having accessories like hold down brackets or snap over straps, just some simple accessories that could be used a number of ways to secure these in a vehicle.
Perhaps by "accident" the molle system on the back of the driver/passenger seats, there are multiple molle water bottle accessories which would hold a personal oxygen tank. They fit small fire extinguishers which are the same size. Just a thought.
Sample amazon

Ford Bronco Sport Ford possibly missing a whole accessory class? 81mZ6irMwAL._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Sport Ford possibly missing a whole accessory class? 41fUt9J5w4L._AC_SY1000_

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Perhaps by "accident" the molle system on the back of the driver/passenger seats, there are multiple molle water bottle accessories which would hold a personal oxygen tank. They fit small fire extinguishers which are the same size. Just a thought.
Sample amazon

Ford Bronco Sport Ford possibly missing a whole accessory class? 81mZ6irMwAL._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Sport Ford possibly missing a whole accessory class? 41fUt9J5w4L._AC_SY1000_
Thank you, I will definitely check into it. So far I am really enjoying my sport!

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I understand your plight, having a disabled family member and all of the support equipment and such that goes along with it. The hard truth is that the Bronco Sport is an active/outdoor/adventure vehicle and the target market, as evidenced by the marketing material, is mountain bikers and folks that can climb up into a roof-mounted tent.

Most of what you're looking for is available (usually at significant cost) in the aftermarket. Mobility/adaptive equipment is a specialized industry and there is a lot of equipment, but unfortunately you have to hunt for it and pay a premium. I've made stuff out of 80/20 (good stuff, look it up), PVC and so forth in an effort to provide functionality for a family member.

I wish you the best, and check out the 80/20 stuff, it is modular and allows economical fabrication of one-off or low-production custom items like what you may need for your wheelchair/walker loading and storage.

OP
OP
Steelbronco

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I understand your plight, having a disabled family member and all of the support equipment and such that goes along with it. The hard truth is that the Bronco Sport is an active/outdoor/adventure vehicle and the target market, as evidenced by the marketing material, is mountain bikers and folks that can climb up into a roof-mounted tent.

Most of what you're looking for is available (usually at significant cost) in the aftermarket. Mobility/adaptive equipment is a specialized industry and there is a lot of equipment, but unfortunately you have to hunt for it and pay a premium. I've made stuff out of 80/20 (good stuff, look it up), PVC and so forth in an effort to provide functionality for a family member.

I wish you the best, and check out the 80/20 stuff, it is modular and allows economical fabrication of one-off or low-production custom items like what you may need for your wheelchair/walker loading and storage.
Thank you, I will definitely look into it. I appreciate any help!

phanoko

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I've been looking at bronco as well, wondering how I can stow my chair. I'm an incomplete ( C6-C7 ) and can use forearm crutches to help get my chair out, but it'd be great if we had some options available or documented. I was wondering if the rear drivers seat could be removed and my chair stowed their. If they doors were off it could just slide off or down

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If this is true is it possible the demand isn't there because the availability isn't there?
Most that need wheel chair access would be better served with a modified mini van. Definitely a specialty thing to be found aftermarket.
These are often insurance or Medicare covered to some degree.
The availability is there, you just have to find it.
Remember, sky net,, err, as you were,, Google knows all~~~~~
Sponsored