Engine? Dash? Moaning/Rattling noise after using sport mode....

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hey all,

Thank you for your help so far, from other threads.....I have gone through them all and have watched/read them to their entirety. like others have posted, it happens after driving for a while and then driving slowly in a parking lot.....around 1500 RPM/when shifting.

I have created my own thread regarding this noise issue on my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands (377 miles on the ODO) is making because it seems different in nature.... And so far for me, it only happens after using sport mode?!...That seems weird to me and almost leads me to believe the noise is a malfunction to the active noise cancellation/ engine noise enhancement the BS does with the 2.0 and the B&O sound system.....any thoughts on this?

*It has yet to make this noise Normal mode.
*I thought maybe its the transmission, but if I rev the engine in park to 1500 it will still make this noise, just not as bad....again only in sport mode.
*one thread suggested some oil separator valve may be the issue.....does sport mode affect this?
*park cable may be to blame?.... but again only sport mode its doing this.
*If i change the mode to Eco or Normal though, the noise still persists

Still haven't been able to get ahold of my Ford dealers service department to make an appointment....waiting for a call back.

Any thoughts/ideas to what could be this noise would be appreciated. Here is the link, VOLUME UP!!!

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hey all,

Thank you for your help so far, from other threads.....I have gone through them all and have watched/read them to their entirety. like others have posted, it happens after driving for a while and then driving slowly in a parking lot.....around 1500 RPM/when shifting.

I have created my own thread regarding this noise issue on my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands (377 miles on the ODO) is making because it seems different in nature.... And so far for me, it only happens after using sport mode?!...That seems weird to me and almost leads me to believe the noise is a malfunction to the active noise cancellation/ engine noise enhancement the BS does with the 2.0 and the B&O sound system.....any thoughts on this?

*It has yet to make this noise Normal mode.
*I thought maybe its the transmission, but if I rev the engine in park to 1500 it will still make this noise, just not as bad....again only in sport mode.
*one thread suggested some oil separator valve may be the issue.....does sport mode affect this?
*park cable may be to blame?.... but again only sport mode its doing this.
*If i change the mode to Eco or Normal though, the noise still persists

Still haven't been able to get ahold of my Ford dealers service department to make an appointment....waiting for a call back.

Any thoughts/ideas to what could be this noise would be appreciated. Here is the link, VOLUME UP!!!

Hi there, Matt! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, go ahead and send a message to us with your VIN and dealership info. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you!

OP
OP
BronzeSmokeBadlands

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there, Matt! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, go ahead and send a message to us with your VIN and dealership info. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you!
Ford reached out to me in another thread I commented on regarding this noise. I gave them my information a few days ago and haven't heard back from Ford corporate. I was finally able to make an appointment for three weeks from now at my Ford Dealer.

OP
OP
BronzeSmokeBadlands

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update if anyone is actually reading this, I can't edit the original thread..... the noise is now starting to happen in Normal mode in the same situations... just not as prevalent/loud. Sent an email with these videos to my dealer, the service writer wrote back and stated their one Badlands they have makes the same noise after a drive and parking lot driving...... so I guess this may be normal. Still have an appointment in a few weeks.

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Update if anyone is actually reading this, I can't edit the original thread..... the noise is now starting to happen in Normal mode in the same situations... just not as prevalent/loud. Sent an email with these videos to my dealer, the service writer wrote back and stated their one Badlands they have makes the same noise after a drive and parking lot driving...... so I guess this may be normal. Still have an appointment in a few weeks.
I have this same noise in my outerbanks under 2000 miles, after posting in a facebook thread some have the noise and some don't. Which which tells me it is not normal but it is common and I have yet to find a fix for it since dealerships like to say its normal.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Exact same noise/rattle for my 2021 Badlands but in every mode. Interestingly enough, usually requires the engine to warm up first...doesn't seem to happen for the first few minutes after a cold start. Which may explain why the dealership said "could not replicate" the first time I took it in. Will try to take a service tech for a ride after I've been driving for a bit and then the noise is a guarantee. If Ford wants us to believe this is "normal" when it's unlike any other transmission noise I've ever heard on any vehicle (turbo or otherwise) then this will be my last Ford! It's extremely annoying even though it doesn't seem to affect driveability, although acceleration does seem poorer than the Badlands I took for a test drive (which didn't have the noise), so maybe it is affecting something.

My 2009 Ford Flex required three PTU replacements under warranty in the first 18 months I owned it...thankfully they finally got it right and it's still driving today, 310,000kms and counting.

OP
OP
BronzeSmokeBadlands

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exact same noise/rattle for my 2021 Badlands but in every mode. Interestingly enough, usually requires the engine to warm up first...doesn't seem to happen for the first few minutes after a cold start. Which may explain why the dealership said "could not replicate" the first time I took it in. Will try to take a service tech for a ride after I've been driving for a bit and then the noise is a guarantee. If Ford wants us to believe this is "normal" when it's unlike any other transmission noise I've ever heard on any vehicle (turbo or otherwise) then this will be my last Ford! It's extremely annoying even though it doesn't seem to affect driveability, although acceleration does seem poorer than the Badlands I took for a test drive (which didn't have the noise), so maybe it is affecting something.

My 2009 Ford Flex required three PTU replacements under warranty in the first 18 months I owned it...thankfully they finally got it right and it's still driving today, 310,000kms and counting.
Yeah mine is doing it now in all modes, usually after a long drive like you said. But when I put the transmission in neutral, and rev the engine, it will still make the noise at around 1500 RPM which leads me to believe its not the Transmission??? Just from the engine?? I will have the tech ride with me when I drop it off next week so they don't think I'm crazy .

I sent the video to the Service writer and he said the one and only Badlands they had was doing it too and he thought it was normal. I asked if I could come by and drive it, and it was already sold/preordered and gone.

The transmission shifts fine and drives fine..... So its just weird to me that its doing it from time to time.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah mine is doing it now in all modes, usually after a long drive like you said. But when I put the transmission in neutral, and rev the engine, it will still make the noise at around 1500 RPM which leads me to believe its not the Transmission??? Just from the engine?? I will have the tech ride with me when I drop it off next week so they don't think I'm crazy .

I sent the video to the Service writer and he said the one and only Badlands they had was doing it too and he thought it was normal. I asked if I could come by and drive it, and it was already sold/preordered and gone.

The transmission shifts fine and drives fine..... So its just weird to me that its doing it from time to time.
Good point on trying it in neutral...I've not tried that yet and just assumed it was a transmission issue. If it's doing it in neutral at the same RPM point (mine is also right around 1500 or rolling at about 10mph) I wonder if it's something less egregious like a belt vibration or a valve rattle? Anyway, I'm no mechanic and the vehicle is under warranty, so like you I intend to let the Ford team figure it out and make it right. Definitely not "normal" though. My wife's Mazda CX-9 is also a 2.0L turbo and sounds quiet and smooth as butter at all RPM levels...so Ford and its dealers can't try to tell customers that a unique flaw or factory glitch is just to be accepted.

OP
OP
BronzeSmokeBadlands

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if it's something less egregious like a belt vibration or a valve rattle? Anyway, I'm no mechanic and the vehicle is under warranty, so like you I intend to let the Ford team figure it out and make it right. Definitely not "normal" though. My wife's Mazda CX-9 is also a 2.0L turbo and sounds quiet and smooth as butter at all RPM levels...so Ford and its dealers can't try to tell customers that a unique flaw or factory glitch is just to be accepted.
Yep I'm wondering if it's that too...valve noise that has to do with a certain engine load?? ......I had a 2021 Acura prior with a 2.0L turbo and it also would make some weird, almost straining noises under load, like when climbing a uphill driveway....but nothing like this...

I am impressed with the 2.0L Ecoboost in general...very quite at idle compared to the Acura...also I feel as though the engine is just as smooth....

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
But when I put the transmission in neutral, and rev the engine, it will still make the noise at around 1500 RPM which leads me to believe its not the Transmission???
Does it make noise sitting still at 1500 rpm? If so they should be able to use a Mechanic Stethoscope placing the metal probe on various areas of engine transmission to determine area making noise. Has the Park Release Cable been disconnected from transmission to see if noise goes away?

OP
OP
BronzeSmokeBadlands

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it make noise sitting still at 1500 rpm? If so they should be able to use a Mechanic Stethoscope placing the metal probe on various areas of engine transmission to determine area making noise. Has the Park Release Cable been disconnected from transmission to see if noise goes away?
Yes the cable is still attached, mine was built 03/22, so it supposedly has the "updated" part.
I don't go in till June 15, and yes when the noise is acting up, you can reproduce it by revving up the RPMS and when they come back down to 1500, it will make the noise. So hopefully they can figure it out.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Once it warms up the tractor diesel rattle is def louder. Noticed it on mine. Using GoPro could tell from when I first put it on to after it was run a while. Don’t notice any driving issues.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Hey there! I can look into your Bronco's noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco's noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?
Thank you sir (or madam), I'd be happy to. I'm not familiar enough with this forum to know how to send a separate private message to you...can you provide the best address to send you a DM? Thanks
Sponsored