Do I need to shift the GOAT mode for driving in the snow or is 4wd fulltime?

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
So I'm wondering whether it's OK to use Slippery mode at highway speeds (more or less) for rain-slicked or snowy roads, or is there a max speed you can use the mode at?
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/engine-and-transmission/standard-and-available-drive-modes/. I found a Bronco page, and a Maverick one, both with this link it seems, but nothing Specific for the bronco sport. But. I’ve used slippery on the highway in the explorer & honestly it works just fine. I’ve never seen anything that says there’s a max speed to use it, other than as pointed out, your own limited by conditions speed.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hard rain , Snow or icy roads , speed would be limited anyway , (unless you want to lose control ), so you may never see 70-75mph highway speeds any way , but if I know my wife , she is probably up there on speed . Not worried about Ice or Snow down here , so cant say what speed she would dive at in those conditions .
The manual says SLIPPERY mode is good for hard surfaces covered with snow or ice. It also cautions against using it on dry pavement. The caution is related to the way the clutches in the system transfer power to the front and rear wheels. In normal mode the system is on-demand 4wd; power goes to the rear wheels only when they slip. In SLIPPERY mode the system goes into full-time 4wd, which means a clutch-based system connects the rear wheels to the engine at all times. Much like other full-time 4wd systems, the full-time 4wd system in the Bronco Sport is not meant for dry pavement because of the stress placed on the transfer system. You can experiment yourself. Select SLIPPERY and drive slowly around a parking lot. You'll hear the clutch making a stuttering noise as it slips to allow for the different rotation speeds between and across the axles. It won't cause anything to break, but the clutch slipping causes unnecessary wear. Do it enough and components will wear out prematurely.

Personally, I would keep the system in NORMAL at all times on the road and just slow down. GOAT modes other than NORMAL, ECO, and SPORT should be reserved for off-road adventures. I would consider SLIPPERY mode if forced to drive on a snow-packed road, but only if I couldn't just stay home.

EDIT: Here's the page in the owner's manual describing SLIPPERY mode. Excerpt:

NOTE: Do not use this mode when driving on dry pavement. This could cause driveline bind up and damage the system depending on the four-wheel drive mode selection.
In the section titled Using Four-Wheel Drive the manual states:

Note: Do not use the four-wheel drive lock, the rear differential lock or off-road selectable drive modes on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so can produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and may damage drive components. These features are only intended for consistently slippery or loose surfaces. Operating your vehicle outside of these conditions could subject the vehicle to excessive stress, which may result in damage not covered under your warranty.
Based on this, I would not use SLIPPERY mode on a hard-surfaced road unless it was snow- or ice-packed.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
So I'm wondering whether it's OK to use Slippery mode at highway speeds (more or less) for rain-slicked or snowy roads, or is there a max speed you can use the mode at?
Yes you can. Slippery is mainly numbing of the throttle so a little throttle foot movement has less effect.
I feel it is NOT needed or beneficial in the rain. But very helpful on ice and snow. I had my base model all last winter. Got it in Dec 2020.
Leave sand mode alone, think deep sand only, so Only.
I still say my foot gives better mpg’s than Eco mode. I find Eco as useless as hen chit on a pump handle.. :,P

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Correct me If I’m wrong Goat Guru’s but this is a simple as I can talk about the GOAT and not doing damage to the system.
For the Five Goat mode owners. Leave Sand alone unless your in deep sand. Play with the others all you like and remember climbing or creeping say under 12 mph Low gear holds engine RPM higher, into the turbo that comes online at about 1700 RPM. This makes your engine work LESS.
More RPM Is your friend with tiny motors.
And~~~~~~~~~~~
For the SEVEN GOAT mode owners.
Don’t go screwing around with those two extra GOAT settings until you fully understand them.
Just don’t do it……
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fwiw I was told by a FORD wrench that he thinks SAND mode could cause a problem if used on/in anything but deep sand on the Five Goat system.
HIS personal opinion and NOT Fords.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And~~~~~~~~~~~
For the SEVEN GOAT mode owners.
Don’t go screwing around with those two extra GOAT settings until you fully understand them.
Just don’t do it……
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fwiw I was told by a FORD wrench that he thinks SAND mode could cause a problem if used on/in anything but deep sand on the Five Goat system.
HIS personal opinion and NOT Fords.
I think the key to avoiding damage with these systems is to understand how they work. The power transfer to the rear wheels is not gear based, it's clutch based. With a geared system in full-time 4wd the tires slip when there is a difference in speed between the front and rear wheels and as you turn. That's why a 4wd vehicle with the hubs locked will hop around and make the tires squeal and scrub when you make a tight turn on pavement. With a clutch-based system the tires AND clutches can slip, and if you are on dry pavement the tires will not slip, so the clutches will take all the abuse.

So the simple way--in my mind--to avoid damaging the system is to not use any drive mode that places the system into full-time 4wd when on dry pavement.

Last edited:

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Actually, this is a very simple system. Get in, start engine, release parking brake, use R or D as needed. Ignore N (unless you have plenty of TP) and forget P (if needed the BS will put itself in P). The computer system will do anything else needed!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, this is a very simple system. Get in, start engine, release parking brake, use R or D as needed. Ignore N (unless you have plenty of TP) and forget P (if needed the BS will put itself in P). The computer system will do anything else needed!
Sponsored