Do I need to shift the GOAT mode for driving in the snow or is 4wd fulltime?

DavePop

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ok just wondering do I need to shift the GOAT mode for driving in the snow or is it All time 4wd
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ok just wondering do I need to shift the GOAT mode for driving in the snow or is it All time 4wd
It is basically a very intelligent drive system, but not locked 4x4 unless use the 4x4 lock or a GOAT mode that locks it. Putting it in slippery should be fine normally unless you get in a situation where the lock is needed to get moving.

We had a saying when I was a cop in Utah. It is 4 wheel drive and not 4 wheel stop. So think of using the 4x4 lock when you need it because you are not getting forward momentum in the direction you are trying to go. Stopping is all tire dependent in the snow, which you know. Good tires and slippery mode should do it for you.

Here is a nice write up which I think is helpful from the guys at Bronco Nation…..

G.O.A.T. Modes are part of the overall Terrain Management System (TMS) in the Bronco Sport. All Bronco Sports have the TMS with five G.O.A.T. modes but the Badlands and First Edition trims also have Trail Control and two additional G.O.A.T. Modes in their TMS.

First let’s look at which G.O.A.T. Modes are included in which trims. Here’s the breakdown:

• Included in all Bronco Sports
  • Normal
  • Eco
  • Sport
  • Slippery
  • Sand
  • Additional Modes Available in Bronco Sport Badlands and First Edition
  • Mud/Ruts
  • Rock Crawl
Those last two modes are both tied to the advanced 4x4 system that comes with the Badlands and First Edition, specifically the 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock features.

Now for the novices out there, lets define some terms. G.O.A.T. Modes adjust throttle response, transmission shift points, steering feel, and braking calibrations. Lets make sure that we understand each of those.

• Throttle Response: This is your Go-Fast variable and is all about how quickly the engine can increase power output based on the instructions the driver sends through the accelerator pedal.
  • Transmission Shift Points: The transmission controls how much of that engine power is being transmitted to the rest of the vehicle’s drivetrain that ultimately makes it to the wheels. Shift points control when the automatic transmission shifts between gears. For example, staying in a lower gear longer will help you accelerate faster but will burn fuel fast because the engine is working harder.
  • Steering Feel: : Fairly self-explanatory, this variable adjusts what it feels like to control the vehicle through the steering wheel. Automotive manufactures can adjust this through adjusting the friction on the steering column so it feels harder or easier to turn in addition to other means of adjustment.
  • Braking Calibrations : The Go-Slower variable, Braking Calibrations in reference to G.O.A.T. Modes probably controls braking and torque vectoring (raising or lowering the amount of torque put into the wheels/axles) for certain situations without input needed.
If you’re new to these terms, you can find more information at www.automotivedictionary.org. Definitions out of the way, lets look at the modes.

• Modes in All Bronco Sports:
    • Normal - This is the base line for everyday driving and commuting. It’s also the default mode that is selected with each ignition cycle. This means that, regardless of what mode is selected when you turn off your Bronco Sport, Normal mode will be selected when the vehicle starts again. Ford describes Normal mode as the perfect balance of excitement, comfort, and convenience. We think that this is probably about getting as much giddy-up as you can while still maintaining competitive fuel economy. Obviously, that balance is going to be subjective but we’re hoping to see a tuning that gets you a little thrill when you’re getting up to speed on a highway ramp but that can also handle dirt and unimproved road surfaces comfortably.
    • Eco - It’s included in every trim of Bronco Sport and it’s for the responsible driver. It’s for the driver that doesn’t have to get there quickly, the one that feels a little twinge of guilt about not buying a hybrid but still wouldn’t be caught dead in one. Ford says that this mode helps deliver maximum fuel efficiency and helps driving range. Just how much the mode stretches your gas tank will probably be heavily dependent on the driver’s habits and road conditions. We’re sure testing will give us a range once the Sport is in independent tester’s hands. Currently, we imagine this being a great mode to swap to when you’re right on the line of making it out of the backroads to the gas station and need a little extra confidence.
    • Sport - Also, included in every trim, Sport mode is the opposite of Eco mode. Sometimes you need a little more exhaust rumble, livelier steering, and better acceleration. According to Ford, Sport mode increases throttle response, provides a sportier exhaust sound and steering feel, and quickens shifting. This is probably accomplished by the transmission holding gears longer than in other modes. Increasing the amount of time in lower gears before shifting should get you up to highway speeds faster and might making pulling out into tight spots in traffic easier.
    • Slippery - Snowy and similarly low-traction environments require a different set of optimizations to how the drivetrain functions from normal driving conditions. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces, according to Ford. Sure to be a favorite in northern climes, Slippery mode should help on snowy commutes and icy outings.
    • Sand - The Sand mode is a bit more of a mystery. Ford commentary on the mode is a bit un-committal, saying, “May help get vehicle unstuck from deep snow or sand.” Like the other modes, this may impact throttle response and gear changes but we can’t confirm.
  • Badlands and First Edition Exclusive Modes
    • Mud/Ruts - Ford says Mud/Ruts engages 4x4 lock so that you can keep going even if you have a tire that can’t get traction. It does not engage the Rear Differential Lock. However, 4x4 lock can be selected independently of the GOAT modes. This seems to mean that when you select Mud/Ruts there’s something more that the system does than just engage the 4x4 Lock but we don’t have details on what those additional optimizations are.
    • Rock Crawl - Rock Crawl mode engages both 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock and adjusts throttle and transmission response. Our guess is that those adjustments are centered around keeping as much torque as possible in the low range so you can get more power into a slower wheel turn that is less likely to lose traction. Again, both 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock are selectable outside of the GOAT mode dial so if you don’t like the decisions that the system is making, it looks like you can select those and exert more control over what the vehicle is doing. Similar modes in other Ford trucks, like the F150 Tremor, change transmission, traction control, and other systems to improve the vehicle’s low-speed crawling capability.
That’s what we have on Bronco Sport’s G.O.A.T. Modes.

Last edited:

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I could be wrong but from what I read (hasn't snowed yet in my area so couldn't test anything yet) the computer automates everything for you it just knows where to send power and to which wheels in real time. GOAT modes are for people that like to fiddle with things and make adjustments manually in the way the system works? Like if you just prefer to do 4x4 all the time with no automation or prefer more wheel spin or torque changes ect.? If I'm wrong someone correct me and I'll edit my post.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Rgill,
Kudo’s !
That was great, best understandable in depth but simple explanation ever.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I could be wrong but from what I read (hasn't snowed yet in my area so couldn't test anything yet) the computer automates everything for you it just knows where to send power and to which wheels in real time. GOAT modes are for people that like to fiddle with things and make adjustments manually in the way the system works? Like if you just prefer to do 4x4 all the time with no automation or prefer more wheel spin or torque changes ect.? If I'm wrong someone correct me and I'll edit my post.
My loose gravel steep up hill climbing to my house.
I use slippery Goat.
It softens throttle response.
Goes like this:
I button into LOW to hold the engine a bit higher in rpm and into the turbo. Climbing at 2200 rpm in low is far far easier on my engine than climbing at that same speed at 1600 rpm.
Back to slippery and throttle response. I may bounce a little during these loose climbs, if my foot bounces in regular mode just a half inch on the gas pedal my engine surges,,,,
In slippery my foot needs to move double that distance for any noticeable throttle increase.
Smooth and steady wins the race or climb. A bouncing throttle breaks traction for a second and digs holes
Making me bounce more.
Constantly loosing and regaining traction my BS can do with ease. But my roads don’t look as good and I’m sure it’s harder on my baby Bronc.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
rule of thumb, if you feel the pucker starting, go to the GOAT

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Really good write up, Rgill. To elaborate a bit, the "intelligent 4WD" system in the Bronco is full-time front wheel drive that uses a computer-controlled, clutch-based torque transfer system that can divert power to the rear wheels when the computer deems it necessary. In NORMAL mode, the computer monitors the following parameters to determine when/if power needs to be applied to the rear wheels:
  • Rate of Acceleration
  • Wheel Speed
  • Steering Wheel Angle
  • Accelerator Pedal Position
You can see the system in action in the video below. The presenter also demonstrates some of the conditions under which the different drive modes might prove useful. The bottom line is unless you are going hardcore off road you can simply leave the system in NORMAL and let the computer do its thing.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For most situations just stay in normal mode and let the software figure things out. You can switch to one of the GOAT modes if conditions deteriorate and you find yourself losing forward momentum.

sweetwater

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
For most situations just stay in normal mode and let the software figure things out. You can switch to one of the GOAT modes if conditions deteriorate and you find yourself losing forward momentum.
Can you switch GOAT modes on the fly ? Or must you stop ?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You can change modes on the fly, but do not use 4 wheel lock, lock the rear differential or use 4 wheel drive modes on dry hard surfaced roads.

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
"5 G.O.A.T. modes come standard on every Bronco Sport model. These drive modes are Sand, Slippery, Sport, Eco, and Normal. Two additional drive modes—Mud/Ruts and Rock Crawl—are available on certain Bronco Sport models." (short description from elsewhere in Google-land)

In the video, he is driving the Bronco Sport First Edition that has a 2-liter Turbo engine and more GOAT modes. I noticed that his GOAT selector looks nothing like the one I have in my 1 week old OB. I tried out Eco some and notice a few differences from Normal. Maybe I'll actually read the Owner's Manual to get into the detailed differences between Eco and Normal. I do think I'll use the Slippery GOAT once we start to get some good snow here. But Sand and Sport, not so much. I do think it's pretty funny how they made the different GOAT modes have different colored themes in the dashboard. Of course green for Eco. The red for Sport always makes me laugh. Not really sure when I would ever need to go red with checkered flags. ?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
My wife said she uses " Slippery Mode " for driving in hard Rain & said she feels a difference in handling . We do get some major down pours down here . Other wise she stays in the default Mode ," Normal mode "

Last edited:

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I'm wondering whether it's OK to use Slippery mode at highway speeds (more or less) for rain-slicked or snowy roads, or is there a max speed you can use the mode at?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
So I'm wondering whether it's OK to use Slippery mode at highway speeds (more or less) for rain-slicked or snowy roads, or is there a max speed you can use the mode at?
Hard rain , Snow or icy roads , speed would be limited anyway , (unless you want to lose control ), so you may never see 70-75mph highway speeds any way , but if I know my wife , she is probably up there on speed . Not worried about Ice or Snow down here , so cant say what speed she would dive at in those conditions .
Sponsored