RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
so wait the FE doesn't even have the regular version of ACC? i thought there were two levels of it, normal and then an enhanced version with ASsist+?
It has regular cruise control and Co-Pilot360. It doesn't have Co-Pilot360+, which includes adaptive cruise control and satellite navigation.
Sponsored

Robisten8

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition, 2020 Ranger Screw
Navigation is overrated. Most if not all new Fords have Apple CarPlay or the other operating system equivalent. Google maps can be used when moving, while navigation doesn't allow input of an address until you stop, even if the passenger is the user. Even when I had Navigation, I never used it through the vehicle.

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
Navigation is overrated. Most if not all new Fords have Apple CarPlay or the other operating system equivalent. Google maps can be used when moving, while navigation doesn't allow input of an address until you stop, even if the passenger is the user. Even when I had Navigation, I never used it through the vehicle.
Facts.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with all of this

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I agree with all of this
I use Apple CarPlay most Of the time, but it’s limited to areas with cellular service. In-car satellite navigation gains value when you’re out of cell range. Sadly this includes most of the “wild” places (national parks for example) that I plan to explore with my new Bronco Sport. So for practical reasons I’d really prefer to have both.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use Apple CarPlay most Of the time, but it’s limited to areas with cellular service. In-car satellite navigation gains value when you’re out of cell range. Sadly this includes most of the “wild” places (national parks for example) that I plan to explore with my new Bronco Sport. So for practical reasons I’d really prefer to have both.
The lack of cell coverage is a legit concern. I like my Garmin over the sat nav in our Edge ST, but having to have another device can be a hassle.

FWIW, the sat nav doesn't work in the Edge while using Android Auto and plugged in (you have to use Waze or Google Maps). I found this extremely annoying. Not sure if Apple Car Play is different but it makes no sense to me.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The lack of cell coverage is a legit concern. I like my Garmin over the sat nav in our Edge ST, but having to have another device can be a hassle.

FWIW, the sat nav doesn't work in the Edge while using Android Auto and plugged in (you have to use Waze or Google Maps). I found this extremely annoying. Not sure if Apple Car Play is different but it makes no sense to me.
I’ve considered a Garmin but prefer the Sync screen... getting old ain’t for sissies. Now if I could plug a Garmin into the Sync system!

I drive a 2017 Escape with both. But I can’t really say if sat nav functions while using car play. I often switch from CarPlay to Sync but have never checked to see.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
This may not be true any longer, but factory NAV systems used to be costly to keep updated. Do they still charge for updates/subscriptions?

Sparky

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Explorer Sport, 16 VW Beetle Convertible
This may not be true any longer, but factory NAV systems used to be costly to keep updated. Do they still charge for updates/subscriptions?
/QUOTE]
I recently received a mailer to update the SD card for my 2015 Explorer Nav. for $150.00.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I recently received a mailer to update the SD card for my 2015 Explorer Nav. for $150.00.
For that, you can get a refurbished top model Garmin with lifetime maps as a backup for non-cellular areas and use CarPlay or AA as primary when in cellular coverage.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
For that, you can get a refurbished top model Garmin with lifetime maps as a backup for non-cellular areas and use CarPlay or AA as primary when in cellular coverage.
And this may be the way to go. No disagreement about map updates for Sync navigation. The 2017 Escape and Bronco Sport use an updated Sync 3 where maps are downloaded to the nav unit (not on A microSD card). Don’t know if 2015 Explorer has that or not. Last maps update around $100 for my 2017 Escape. A bit cheaper but still expensive. As I said, I am considering a Garmin, or another brand, but the ergonomics of the 8” Sync 3 touch screen is pretty good.

For the latest version of Sync 3, Ford has partnered with Sygic GPS downloaded thru Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and uses the Sync 3 touchscreen. It uses offline maps and the onboard GPS. Reviews aren’t overly positive and it can also be expensive to use. But this is another possibility.

Kperry62

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Hello all, I currently have an order placed for a FE with a build date of 1/18/21. I recently went to my dealer and after a test drive of a BL model I realized that I may not want to keep my order and actually purchase the vehicle. Anyone else actually do this? I know some people mentioned canceling their FEs to switch to a BL for certain features, and I saw older comments about people canceling orders directly through the ford site.

The reason I am not asking my dealer directly is I am not 100% sure I want to cancel quite yet.

I know worst case I would be out my deposit of $100 but that is supposedly refundable (though I do not know for how long since I paid that back in July).

If anyone has any thoughts that would be great.

Thanks!
I ordered a Big Bend in August. i decided I wanted the Outer Banks but my dealer said it was too late to change because a VIN and build date was assigned, February 15 at first. Tired of waiting and with my mind made up I wanted the OB, last Monday I bought one off the lot from another dealer. My original dealer said he’d have no problem selling the BB and I will receive a full refund. Love the OB BTW.

MuddyBoots

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I don't know how it works on Apple, but on Android you can download map areas. You have to do it through the Google Maps app on your phone, but once you select the area you want to keep downloaded it will periodically update it.
Sponsored