Buy now or wait? (Didn't pre-order)

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What? If your numbers are correct, then you purchased a Bronco Sport for 27% off of MSRP?!?!? On what universe was this?
If you read between the lines...he meant to say $31K...the dollar sign became a 4. MATH. grind a salty axe somewhere else, it's a Bronco sport forum.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Thought I should provide an update since I started the thread... I did an extensive search on ford.com and found only three Badlands within 100 miles of me, but over 120 Big Bends (many just dealer ordered or already purchased, however.) I rethought my needs and wants and concluded that a BB would be great for me 99% of the time. So I searched for BBs with the features I wanted, looked through about 150 different vehicles, looked at about a dozen dealer websites, contacted a half dozen dealers by phone, and test drove three vehicles. I kept after it for days as things changed fairly rapidly. Some dealers were selling for MSRP, some had fairly large markups. One BB sold while I was testing driving it! I'm not kidding! I ended up finding exactly what I was looking for, and when I phoned the dealer about it, the salesman didn't know anything about the vehicle because it wasn't on the lot yet. He found out it had just come off the train from Hermosillo, and would be delivered in about a week. I put $1000 down to reserve it, paid MSRP minus the $500 rebate, and got the three free oil changes. My new Big Bend showed up at the dealer in five days, and I only had to drive about 30 miles to get it. I am very, very happy with it. Thank you to all who gave very good advice! Goleta Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Personal perspective. Depends on what your needs, budget, and patience are. If you truly aren't in a hurry and waiting is not a big deal, I'd wait. Odds are, the Sports will level out, and when the MY22 editions startup, they won't be worse and possibly may have some bugs worked out, and new features or options that would be appealing. Nothing is free.
The demand is very high, and every manufacturer is against a wall. Predictions are, we are JUST beginning the REAL chip shortage, and it's about to get worse before it gets better. I don't see jeeps or any other ORV as an easy out, even those are getting hard to come by.
If you are unwilling (and I would say you SHOULD be) to pay well beyond MSRP with or even without A/Z/X plan options, there is no reason you should need to pay over and above.
How far will you go? Cali assuming you live in the west, may not have as many lot vehicles available. What MAY help you out are the delays. In my case, I did pre-order/order in March. The delays put my order behind the eightball, and to this point, it hasn't entered production but does have a VIN. In the delays, I searched local dealers and one that I started with had the badlands edition I wanted, the only thing different from my direct order was a $130 cargo system which wasn't a deal-breaker. I bought the one available and I am in the first week of enjoying the decision. My order is still being built and will end up dealer stock. I have a feeling there will be a quick surge once the Bronco sport line returns to production, allegedly next week.

options
1) wait because you can, and it's the most sensible option (but could drag out for several months, maybe a year)
2)decide what you must have, and what isn't as important, and find one on a lot (may not be the color, configuration you want, but it's a sport and that's what matters)
3)Diligence, search, search daily, weekly, and seek opportunity. I have a feeling it will happen, but region, availability, personal options, all those may be a deterrent
4)consider options. How reasonable is it to fly somewhere, buy what you want, and have one heck of a drive home? pretty extreme but there are bronco sports available. Some regions like Michigan have an abundance of them. But that's a long way from Cali. I can tell you there is a Area 51 Badlands with Tow and bigger tires being built at some point in the Detroit area fwiw.
Mike, thank you for your reply. I did your options 2, 3 and 4 -- and found a Big Bend I'm really happy with. See my concluding post if you wish more details. Thanks again! Jim

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Mike, thank you for your reply. I did your options 2, 3 and 4 -- and found a Big Bend I'm really happy with. See my concluding post if you wish more details. Thanks again! Jim
What's the dealer number so I can collect my sales tracker fee? kidding...honestly I am very happy for you, glad it all worked out. Your purchase summed up my exact purchase. Decided on what I wanted, called multiple dealers, found one inbound after all the posts here on how to decipher trains etc, and pounced. Dealer called me weeks ahead of anticipated delivery and it's been worth all the sweat equity. Sincerely, the Big Bend is MORE than capable, really drives nice, and it's YOURS.
TRULY glad my suggestion helped. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Slewis95407

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Sylvansport Go, 2012 Focus
I am new to the forum and apologize for being poorly educated about things. I didn't reserve a BS, and now I guess I cannot. With the high demand and low supply, dealers in my area are selling for up to $10,000 over MSRP. So, I blew it by waiting. Anyhow, there are some BS's out there. Curious to know what y'all think -- is it better to buy now at a high cost, or wait? I know no one really knows when - or if - prices will come down. I probably can't get a BL, but would be happy with a BB at this point.
I see that you live in Northern California. So do I. I purchased my BS from a local dealer for 500 under msrp. A search for dealer within 100 miles of my home showed 28 BS. All were at msrp -500. Colusa, Corning, Ukiah, Healdsburg and Santa Rosa.

OP
OP
Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I see that you live in Northern California. So do I. I purchased my BS from a local dealer for 500 under msrp. A search for dealer within 100 miles of my home showed 28 BS. All were at msrp -500. Colusa, Corning, Ukiah, Healdsburg and Santa Rosa.
Thank you, Scott. I was able to find a BB at a local dealer for $500 under MSRP also. I am really enjoying it!

jimharrison1950

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend HOT PEPPER RED
I am new to the forum and apologize for being poorly educated about things. I didn't reserve a BS, and now I guess I cannot. With the high demand and low supply, dealers in my area are selling for up to $10,000 over MSRP. So, I blew it by waiting. Anyhow, there are some BS's out there. Curious to know what y'all think -- is it better to buy now at a high cost, or wait? I know no one really knows when - or if - prices will come down. I probably can't get a BL, but would be happy with a BB at this point.
You need to report your dealer to Ford, and they will take action against them pricing over MSRP. I posted the article here but can't find it.
Sponsored