Bronco Sport Badlands vs Cherokee Trailhawk

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Real world comparison from Truck King. Close, but no cigar.

Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Real world comparison from Truck King. Close, but no cigar.

This video has several problems with how they conducted it.

First up is different drivers for each vehicle. Then we've got significantly different tires, the stock off road tires each has are pretty comparable but the Sport had snow tires swapped on. Then we've got the different conditions, that they mentioned a bunch of times. They were not methodical in how they tested the various off road functions. They seemed to be trying stuff at random.

I don't know what they were doing wrong with the Cherokee on the hill climb but I've paddled up steeper grades in mine with no issues. The low range doesn't have a speed limiter. If they seemed to be doing that one wrong I don't know if they were using the Sport correctly in the mud section.

I honestly didn't take away anything particularly interesting from this.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
This video has several problems with how they conducted it.

First up is different drivers for each vehicle. Then we've got significantly different tires, the stock off road tires each has are pretty comparable but the Sport had snow tires swapped on. Then we've got the different conditions, that they mentioned a bunch of times. They were not methodical in how they tested the various off road functions. They seemed to be trying stuff at random.

I don't know what they were doing wrong with the Cherokee on the hill climb but I've paddled up steeper grades in mine with no issues. The low range doesn't have a speed limiter. If they seemed to be doing that one wrong I don't know if they were using the Sport correctly in the mud section.

I honestly didn't take away anything particularly interesting from this.
I agree as far as the tires go, but this is what the local dealer put on the BS in the Ontario winter. Nevertheless, it is interesting that the Badlands torque vectoring rear diff needs quite a bit of throttle input to engage. This explains the results of the rear diff "test" on the Throttle House video as well. When the rear diff "lock" button is engaged, one would think that the diff should be as locked as two clutches can be at any speed, including zero. Essentially the clutches manually engaged. However, this is not the case and the rear dill is constantly under ECU control even when the the diff is "locked".

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
good thing they had the BS to take them back for the tractor.
wouldn't have fit their narrative to have the BS recover the JC.

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I feel like if they gave the BS a better chance on the ruts with more momentum it would've made it through fine, or at least giving it more than one chance like they did with the JC on the hill climb. Also the JC appeared to go later than the BS after the ice/snow got more slushy.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I feel like if they gave the BS a better chance on the ruts with more momentum it would've made it through fine, or at least giving it more than one chance like they did with the JC on the hill climb. Also the JC appeared to go later than the BS after the ice/snow got more slushy.
Well anything can make it through with enough momentum that's not really what you're testing these kinds of videos.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I agree as far as the tires go, but this is what the local dealer put on the BS in the Ontario winter. Nevertheless, it is interesting that the Badlands torque vectoring rear diff needs quite a bit of throttle input to engage. This explains the results of the rear diff "test" on the Throttle House video as well. When the rear diff "lock" button is engaged, one would think that the diff should be as locked as two clutches can be at any speed, including zero. Essentially the clutches manually engaged. However, this is not the case and the rear dill is constantly under ECU control even when the the diff is "locked".
Well nobody should have expected those rear clutches to match a real locker. So I wasn't surprised about that,I still don't think either vehicle was being used properly. It did kind of look to me like the Bronco sport wasn't sending power to all four wheels at once but it's hard to tell because of the terrible camera work.

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
I watched this earlier this morning. I felt like this video was more reflective of tires used than of either vehicle.
Sponsored