JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Just got my "new" used 2021 Bronco Sport – Badlands with 2.0L Ecoboost Engine from a ford dealer with a Ford Blue Advantage Gold Certified Limited Warranty, with 20K miles on the odometer.

A lot to get familiar with, especially when compared to my last Ford (Expedition 2003).

The ride and comfort is great for this kind of a car but I need to know to whether the loud sound of the turbo pump (?) winding up at start up and down followed by a rattling sound at shut down, is as I was told by the dealer: “is normal”.

I am attaching a short file that includes a recording (with hood up) of “start”, “Idle” and shut down sounds

I will appreciate any comments,

Thanks
Sponsored

Attachments

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
No, absolutely not normal. That sounds like the radiator cooling fan. Have someone else start the engine and keep an eye on the radiator fan. My guess is the bearings in it are going bad.

OP
OP

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you Mark - I willfollow up with the dealer.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Just got my "new" used 2021 Bronco Sport – Badlands with 2.0L Ecoboost Engine from a ford dealer with a Ford Blue Advantage Gold Certified Limited Warranty, with 20K miles on the odometer.

A lot to get familiar with, especially when compared to my last Ford (Expedition 2003).

The ride and comfort is great for this kind of a car but I need to know to whether the loud sound of the turbo pump (?) winding up at start up and down followed by a rattling sound at shut down, is as I was told by the dealer: “is normal”.

I am attaching a short file that includes a recording (with hood up) of “start”, “Idle” and shut down sounds

I will appreciate any comments,

Thanks
I agree with other's, not normal at all. Need to get that checked for sure.

Bummer since you just got it.

OP
OP

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you for confirming the previous response.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
No, absolutely not normal. That sounds like the radiator cooling fan. Have someone else start the engine and keep an eye on the radiator fan. My guess is the bearings in it are going bad.
agree. Sounds like the auxiliary fan. They run a lot more in the summer and come on immediately. The turbo is powered by exhaust and cannot operate when the engine is off.

sounds like the fan is disconnected or missing…the motor is definitely functioning. I would get that in as soon as possible . That turbo gets HOT and is spinning all the time. When you are stationary or low speeds, that aux fan is important. Let us know what they say

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
The engine fan assembly was replaced by the dealer’s service department that appears to have solved the problem.

Thank you for affirming my concern about the claimed “normal” sound.
completely overlooked this post.

good news

OP
OP

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you anyway - I appreciate any opinion I can get, just in case it ever happens again.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The engine fan assembly was replaced by the dealer’s service department that appears to have solved the problem.

Thank you for affirming my concern about the claimed “normal” sound.
Glad they got your car sorted.

OP
OP

JWPVB

Badlands
First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks - was done in one day. Interesting that they got the fan assembly the same day from another Ford dealership in the area. Makes you wonder how popular this part is......
Made in China????? – I hope not!
Sponsored