Battery Keeps Being Killed Overnight, Ford Mechs are Stumped??

OP
OP
KingofMandalore
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Another question is the type of climate you are in. If its cold all the time, I notice my F150, which sits outside also goes into a sleep mode because of low voltage. Granted, I do have a dashcam also wired into the battery which ahs a voltage cutoff. But, never goes into a sleep mode in Summer time.
I live up by Cleveland, so we've got the cold winters and warm summers. I've never seen it go into sleep mode though even in the wintertime, I don't think my Ford Pass app has ever told me before this that it was going into sleep mode at all come to think of it.
Sponsored

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
I'm not too sure. I normally drive without that function on cause I don't care for it.
did ford reset the "computer" after the battery charge. This will erase any memory on how the vehicle was operating? I had the battery replaced from Ford under warranty and the issue "auto stop start" would not work. After a follow up appointment they identified that the vehicle is still operating with the same previous thresholds. Once they reset the thingy, I have had not problems.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I live up by Cleveland, so we've got the cold winters and warm summers. I've never seen it go into sleep mode though even in the wintertime, I don't think my Ford Pass app has ever told me before this that it was going into sleep mode at all come to think of it.
I don't have the ford pass app integration for my 2014 f150. But I do get a warning on the touch screen that it is waking up from sleep mode, or going into sleep mode when I turn on or off the engine sometimes.

Wonder if it's worth the investment now that the integration is possible with Sync 3.

OP
OP
KingofMandalore
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
did ford reset the "computer" after the battery charge. This will erase any memory on how the vehicle was operating? I had the battery replaced from Ford under warranty and the issue "auto stop start" would not work. After a follow up appointment they identified that the vehicle is still operating with the same previous thresholds. Once they reset the thingy, I have had not problems.
They did not but I'll write this down as a recommendation to pass onto them, how old was your battery when it was replaced if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
KingofMandalore
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't have the ford pass app integration for my 2014 f150. But I do get a warning on the touch screen that it is waking up from sleep mode, or going into sleep mode when I turn on or off the engine sometimes.

Wonder if it's worth the investment now that the integration is possible with Sync 3.
Truth be told it's nifty if you live in the cold and wanna schedule starts for your vehicle in the winter time and what not. I never had a cold engine or car this past winter, which was a step up from my 2017 mustang cause that thing was straight piped and a manual, so I'd have to get in, start it, and then try to get out of here as quick as I could cause that thing would wake the whole neighborhood and I didn't wanna be that guy. But at the same time I know it probably wasn't the greatest on the car either. Plus it gives you updates about your tires and warnings when something might be potentially wrong with your car, so it has its perks.

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
They did not but I'll write this down as a recommendation to pass onto them, how old was your battery when it was replaced if you don't mind me asking?
I'd say 11 months...I didn't really think much of it until the warmer weather came around and the auto stop start did not work (Canadian winter). Ford tested the battery and the volts where below 12. They recharged it but it quickly feel below 12 again. That's when they changed it out. This did not resolve the auto stop start! I had a follow up, battery was AOK, but the mechanic found in the computer "flags" that the state of charge was not being achieved , which needs to be at 70%. After a reset all is well. BTW, the vehicle always started and I never got the messages you'd received.

OP
OP
KingofMandalore
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'd say 11 months...I didn't really think much of it until the warmer weather came around and the auto stop start did not work (Canadian winter). Ford tested the battery and the volts where below 12. They recharged it but it quickly feel below 12 again. That's when they changed it out. This did not resolve the auto stop start! I had a follow up, battery was AOK, but the mechanic found in the computer "flags" that the state of charge was not being achieved , which needs to be at 70%. After a reset all is well. BTW, the vehicle always started and I never got the messages you'd received.
Thanks for that info dude, I'm sure it'll be very helpful if it does end up being a bad battery. I'm not sure how it is with new Fords, but I heard with I believe BMW's you have to reset the computer when you replace the battery because otherwise it's automatically compensated voltage output from the alternator and what not over time for the aging battery and it won't know it's now charging a new battery unless you tell it. I wonder why the auto start stop turns off in that situation... Maybe cause the computer knows that one of those times the car will shut off and not turn back on? It's trying to stay running to get the battery charged again...

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Thanks for that info dude, I'm sure it'll be very helpful if it does end up being a bad battery. I'm not sure how it is with new Fords, but I heard with I believe BMW's you have to reset the computer when you replace the battery because otherwise it's automatically compensated voltage output from the alternator and what not over time for the aging battery and it won't know it's now charging a new battery unless you tell it. I wonder why the auto start stop turns off in that situation... Maybe cause the computer knows that one of those times the car will shut off and not turn back on? It's trying to stay running to get the battery charged again...
The computer analysis a variable of thresholds before going into the auto stop start (monitors state of charge. Needs to be at least 70% and consistent). All the suggestions I was given, heated seats on, ambient cabin temperature, blower on, not enough driving time etc...was not allow the battery to achieve the 70%. With the warmer weather, i didn't run any systems that would drawn down the battery. Why did the battery go bad? told by Ford this does happen. Thankfully under warranty and hope that it doesn't do the same thing next year. Keep us in the loop.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Oh okay I gotcha brother, I appreciate your help, I'll be sure to mention that as a possibility to them next time I get an update on the car. Sorry, electrical stuff is far from my area of expertise lol, so I try to ask questions to get a better understanding of it all. I have a 2007 international semi truck too and it can be a pain tracing all those wires to make sure you've got good electrical continuity. That being said, I'm sure this is more of a pain cause there's very little room in these engine bays and underneath to see all that lol, and to make matters worse, I just broke 5 vertebrae in my back April 1st, so getting underneath it ain't an option for me right now. Talk about crap rolling downhill lol. But I'm optimistic to get to the bottom of this one.
no worries on my end, anything to offer viewpoints. I didn't explain it well. Sorry about the back...son of a!! Had my own issues back in January and it was humbling. Just now back to normal, lifting heavy again. I empathize. I hope you find resolution. I'm no mechanic...I get basics, my son is a mechanical engineer...he did most of the thinking. And he hated electrical/circuits. Miracle we figured it outšŸ˜Ž

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I gotcha dude, that's something I'll look into doing when I get it back. I unplugged all the cords in the cigarette and usb outlets but I can give shutting the radio screen off a shot. I don't know if the unit itself turns all the way off or not, honestly never tried.

And no the battery hasn't been replaced, it's only a little over a year old but I guess anything's possible. Terminals on it were snug and they weren't corroded cause I put that red anti corrosion stuff on there about every 3 months. I don't know if they tested it or not when they charged it, I'll have to ask them. Thanks for your reply
Are your flood lights on in the cargo.. not sure if they turn off with fob since manually turns on

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Wow, a load test would show the batteries condition, for example:
State of charge,
Available CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
State of charge after the CCA test, that shows Recovery ability.
You can do all that at most any Car Quest or Autozone or Napa or Orileys parts store, to name but a few.
Carquest gives me a printout. I do it every fall and keep the printout to compare with each year.
If/when my battery gets anywhere near the 60% level I change it out.
Thatā€™s usually in the fourth fall.
If my dealer could not find the problem with something as basic as the charging and battery system Iā€™d find me another dealer.
Seems some of you young whipper snappers were never taught the most basic rule of auto repair.
Proper diagnostics.
The second biggest mistake is
Part swapping. Very costly.
The lesson is right here in this thread.
That fancy overpriced yellow topped battery ainā€™t worth a crap without a proper diagnostic test.

Last edited:

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Wow, a load test would show the batteries condition, for example:
State of charge,
Available CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
State of charge after the CCA test, that shows Recovery ability.
You can do all that at most any Car Quest or Autozone or Napa or Orileys parts store, to name but a few.
Carquest gives me a printout. I do it every fall and keep the printout to compare with each year.
If/when my battery gets anywhere near the 60% level I change it out.
Thatā€™s usually in the fourth fall.
If my dealer could not find the problem with something as basic as the charging and battery system Iā€™d find me another dealer.
Seems some of you young whipper snappers were never taught the most basic rule of auto repair.
Proper diagnostics.
The second biggest mistake is
Part swapping. Very costly.
The lesson is right here in this thread.
That fancy overpriced yellow topped battery ainā€™t worth a crap without a proper diagnostic test.
Osco I couldn't agree more!!!

OP
OP
KingofMandalore
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The computer analysis a variable of thresholds before going into the auto stop start (monitors state of charge. Needs to be at least 70% and consistent). All the suggestions I was given, heated seats on, ambient cabin temperature, blower on, not enough driving time etc...was not allow the battery to achieve the 70%. With the warmer weather, i didn't run any systems that would drawn down the battery. Why did the battery go bad? told by Ford this does happen. Thankfully under warranty and hope that it doesn't do the same thing next year. Keep us in the loop.
Will do buddy, thank you!
Sponsored