First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
  • Banned
Ok peoples , quick heads up/warning.
I’m at 10,800 miles and my tread depth gage shows I’m just barely still in the green. All tread channels are about even at 6 mm tread depth. I think they started out at 10mm.
I stay on proper psi but have lots of curves and gravel. I was hoping for 20,000 miles use on these OEM’s and Continentals are a top tier tire
BUT !
I’m hydroplaning like on tires with 3 or 4 mm tread depth and this is happening on good roads at speeds less than 55 mph with minimal water buildup.
High profile, short wheel base high CG vehicle has little to do with hydroplaning but a whole bunch to do with directional stability and recovery due to the Effect of “Turn incidence”.
You may want to research that term.
Knowledge Is Power,
Ok I’m done:,P

Ford Bronco Sport Base model all season continental tires DE64FD67-5DA1-4F7E-B075-629B9AD87AA7
Sponsored

Last edited:

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Try cross rotating the rears when you do a rotation. Fronts go straight back to the rear and the rears cross over to the front. That changes the direction of the tire by essentially flipping the tire Rotation. It rounds out the tire tread compound and if you constantly do this every tire will see every position of the vehicle. There are 4 position. Front wheel cars are notorious for eating, chewing tires. Power and wheel direction are the same wheel. Not great. Also typically in low rolling resistance modern day tires the tire compound is softer in the first 20-30% of the tire to give you a plusher ride. The issue is that as the tire rotates you will get a scalloping effect as the tread rubber compresses and meets the pavement? You should see about a 20% increase in longevity in tire life by cross rotating. Also HOT ? summer pavement will soften the tire compound and ruin you tire life. Hot I mean pavement temperatures of 110-140 plus degrees

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Ok peoples , quick heads up/warning.
I’m at 10,800 miles and my tread depth gage shows I’m just barely still in the green. All tread channels are about even at 6 mm tread depth. I think they started out at 10mm.
I stay on proper psi but have lots of curves and gravel. I was hoping for 20,000 miles use on these OEM’s and Continentals are a top tier tire
BUT !
I am hydroplaning like I’m on tires with 3 or 4 mm tread depth and this is happening on good roads at speeds less than 55 mph with minimal water buildup.
High profile, short wheel base high CG vehicle as little to do with hydroplaning but a whole bunch to do with directional stability and recovery due to the Effect of “Turn incidence”.
You may want to research that term.
Knowledge Is Power,
Ok I’m done:,P

Ford Bronco Sport Base model all season continental tires DE64FD67-5DA1-4F7E-B075-629B9AD87AA7
If your hydroplaning it’s time to get rid of the tires. Not worth killing yourself or someone else over the issue. I would let the dealer know and contact Ford. These tires should be recalled if it’s an imminent danger. I would also call the manufacturer and ask to talk to their customer service and see what resolution they are willing to offer. In the Green means they are safe to operate? Also talk to an engineer from the tire company, these are the guys that design the tires, so they are in the know! The customer service people are flunkies, but you just want them to replace the tires free of cost? So this is a good place to start. Good luck.
Sponsored