Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Just passing along my recent experience in case anyone else is dealing with it:

I purchased my Bronco Sport in March and noticed every so often there would be a trickle of water that entered each side of the back window. It would happen every time I took it through the car wash or when opening the back hatch after a rain (drip down). It wouldn't leak with normal rainfall but the minute you opened the hatch, it would give you a small shower.

I took it to the dealership, and they fixed it under warranty. The issue was the sheet metal had dimples around the back hatch window. They said that water would pool there because the rubber seal would bow due to the dimples, creating little reservoirs for water. This would then get dumped in when the hatch was open or blown in by the car wash.

Just tested the fix by taking it through the car wash, and it solved it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What's up. Info for someone who may run into what I had. My rear window was leaking on the passenger side. I opened the back hatch window and the rubber would be crushed allowing water to leak into the back. What was happening was the rear defroster wire was curled in such a way that when you closed the rear window it would curl towards the seal and be trapped between seal and window. I disconnected the defroster wire and wound/curled it in the oppisite direction. It no longer comes between the seal and window. Leak problem fixed.

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Just found I have the same problem (so happy it’s finally raining), seems to be more like OP’s as the defroster wire doesn’t appear to be getting caught. I’ll give the weatherseal around the window a closer look once it stops pouring rain.

Renee Soss

Outer Banks
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Received 3/28/2022 Bronco Sport - I noticed soap flowing inside of back window in car wash. Later i Checked the window to make sure defroster cable not in the way and the rubber looks fine. A week later in car wash, still leaking. Have appointment with dealership on 5/20 to get fixed. Will let ya know....

Renee Soss

Outer Banks
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Received 3/28/2022 Bronco Sport - I noticed soap flowing inside of back window in car wash. Later i Checked the window to make sure defroster cable not in the way and the rubber looks fine. A week later in car wash, still leaking. Have appointment with dealership on 5/20 to get fixed. Will let ya know....
Service Advisor got me a rental; only needed it for a half day. Mechanic saw the wire / coil for the defroster was twisted and in the way of the gasket. Than he saw a tiny leak, so he removed the gasket and reseated(?) gasket - no leaks! I tested - car wash; no leaks... yay!
Easy / simple fix.

jamaicandave

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Just passing along my recent experience in case anyone else is dealing with it:

I purchased my Bronco Sport in March and noticed every so often there would be a trickle of water that entered each side of the back window. It would happen every time I took it through the car wash or when opening the back hatch after a rain (drip down). It wouldn't leak with normal rainfall but the minute you opened the hatch, it would give you a small shower.

I took it to the dealership, and they fixed it under warranty. The issue was the sheet metal had dimples around the back hatch window. They said that water would pool there because the rubber seal would bow due to the dimples, creating little reservoirs for water. This would then get dumped in when the hatch was open or blown in by the car wash.

Just tested the fix by taking it through the car wash, and it solved it!
Mines doing exactly the same thing, and its at the spot weld dimples at the top of the liftgate glass opening. Do you know what they did to correct it?
Sponsored