Anyone thinking about adding a Race Chip?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Looks like an easy install. Removable for service work, warranty concerns.
Two points:
  1. I would not count on the "removable for warranty concerns" bit. I don't know for certain how or what data the PCM logs, but I would be very surprised if the logs can be spoofed so easily.
  2. If you blow up your engine after installing one of these things and are successful in avoiding detection, then you will have committed fraud.

360glitch

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm a big fan of ECU tuning and the "Race Chip" is not that. I'll be sure to avoid the Race Chip and any other "piggyback style" tuning products.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
If you need more you should have bought something else.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Looks like an easy install. Removable for service work, warranty concerns.
Didn't watch the video but I know from my days as a dealer all chip type mods were detectable on the diesels. I can't see these being any different. You're modifying a computer = traceable. I know a kid that secretly chipped his dad's 6.7L, it blew up on dad. Our tech informed a very peeved dad. We weren't going to risk warranty fraud by fixing it. He understood and had it towed to the selling dealer . No idea what happened after that.

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
What are the specs of it? How much hp does it claim to add to the 1.5? Why does it blow engines?

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
The tiny 1.5l works hard enough and has had some issues.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Tuner and performance chip manufacturers like to say "there's always more" that can be tweaked out of an engine. The original engineers set timing and fuel metering for optimal performance with long term reliability. Start messing with that, and yes, you can get more power, but the reliability will suffer.

ajm0903

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Miata
I have tuned cars my whole life but not with piggy back tunes. If you want to tune the 2.0 I would go with Vivid Racing tunes as it’s a legit Ecu tune and not a piggy back

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Tuner and performance chip manufacturers like to say "there's always more" that can be tweaked out of an engine. The original engineers set timing and fuel metering for optimal performance with long term reliability. Start messing with that, and yes, you can get more power, but the reliability will suffer.
Strictly speaking, tuning isn't just a tradeoff of power and reliability. OE engine performance has to take into account emissions and efficiency. The same engine in different vehicles of the same manufacturer can have varying amounts horsepower, torque and economy depending on application and targets.

I'm not disagreeing that adding power can affect reliability, but just trying to add that there are far more choices to balance (such as emissions systems or economy targets) that can change that can increase horsepower and performance without necessarily effecting long term reliability.

The end result and that there are many invisible hands choosing the OEM path than just peak Horsepower and long term reliability. Especially with modern regulations that look at an average efficiency and pollution target across a whole manufacturer range. Where a manufacturer could choose to detune a lot of their commuter level vehicles so they can continue to produce V8 enthusiast vehicles like the Mustang or the Raptor R
Sponsored