Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I have heard about ceramics, but does it really worth it? My dealer asked $1K for the treatment, and I has had no experience and know no one that has had it on their vehicles. Could you explain and advice?
It puts a very hard (9H usually) but thin layer of protection on the paint. It seems that most of them can also be applied to plastic trim and glass. Iā€™m not sure how long it will last on plastics and glass. The downside of ceramics is that you can get more water spotting because water will bead up so much more. Some of them now have graphene in them which they are saying lowers the surface temp some and could lower the water spotting a little.

The biggest thing you need to know is that the coating will not fix any problems in the paint. The paint needs to be as perfect as possible before applying a ceramic coating. That generally means some polishing (and maybe compounding) as well as all the preparation before that.

I would enquirer with the dealer to find out exactly what the process is. A good detailer will take about 1 day of work to apply a ceramic coating. For a DIY person like me, it takes a good weekend usually starting Friday afternoon/evening and finishing Sunday afternoon. That includes paint correction.

There are a lot of resources out there to learn more about coatings. This is just a basic knowledge transfer.
Sponsored

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It puts a very hard (9H usually) but thin layer of protection on the paint. It seems that most of them can also be applied to plastic trim and glass. Iā€™m not sure how long it will last on plastics and glass. The downside of ceramics is that you can get more water spotting because water will bead up so much more. Some of them now have graphene in them which they are saying lowers the surface temp some and could lower the water spotting a little.

The biggest thing you need to know is that the coating will not fix any problems in the paint. The paint needs to be as perfect as possible before applying a ceramic coating. That generally means some polishing (and maybe compounding) as well as all the preparation before that.

I would enquirer with the dealer to find out exactly what the process is. A good detailer will take about 1 day of work to apply a ceramic coating. For a DIY person like me, it takes a good weekend usually starting Friday afternoon/evening and finishing Sunday afternoon. That includes paint correction.

There are a lot of resources out there to learn more about coatings. This is just a basic knowledge transfer.
Thank you for the information Meanderthal, I will certainly look for more information, specialy the things on temperature and pain protection, that could be of help here in the tropics

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Just my two cents but Iā€™d recommend a well reviewed detail shop for a professional application - usually anywhere from $1,000 to as much as $6,000 depending on job. I decided to coat my still new BS myself both to save money and to DIY this time. Very happy with the results.

Either way, paint correction is key. Wash with Dawn or a wax stripping, demineralizing car wash, clay bar and then 1 to 2 coats of ceramic. I really enjoyed using the new synthetic clay mitt I bought from Griotā€™s Garage.

Cyberpony

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco sport
Use Cquartz on my vehicles.
ā€˜Anything that comes in a spray bottle is not a true ceramic coatingā€¦it would harden and clog the sprayer after the first useā€¦.
Adams grapheme spray is the closest in spray form Iā€™m currently aware of that actually is easy to use,and will protect for about 6 months.
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody else use ceramic coatings? 4B49E618-6583-4691-875B-0F9A1E255D47
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody else use ceramic coatings? 23E456CA-3060-4A6F-AFDF-C54E88A0A85A
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody else use ceramic coatings? 6FFFA088-A8CB-4FD3-AEC9-8EB1838A191B
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody else use ceramic coatings? B1767EA3-5932-4D0B-988D-5E3309ACF503

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
If I may ask, how much did the coating cost to have it done professionally? I'm hoping to have my Cactus Gray Outer Banks in about a month and this is one of the things I'm looking into have done right away.
Sorry I took so long to reply. It was included with my extended warranty so I canā€™t tell you the exact amount. Iā€™m totally happy with it though.
Sponsored