Air pressure adjustment for larger tire size?

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Using the calculator, I got 28 psi for your tires but we don't have full specs for either of your tires. I assumed both were standard load tires (SL) and a Hard metric size i.e. a 245/65/17 vs a "P" metric i.e. P245/65/17.

As far as waiting to see how the tire is wearing, to make changes, do the tire chalk test. Chalk the full width of the tread and about 6" of the circumference, then drive the car straight on a smooth level surface, for about 100', with gentle acceleration and breaking, then check to see how the chalk looks. If, chalk is showing in the middle and not on the outside 1/4-1/3 of the tire, your pressure is too low. If the reverse is true, your pressure is to high.
Sponsored

billyz

Badlands
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I have the same size tires.
Been running 33psi for over 8k miles, no funny wear or any other issues.
Which tires did you go with? Did you have to do a lift kit on the badlands to accomodate the 245/65/17tire size without issue? thanks

OP
OP
altoblue

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Using the calculator, I got 28 psi for your tires but we don't have full specs for either of your tires. I assumed both were standard load tires (SL) and a Hard metric size i.e. a 245/65/17 vs a "P" metric i.e. P245/65/17.

As far as waiting to see how the tire is wearing, to make changes, do the tire chalk test. Chalk the full width of the tread and about 6" of the circumference, then drive the car straight on a smooth level surface, for about 100', with gentle acceleration and breaking, then check to see how the chalk looks. If, chalk is showing in the middle and not on the outside 1/4-1/3 of the tire, your pressure is too low. If the reverse is true, your pressure is to high.
you assumed correctly. thats the same number i came up with but it seems so low to me
Sponsored