Air pressure adjustment for larger tire size?

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
So I went with a larger tire along with my lift kit. I went from the stock 225/65/17 to 245/65/17. I went with the original tire pressure from the door jamb. Should I be adjusting tire pressure for proper wear with the larger size? I have the ready lift 1.5".
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have the same size tires.
Been running 33psi for over 8k miles, no funny wear or any other issues.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
following this link it suggests i lower the pressure to 26psi....
Sounds right to me, especially if the new tire has a higher load rating. Proper inflation pressure ensures (among other things) that the tread remains flat laterally across the contact patch. Too much pressure and the center of the tread will bulge out; too little and it will cave in.

You can confirm proper pressure by carefully watching the wear pattern on the tread over the next few thousand miles. If tread wear is greater in the center then tire pressure is too high. If tread wear is greater on the shoulders then pressure is too low.

OP
OP
altoblue

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds right to me, especially if the new tire has a higher load rating. Proper inflation pressure ensures (among other things) that the tread remains flat laterally across the contact patch. Too much pressure and the center of the tread will bulge out; too little and it will cave in.

You can confirm proper pressure by carefully watching the wear pattern on the tread over the next few thousand miles. If tread wear is greater in the center then tire pressure is too high. If tread wear is greater on the shoulders then pressure is too low.
thats exactly my concern, what im seeing now looks like the pressure is too low as it is. i suspect an alignment issue as only the outer edge cleats of the tires in the rear seem to be wearing ahead of the rest of the tire

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thats exactly my concern, what im seeing now looks like the pressure is too low as it is. i suspect an alignment issue as only the outer edge cleats of the tires in the rear seem to be wearing ahead of the rest of the tire
You only gave tire sizes in your original post. May I ask the specific brand/model of the OEM and the replacement?

OP
OP
altoblue

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You only gave tire sizes in your original post. May I ask the specific brand/model of the OEM and the replacement?
original were the continentals pro contact tx i think they were. i changed to goodyear wrangler trail mark

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would suspect alignment as well. If it were under inflation both the inside and outside shoulders would show premature wear. Further, you would see that wear pattern on all the tires, not just the rear tires.

mustangmech

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords!
original were the continentals pro contact tx i think they were. i changed to goodyear wrangler trail mark
Did you get a 4 wheel alignment after the lift? Why did you put “Wranglers” on a Bronco?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had Goodyear Wranglers on my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 offroad, they never wore well no matter what, I switched to Cooper tires and the funny wear went away.

If you installed a lift and didn't get it aligned that's where I would start. Also if the outside edges are wearing on your tires there can be a number of causes, alignment, under inflation, high speed cornering (most likely not a BS issue)

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i’d go with what the recommended psi on the tire itself says. you can adjust from there to your liking.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Young whippersnappers, geez~o~Pete,,
Buy a tread depth guage. Start with OEM pressures. Check it monthly , start a journal.,,,, ok ok. I’ll say it.
If your getting shallow between the middle sipes your running too much air.
If your going shallow in the outer ones your not running enough air or your hanging turns too fast.
Tips:
Most FWD cars benefit with one psi less in the rear if your loads are light.
All AWD cars need equal pressure in all four shoes ?

OP
OP
altoblue

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get a 4 wheel alignment after the lift? Why did you put “Wranglers” on a Bronco?
i did get it aligned and i was waiting for someone to ask me that! they were a good price and specs i liked

OP
OP
altoblue

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Young whippersnappers, geez~o~Pete,,
Buy a tread depth guage. Start with OEM pressures. Check it monthly , start a journal.,,,, ok ok. I’ll say it.
If your getting shallow between the middle sipes your running too much air.
If your going shallow in the outer ones your not running enough air or your hanging turns too fast.
Tips:
Most FWD cars benefit with one psi less in the rear if your loads are light.
All AWD cars need equal pressure in all four shoes ?
all good info, hardly young at 49 though lol but thanks
Sponsored