Adding a charging pad?

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
You should be able to add one, but I haven’t seen schematics yet or other info about wiring to tie into. That said, I have the charging pad in my Badlands and it’s Really weak as SLJ mentions above. And on top of that, none of these cheap crappy chargers that Ford is using (same in my 2018 Expedition) work with the iPhone 12 and MagSafe it constantly disconnects and reconnects the charging when an iPhone 12, regular Pro or Max, is in the tray. Charges an 11 Pro Max just fine, just excruciatingly slow, like barely charges to keep pace with the phone streaming music.

I’ve seen an aftermarket one for the F-150 and Expedition that can also be used to retrofit the existing chargers in those vehicles, to fix the compatibility issues and get faster/ stronger charging. But I’ve lost track of the link. It might work as well to install in a Bronco Sport... Might. I’ll see if I can find it again. I didn’t order because I don’t ever use it anyway and it was $130. It bugs me that it doesn’t work well, maybe I’d use it if it did work better.

OP
OP

maddogronnie

Outer Banks
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You should be able to add one, but I haven’t seen schematics yet or other info about wiring to tie into. That said, I have the charging pad in my Badlands and it’s Really weak as SLJ mentions above. And on top of that, none of these cheap crappy chargers that Ford is using (same in my 2018 Expedition) work with the iPhone 12 and MagSafe it constantly disconnects and reconnects the charging when an iPhone 12, regular Pro or Max, is in the tray. Charges an 11 Pro Max just fine, just excruciatingly slow, like barely charges to keep pace with the phone streaming music.

I’ve seen an aftermarket one for the F-150 and Expedition that can also be used to retrofit the existing chargers in those vehicles, to fix the compatibility issues and get faster/ stronger charging. But I’ve lost track of the link. It might work as well to install in a Bronco Sport... Might. I’ll see if I can find it again. I didn’t order because I don’t ever use it anyway and it was $130. It bugs me that it doesn’t work well, maybe I’d use it if it did work better.
Thank man

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Can I add a charging pad like the ones that come with the packages?
For trips, I ordered a 3" black charging cable and use a samsung disc (black) wireless charger that I use in the house usually. Can't really see it and it does the trick.

Definitely not as smooth looking as the built in ones, but that tray is where I always put my phone and I don't really want it charging all the time.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
The stock charging pad is pretty weak. Better off just adding a better aftermarket pad (and a lot cheaper).
My charging pad works great. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. Always in great contact with charging.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
My charging pad works great. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. Always in great contact with charging.
Does it enable fast wireless charge for your S21?

I saw in the service literature that is is only 5watts. It would be useful to charge my Galaxy Sport watch.

Also, there is logic in the Body Control module that enables 12v power. It also has a CAN-BUS connection. So you may have to enable it in the BCM. Who knows if the connector is "just there" waiting for you to add it.

You also have to pull the following components to get to it.
- Cup holder/Shifter
- Center console side trim as associated fasteners
- Media Bin

There is a lot of talking over the CAN bus to charge the phone wireless. It even checks if the ACM is in tuner mode to blank out interference.

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Does it enable fast wireless charge for your S21?

I saw in the service literature that is is only 5watts. It would be useful to charge my Galaxy Sport watch.

Also, there is logic in the Body Control module that enables 12v power. It also has a CAN-BUS connection. So you may have to enable it in the BCM. Who knows if the connector is "just there" waiting for you to add it.

You also have to pull the following components to get to it.
- Cup holder/Shifter
- Center console side trim as associated fasteners
- Media Bin

There is a lot of talking over the CAN bus to charge the phone wireless. It even checks if the ACM is in tuner mode to blank out interference.
I haven't seen fast charging on the phone screen so I would say no, but it is fine for me. I do not plan on disassembling anything when I can just be diligent in making sure my phone has a charge. No need to get into all of that for me.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Service manual calls it a 5watt charger. It takes 12 watts for smansun fast charge. ..

mooner44

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Can I add a charging pad like the ones that come with the packages?
I think I found close to the best option and fit for an aftermarket wireless charging pad. I am currently using it.

Wireless Car Charger QC 3.0 USB Adapter DIY Qi Charging Pad Fast 15W 10W 7.5W Quick Charge for iPhone 12 Mini 11 Pro Max 8 Plus X XR Xs Compatible Moto LG G8 Samsung Galaxy S10 S20 Note Android Phones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLH87B4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V7C4D48BWEA8DE2BYBB3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ford Bronco Sport Adding a charging pad? 432E0049-E39A-423A-B277-E5E5B81C4E94
Sponsored