Uncle Chris

Base
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base, 2008 F-150 5.4 L
Drove my Bronco Sport Base 1.5 3 cylinder on the beach 5 times. Dry loose sand. No problem. Sand mode 4wdLow. 5th time, ruts were a bit deep, but still made it on and off the beach with no problem. However, after driving for about an hour, at some point the 4wd temporarily disengaged (said so on dash screen). I continued to drive on until I found a packed down spot near the water and parked. 3 hours later, drove straight off the beach (4wd back on but not GOAT mode) no problem. Next day, GOAT modes worked again.
Sponsored

Uncle Chris

Base
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base, 2008 F-150 5.4 L
Drove my Bronco Sport Base 1.5 3 cylinder on the beach 5 times. Dry loose sand. No problem. Sand mode 4wdLow. 5th time, ruts were a bit deep, but still made it on and off the beach with no problem. However, after driving for about an hour, at some point the 4wd temporarily disengaged (said so on dash screen). I continued to drive on until I found a packed down spot near the water and parked. 3 hours later, drove straight off the beach (4wd back on but not GOAT mode) no problem. Next day, GOAT modes worked again.
Any idea why the 4wd would disable?

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Overheated; 3 cylinder is air cooled 4 cylinder is liquid cooled
Specifically you're referring to the PTU (similar concept to a transfer-case), which for the 2.0l engine is paired with a liquid-to-liquid cooler, using the 8F35 transmission cooler fluid-loop and a set of heat-exchanger coils in the PTU sump area, whereas the 1.5l PTU configuration relies on local radiant cooling (no heat-exchanger) only.

FWIW, If you have a FORScan capable device to watch vehicle diagnostics, you can actually monitor the PTU fluid temperature directly.

The rear axle module (clutched differential, single-clutch for 1.5l, dual-clutch for 2.0l) can also potentially overheat, particularly if you're triggering a lot of asymmetric wheel-spin when the module is attempting to compensate-for.

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
two different animals, but sand and steep loose inclines are when it most happens. BTW it happens to virtually all SUVs in this class.

only the BL has the 2.0L and the liquid cooled center clutch.
the 1.5L models have an air cooled center typical on others like Subes.

no personal experience with the over heat deal but they say minutes to cool with the liquid unit and I would expect a little more time on the air cooled.

keep in mind it's a software thing that protects the center clutch from getting hot enough to cause damage so don't light your hair on fire if it happens. pound a cold one and get back at it.
If you've seen my other posts, you'll know that my new OB had the tranny blow up the morning after I got it. Dealership bought it back and finally found out today that the culprit was a blown up selective one way clutch. It had 40 miles on the ODO. Here's hoping the new OB (and eventually BL once it's built) doesn't have a similar issue.

Sounds like the BL has a heftier clutch, so looking forward to that. Someday...
Sponsored