New Soft "Thumping" Sound when Braking/Decelerating

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Driving home over the weekend I noticed a definitely new sound coming from somewhere in the car that occurs when braking, starting around when you pass through 30mph coming to a stop. It sounds like a fairly light/soft thumping sound that slows down as the car slows down. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce this sound, only when the wheels are rolling, which makes me think it is something with the wheel/brakes.

Tried searching the forum for a similar issue, but could not find anything. I am planning on getting my BB into the dealership to look at the whirring sound that the big "is this noise normal" thread, so might as well bring this one up too.

Any ideas what it might be? It came on very fast and is noticeable over louder music (almost seems to hit a mode of the car interior where it surrounds you in this low frequency sound), so it definitely is a new sound.
Sponsored

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
Check and see if one of the splash shields underneath came loose. The splash shields are those fiberboard things underneath - like the large one in front you need to remove to change oil. My 2014 Focus had this odd thumping sound at 50mph+. It turned out the rear driver side splash shield was missing two screws. Put those in and quiet ever since.

FirstEdition

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Driving home over the weekend I noticed a definitely new sound coming from somewhere in the car that occurs when braking, starting around when you pass through 30mph coming to a stop. It sounds like a fairly light/soft thumping sound that slows down as the car slows down. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce this sound, only when the wheels are rolling, which makes me think it is something with the wheel/brakes.

Tried searching the forum for a similar issue, but could not find anything. I am planning on getting my BB into the dealership to look at the whirring sound that the big "is this noise normal" thread, so might as well bring this one up too.

Any ideas what it might be? It came on very fast and is noticeable over louder music (almost seems to hit a mode of the car interior where it surrounds you in this low frequency sound), so it definitely is a new sound.
I have a FE and notice a thumping sound at low speeds 15 mph or less - any luck figuring it out?

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a FE and notice a thumping sound at low speeds 15 mph or less - any luck figuring it out?
Brought it into the dealership and they are going to warranty replace my rear brakes. Will report back to see if it is any better!

FirstEdition

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Brought it into the dealership and they are going to warranty replace my rear brakes. Will report back to see if it is any better!
Thanks - I will take mine and ask them to take a look at the brakes too!

Andrewp99

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sounds similar to the problem I am having. Makes a whirring noise whenever I’m not pressing the accelerator but my car is moving. Long story short they don’t know for sure but are completely replacing the transmission.

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sounds similar to the problem I am having. Makes a whirring noise whenever I’m not pressing the accelerator but my car is moving. Long story short they don’t know for sure but are completely replacing the transmission.
Seems as though the sound is gone with replaced brakes! Hoping it solves your issues as well.

FirstEdition

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Any luck with this noise stopping after the new rear brake job? Mine is doing it much more frequently now…

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Any luck with this noise stopping after the new rear brake job? Mine is doing it much more frequently now…
Two months after getting the brakes replaced the sound has not come back, so it seems it was just due to a problem with the OEM installed brakes.

FirstEdition

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Two months after getting the brakes replaced the sound has not come back, so it seems it was just due to a problem with the OEM installed brakes.
Thank you - and just being sure was it the brake pads or the rotor and pads or the whole rear brake calipers, pads, and rotors or what exactly? My Ford dealer doesn’t have a lot of Sports that have come in so I may be the first with this problem.

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thank you - and just being sure was it the brake pads or the rotor and pads or the whole rear brake calipers, pads, and rotors or what exactly? My Ford dealer doesn’t have a lot of Sports that have come in so I may be the first with this problem.
My understanding talking to the tech was just the brake pads, but I was not told explicitly. I can check the service printout early next week when I am back home. It was a 2h job pickup to dropoff so I assume it was just just pads ?
Sponsored